A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,536
Currently Running With Scissors:
544 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Stuck for Ideas  (Read 1367 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

defunctbuffalo
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2006 10:40:22 AM »

Do you like eggs?  Because you can make about a milion and one egg dishes with what you listed. 

You could make some awesome berry and yogurt smoothies for breakfast.  Sandwiches look like they're on your 'like' list, too, for lunches. 

Also-- fried rice is surprisingly easy, and can be made with just chunks of ham, some canned peas, a fried egg, and maybe some random other veggies-- water chestnuts and bamboo shoots are good.  You can usually get a mixed can of Chinese vegetables.  But just throw in whichever veggies you do like.

You can also make quiche, either quiche lorraine with some ham or just a broccoli quiche.  It's great for a main dish and can be eaten cold, so you could have it at night and then pack it for lunch the next day.  Very easy if you buy your pastry premade, and you can always keep one in the freezer.

Could you make chicken burritos?  I don't know what kind of seasoning you like, but the same basic ingredients can taste very different with different sauces.  Example:  my roommate eats almost exclusively bread, cheese, and chicken.  (All of which you like!)  She makes chicken pizza with mozzarella cheese and some BBQ sauce, chicken pasta with parmesan cheese and pesto or olive oil, grilled cheese, chicken burritos with pepperjack cheese and some hot sauce, and plain chicken breast on a hamburger bun.  It's all about the seasoning.    Wink

Okay, this may have been more than you wanted, but hopefully it will give you some ideas.  It's making me hungry!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Stina
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2006 11:58:46 AM »

I don't like a lot of texture either and I really hate to cook but I've found one dish that takes very little effort, not much time and is easily variable: soup! I basically boil whatever veggies I've got at home with some lentils and vegetable stock. When the vegetables are done I replace the water with coconut milk and boil for a little while and then put it all in the food mixer to make it smooth and yummy. I find it VERY interesting to watch the colours of the vegetables blend (yes, I am weird like that).

Two of my favourite mixes at the moment are:
* potato, onion, carrot, red lentils, pea, spinach, coconut milk.
* potato, onion, carrot, red lentils, red curry, coconut milk.

I'm a vegetarian and know nothing about meat, but I use to add soy meat bits for more protein, but I think the lentils cover that rather well on their own. Even though you don't like one of vegetable (or in my case: lentils) very much the taste blends with everything else when you mix it so don't be afraid to add something you normally aren't too fond of.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

please visit my etsy & my blog
PM me for personal swaps
Tara1979
They Saved My Life...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2006 12:54:22 PM »

I love chicken, and can be a rather picky eater (I only like strong, odd-tasting foods - nothing bland). Here are a couple of my fave recipes, just omit anything you don't like, and add in others (I change it up all the time).

Chicken Divan
6 servings
2 (10 oz.) pkgs. frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
3 cups cooked chicken, chopped
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I use more like 1 cup)
1 1/4 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons water
1/2 cup crushed melba toast (I use homemade bread crumbs)
1 tablespoon melted butter
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a 9x13x2-inch pan, spread broccoli evenly on the bottom. Sprinkle chicken over broccoli. Sprinkle shredded cheese over chicken. In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine milk, curry powder, pepper, and mushroom soup. Stir and heat
until smooth. In a small bowl combine flour and water and stir until well mixed. Add water/flour mixture to soup mixture and boil for 8 minutes stirring constantly until thick and bubbly. Pour contents of saucepan over cheese. In a small bowl, combine toast crumbs and butter and then put on top of casserole. Cover and bake for 20 minutes then uncover and bake 15 minutes more. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Chicken Italian

1 small chicken
1 c. uncooked long grain rice
1 env. Italian salad dressing mix
2 1/2 c. boiling water
1 can cr. of chicken soup
salt and pepper

Spread rice in greased 9x13" baking dish. Bake at 375 for 10 to 12
min., or until golden (watch carefully). Combine salad dressing mix, water
and soup; mix well. Pour over rice. Clean chicken; cut in half lengthwise.
Place chicken, skin side up, on top of rice. Sprinkle with salt and
pepper. Cover dish with foil. Bake at 350 for 60 min. Remove foil; bake 30 min. or until liquid is absorbed and meat is tender. Makes 4 servings.

Rice-a-roni Substitute Mix
Beef or Chicken Flavor:
2 cups uncooked rice (not instant)
1 C.  of broken vermicelli pasta pieces (broken into one-inch size
pieces)
Try to be of one uniform size with the broken pieces so that they
will all cook at the same rate.
1/4 C.  dried parsley flakes
6 T. instant chicken OR beef bouillon powder/granules
2 t. onion powder (NOT onion salt)
1/2 t. garlic powder (NOT garlic salt)
1/4 t. dried thyme
Mix all ingredients and store in airtight container.
TO USE: Shake or stir dry mixture well. Place 1 C.  mix and 2 T.
margarine in a heavy saucepan with 2 1/4 cups water. Bring to a boil;
cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is tender.
Chicken Soup

1/3 C. chicken bouillon granules
1/4 C. dehydrated onion flakes
1/2 C. uncooked shell macaroni or other small pasta
1/2 C. uncooked spinach pasta, broken into small pieces
1TBS garlic powder, 2 t.. salt, 1 t.. black pepper, 1 t.. dried
oregano
(mix these together and place them  in a small zip lock plastic snack
bag to
add to top of layers)
2/3 C. uncooked barley
1/3 C. uncooked long grain white rice (not the quick cook kind!)

