A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,552
Currently Running With Scissors:
607 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: beaded feathers  (Read 1788 times)
Tags for this thread: holiday_party_accessories  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

goldfishhead
« on: May 28, 2006 01:35:13 PM »

I'm guessing that I'm not the only one here whose read the Heralds of Valdemar series at some point or other. In the books theres a group of people called the Taleydras (sp?), who wear these beaded feathers in their hair. So, I started making these back in highschool, and found that their a really effective meditation exercise. I can't even estimate how many assult charges have been avoided with these. I usually make 1 or 1/2 per sitting. their just feathers I found and disinfected, decorated with really thin wire, stuck through the barbs of the feather, with beads. enjoy!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
bancher
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006 02:03:12 PM »

OMG!  i love these so much!  great colors, too, beautiful work!

so, how do they stay on the wired feather at the bottom? 

thanks for sharing these.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
goldfishhead
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006 02:14:24 PM »

oh yeah, i forgot about that part! I poked a hole through the feather with a needle, near the end, then you just loop the wire through the hole to keep it in place. But actuality, most of the beads are kept on a different piece of wire, which is wrapped around the shaft of the feather many many times, but which you can't see because i covered that wire later with the beading at the bottum. I...don't remember how i keep the last wire on...but I'm guessing I just wrapped it between the beaded wire on the bottum part of the shaft. I'm usually pretty out of it by then.

I wish I could find my newest one, its the prettiest.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bancher
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006 02:41:06 PM »

oh, boy, now i'm really confused Wink Cheesy

when i first saw it, i figured you started at the top.  but you said the bottom was covered last....  i'm sure i could figure it out, but some nice coaching for a chronic forgetter would be cool, lol.

i get the 'poking a hole' part.  and can see, now that you pointed it out, that the base of the feather looks wider than normally it would be, suggesting a double thickness.  is it double thickness of beads, then, or you just wrap it once without beads and then with the beads, covering the nekid wire?

thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bancher
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006 02:43:41 PM »

oh, and how do you disinfect the feathers?  i remember when i was doing miniatures i read you needed to bake all things from nature...  i think i did for sticks, but never got a feather.  would that burn, or do you do something different?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fallin_dreams
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006 04:03:22 PM »

Oh my...I would love knowing how to do this as well.

All my life I have picked up random feathers and things that I didn't know what to do with....it seems my sister has started to do this as well.

Please please...how exactly are the beads wired on without messing up the feather and disinfected at that!?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goldfishhead
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006 05:00:38 PM »

ok- disinfecting: this is simple- I boil the hell out of them! take a big ol pot and make a feather stew. Then, if I'm still feeling paranoid, a toss some bug stray on them. Then, I usually seal them inside a ziplock bag for a month or two.

As for how its done- let me explain more coherently. First, I take the feather, and I start in the middle of the part of the shaft with no barbs on it. I take a very very long piece of wire, and wrap it around the feather a bunch of times. Then, you wrap beaded wire around the part of the shaft with no barbs. Every time you reach one complete loop around the shaft, you take the wire and thread it throughthe first bead in that loop. you do that until you have reached the barbs.

Then, I put the wire between the barbs on one side, put, say, 6 beads on it, and then thread the wire through the barbs just opposite the ones I entered through. Then, 6 more beads, then I thread the wire through the barbs just above where the wire went last. Its usually a good idea to go about every 3 barbs of so, and don't forget to cut off the feather fluff before hand. I do that going all the way up the feather, with fewer and fewer beads, until I have several rows of just one bead. Then I take the remaining wire, up and the top, and very carfully feed if down underneath the beads. Usually, one side of the feather has a groove going down one side of the shaft, so that is a great place to stick a wire snuggly. So far thats always kept them in place.

Then I go down with a new piece of wire, to the barbless part of the shaft. I wrap the bare wire around the shaft, going between the beaded wire. then, you just do the same thing as you did before when there were no barbs, but going down, instead of up. Once you reach the place where you've drilled a hole with a needle you stop looping the wire through the first bead on the loop, and start threading it through the hole. that sort of fans out to cover the tip of the shaft (seriously, i can't be the only one noticing how dirty this is sounding, right?). Then just take whatever is left over of the wire, and either loop it between loops of beaded wire, or feed it up through that same groove. the hole an also be used to attach a little jewelry loop, which you can add a length of beads to to braid it into your hair.

You know, now that i describe it, this isn't simple at all! I'm feeling very impressed with myself for figuring it out on my own. Really though, aside from a few parts, most of it is very repetitive and soothing. Man, I must have been really obsessed with figuring out how to do this to have come up with this. anyways, I hope that helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bancher
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006 07:09:50 AM »

Shocked

well, thats a start!  lol.  very good directions, amazing, yes, that you figured this out!  i'm gonna try this next week- buying the feathers for this time, so i wont have to wait.

i figure, with my step daughter, we may be able to figure it out, thanks to your awesome directions!

thanks so much, goldfishhead!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
goldfishhead
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006 10:02:40 AM »

Grin glad to be of help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
roxybadoxy

Glcklich mich

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2006 10:48:02 AM »

those are really awesome!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

please help some animals by clicking here!
OH! and there are other tabs so you can do more helpful things. YAY!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Make a Hand-Tied Calla Lily Bouquet
How To Make a Corsage Bow
How To Make a Boutonniere
How To Make a Calla Lily Arm Bouquet
How to do music jam tracks
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...