A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
482 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Melbourne screenprinters - let's talk!  (Read 3337 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Bond Girl
« on: May 29, 2006 12:59:25 AM »

Hello,

I just thought I'd ask who of you Melbourne craftsters screenprint?  I'd love to find some good places for screens and supplies etc.

I get mine from a local screenprinter supplier, who are so much cheaper than the art shops I know of that sell the same supplies.  But I'm looking for somewhere to get cheaper screens, as I'd like to try out the photo emulsion method and my supplier doesn't make screen small enough for what I want.

I thought I'd found some on a Melbourne-based website, but just when I was going to call them and ask about them, the screenprinting section disappeared off the website!  Shocked  I'm still meaning to call them though... I just never get around it it  Embarrassed

Anyway, anyone want to share their suppliers and chat about screenprinting?  Smiley

PS. I will post mine, I just don't have the info on me right now!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm very into Britney Spears' early work, before she sold out, so mostly her, um, finger painting and macaroni art.
soybean
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006 06:05:40 AM »

hi
I get all my screenprinting stuff from Jones Bros in Campbellfield. They're way cheaper than any of the art stores and stock pretty much everything! You can also get screens made up exactly to your specs(yay!). Here's their contacts: 9359 3555 info@jonespt.com.au
There's also Kraftkolour who recently closed their shop and are going to go completely online instead: http://www.kraftkolour.com.au/
Have you tried the photo emulsion yet?
hope all that's a help! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bond Girl
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006 12:18:36 AM »

Thanks so much soybean!

I did ring that place I mentioned and it turns out they have stopped selling all their screenprinting supplies because some old guy was making them but then he had to stop Sad

Can you give me a rough idea of how much screens are there at Jones Bros?  Also do the ones you get made up have wooden frames?  Thanks ♥

And also, the place I have been going to is:

All Australian Screenprinting Supplies
1 Holloway Drive, Bayswater
Ph: (03) 9762 3092

I just wish they made screens as small as I want, otherwise, very friendly and great value Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm very into Britney Spears' early work, before she sold out, so mostly her, um, finger painting and macaroni art.
soybean
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006 01:06:25 AM »

hiya
Ok, well I've got their catalogue here and to give you an idea of their prices...ummm... a cedar screen (they also have aluminium and steel for a few more $$) that is 30cm x 41cm (inside measurements) is $33.82 +gst. But they definitely make them any size you want. You can also order a squeegee by the cm so it will fit just right for your new screen!  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006 02:57:58 AM by soybean » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bond Girl
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006 12:10:28 AM »

Ok thanks so much for that soybean

They are very very far away from me though, that's the only problem Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fudgegirl
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006 01:56:34 AM »

hey
I'm not really a true screen printer - i do a wierd stenciling/screenprint cross... but anyway, i have a silkscreen that my mum (or i think my dad) made, so i guess this is more to let everyone know that you can buy the wood and make a screen, and you can, more importantly i guess, buy silk that is suitable for silkscreening. We attached our silk with a staple gun so it's not too hard to remove and replace.
Just thought i should throw in my 2 cents..... Tongue I hope some of this helped.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soybean
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006 04:16:13 AM »

Cheesy yay, of course!!
Doh... here we are on a craft forum and I forgot the DIY option!
Hey Bond Girl, especially if you only want to make up teeny ones! It's pretty daunting to do on a larger scale without a proper stretcher though coz floppy mesh =   Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bond Girl
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006 12:47:49 AM »

Yes I had thought about trying it myself, I think there are tutorials around on here to make them... or I have seen tutorials somewhere!  The only thing was I wasn't sure where to get the screen mesh/fabric stuff, and how do I know I'm buying the right one?

Oh and Fudgegirl I do a stencil-screenprinting cross too, but I want to get into emulsion which is why I'm after a good supplier of screens Wink

Also I went down to that place I mentioned that had stopped stocking the screens today and got their last two screens - the guy gave them to me for $20 each, such a bargain!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fudgegirl
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006 01:00:51 AM »

yeah, i'm not sure where to get the screen-fabric... i'll just go and see if my mum can remember.
nope, she said that she got our stash of it ages abnd ages ago...(i'm talking years and years here!)
but...i dunno, ask at Spotlight or your local fabric place.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soybean
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006 03:36:04 AM »

Either of the 2 places I mentioned before sell it (around 20-30 bucks a metre) but seeing it's so light it might be worth even googling a mail order screen print supplier who can do it for cheaper and have it sent to you? There are different mesh sizes for different kinds of printing (paper, silk, heavy fabrics) and also depending on how fine your image is (halftones and really fine type need a tighter mesh) but a good all rounder for fabric is 43T. hmmm...I looove screenprinting Cheesy
ps. I just did a search and found this place : http://shop.gjsmachinery.com.au/subcategory.asp?idSubCategory=42  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Add Glitter to a Canvas Bag
How to Make a Metallic Chandelier
How to Make a Marbled Vase
How to Create a Rustic Wheat Chandelier
How to Make a Recycled Papier Mache Piggy Bank
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...