A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,491
Currently Running With Scissors:
519 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: great places to get cool supplies and what-not on oahu  (Read 9556 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gypsysoul3
PinkBird Creations

take it light, and take flight

View Profile WWW
« on: July 22, 2004 12:16:19 PM »

so, i was thinking, we could complie a list and swap ideas:
i love getting supplies at:
well,
marakia (sp) 99cent stores are actually really great. the one at ward, and the random one in the safe way in salt lake (i think that's where it is) they have random origami papers, chopsticks, and tons of storage bins. they also have lotsa cheap goodies you can use to reconstruct/repurpose.

i love, love, love, the salvation army in kailua!

isle knit on the 14th floor on the century center (i think that's what it's called) on bishop in chinatown is also good for bamboo knitting needles. she also sells lotsa yarn, but it can be expensive--but where else are you gonna go on this island??

if there is anyone else out there on oahu, i'd love to hear where you get your supplies and other cool stuff....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.pinkbird.net
uncommon, handmade jewelry, accessories, and wearable art.

on etsy: http://www.pinkbird.etsy.com

Read my blog: http://pinkbirdcreations.blogspot.com/
meexie
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004 02:10:05 PM »

I think you mean Marukai (for the 99 cent stores). 

I try to hit the Goodwill stores in Kaimuki at the end of the month when they run 50% off specials and whatnot.  I've gotten men's buttondown shirts for $3.00 and sweaters for unraveling for about the same.  For those not in the know, there's a small Goodwill for men's clothes, and then a larger one with women's/children's clothes and housewares half a block away.  Also fond of the big Saver's in the Kalihi/Kapalama area. 

Craft Supply of Honolulu (in Pearl City and Honolulu) has a wide selection of general crafting supplies.  They have novelty yarns and Red Heart yarn...I'd rather go to Isle Knit.  Sue is great and her prices are really quite reasonable for what she carries in stock.  I have been knitting a child's poncho with Plymouth Encore yarn I bought there - $5.50 per skein, and the poncho uses about a skein and a half.  I found a couple of other yarn stores in the phone book but haven't checked them out. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Honey Girl

WiSH UPON A STAR

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2004 07:29:44 PM »

hOwzit...

Diz is Honey Girl.. But u can call meeh Mandi. HoOoOoOo diz site is off da hook lydat. So wat u guyz from oahu? Cause den i bee living ova dea too. I live on da Aiea kind side. So yea hook me upz on sum of ya crationz.... K denz Mandi Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Amygada
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2004 03:54:39 PM »

Don't forget the Ben Franklins around the island.  I've found their craft card to be more than worth the price!  I think my husband and I made up the cost in the first month. 

And let me just say Yay!  Finally a Hawaii "city" guide!  I myself live in Honolulu and sew, crochet, a little embroidery and some other silly misc crafting.  I'm looking to learn how to knit and just joined the S&B yahoo group so hopefully that'll help.  I'd love to find new crafting buddies on the island.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gypsysoul3
PinkBird Creations

take it light, and take flight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2004 06:01:26 PM »

yeah, i'm a fan of ben franklin...i haven't gotten the craft card, tough i really should.
have you been to flora dec? i haven't, but was thinking of checking it out, is it worth it??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.pinkbird.net
uncommon, handmade jewelry, accessories, and wearable art.

on etsy: http://www.pinkbird.etsy.com

Read my blog: http://pinkbirdcreations.blogspot.com/
Amygada
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2004 09:32:53 AM »

I haven't been to Flora Dec, but am very curious about it.  It always looks closed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snirky

monkeys are cool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2004 07:35:50 PM »

ditto on the Goodwill.  The Kaimuki one is great, and I've found a bunch of really cool kid's shirts (that I turn into running shirts) at the Beretania store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SugarQueen
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2005 02:20:50 PM »

If you guys need blank shirts there is a cool store on the corner of waiakamil and I think kalani street.  Anyways it's right before that shopping center with foodland and office depot.  I buy bunches of shirts there then stencil them up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chapfan91
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2005 11:26:49 AM »

I finally made it to Flora-Dec and was pretty disappointed. The prices were high and the selection not great. I was looking mostly for knitting stuff, and they had no needles and very little yarn. My favorite craft stores are still Craft Supply of Honolulu and Wal-Mart.
~Erica
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Page
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2005 05:27:04 PM »

i dont know if anyone is still checking this post but i wondered if anyones been to Yarn and Friends? its on king street i think across the way from thomas park. the ladies there are really nice and they have a great supply of needles and more expensive yarn. plus, the park is great to sit and knit at.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DIY Slimming Body Wrap
Blotting Sheets For Oily Skin
Top 10 Swoon-Worthy Palettes and Sets For Any Budget
Tips For Getting a Flawless Foundation
Drew Barrymore Gets Hands On
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...