12 cups water
simmer 45 minutes.
add:1 can or 1 C. cooked chicken.
cook 15 min more.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
samglam209
Chefsalad

I love crafting!<3

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2006 04:13:36 PM »

hmm well there was this kit thing that I just got and made but you can probably make it without buying the box of stuff so ya do you like turkey?I used ground turkey(I've been buying that lately instead of ground hamburger because it's cheaper and healthier.It tastes good too.)But ya what you do is brown about a pound of ground turkey then add a cup of water and a half a cup of milk and about 2 tablespoons of butter or margarine and a packet of taco seasoning.And add some pasta you can basically use any kind you want I used these thicker flater noodles but really whatever you want.You can also add a package of frozen corn or a can of corn and a can of black beans,bell peppers or really any other veggie that suits your fancy.You cook that on medium heat for about 8 mins or so until the pasta is tender then mix in about a cup of salsa a cup of crushed tortilla chips and put some cheese on top and let it sit for a couple minutes until the salsa warms up and there ya go um...mexican pasta stuff.....lol.I don't really know what to call it but it was good.
oh and if you wanted to you could use ground chicken instead of the ground turkey
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yes I am a dork.I play video games,I like computer's and I craft.If you have anything new and important to tell me then please be my guest.Otherwise shut the hell up!
Imdee
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2006 11:31:04 AM »

Here's something I found over on allrecipes.  It sounds kind of odd, but it's really good. 

Apricot Chicken
1 cup apricot preserves
1 cup Russian salad dressing ( or substitutue Catalina or French)     
1 pkg. Lipton Onion Soup mix
4 - 6 boneless chicken breasts ( or other pieces if you prefer)
Mix preserves, dressing and soup mix together.  Lay chicken out in a pan and pour sauce over.  Cover and bake at 350 for 45 - 50 min. until chicken is done,  depending on chicken pieces used.  I think boneless cooks quicker.  Serve with rice.

I know that Russian or French dressing is tomato based, but my daughter hates raw tomatoes and this is one of her favorite dishes.  The sauce is really good over the rice. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Atomic Alice
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2006 01:37:18 PM »

Spaghetti Carbanara is good...if you like bacon, crisp some in a pan and set on paper towels to drain.  (If you don't, you can use cubed ham instead and it will still be good)...Leave a little of the fat in the pan and saute some onions on med-low heat until they turn clear.  Cook and drain your spaghetti/angel hair/whatever.  (If you like peas, you can add some frozen to the cooking pasta for a couple of minutes and just drain with the pasta when its done)...Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't do this part, really up to you, before you put the pasta back in the hot pasta pot, throw in a lightly beaten egg, then dump the pasta on top of it and mix it up  so the pasta is coated and the egg is all cooked (you won't really see it except for a stray bit here and there, it coats the pasta).  Throw in the sauted onions and mix with the pasta.  Put pasta/onion/maybe pea mixture into serving bowls.  Heat up some chicken broth (or vegetable, doesn't matter).  Dump some broth over your pasta, as much or as little as you like.  Top off with crumbled bacon (or ham) and lots of parmesan cheese. So good and easy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://foolmoon.etsy.com

Merricat, said Constance, would you like a cup of tea?
Oh, no, said Merricat, you'll poison me.
samglam209
Chefsalad

I love crafting!<3

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2006 06:16:36 PM »

Here's something I found over on allrecipes.  It sounds kind of odd, but it's really good. 

Apricot Chicken
1 cup apricot preserves
1 cup Russian salad dressing ( or substitutue Catalina or French)     
1 pkg. Lipton Onion Soup mix
4 - 6 boneless chicken breasts ( or other pieces if you prefer)
Mix preserves, dressing and soup mix together.  Lay chicken out in a pan and pour sauce over.  Cover and bake at 350 for 45 - 50 min. until chicken is done,  depending on chicken pieces used.  I think boneless cooks quicker.  Serve with rice.

I know that Russian or French dressing is tomato based, but my daughter hates raw tomatoes and this is one of her favorite dishes.  The sauce is really good over the rice. 

omg I love this it's so good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yes I am a dork.I play video games,I like computer's and I craft.If you have anything new and important to tell me then please be my guest.Otherwise shut the hell up!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Erykah Badu Leads Celebration of Natural Hair
How to Wear a 90s Scrunchie
How to Style a Braided Back to School Hair
Try a Twisted Half-Up Hairstyle for Homecoming
Try This Quick and Easy Braided Style for School
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...