A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
391 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: a resin diary (process with picture and tute)  (Read 3481 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mixi
« on: May 27, 2006 02:39:14 PM »

this is a diary of trial and error with resin.  here i've dropped down all the process and my conclusions (and questions).  i've always wanted to mess with resin, make some jewelry and other things, so i bought some the other day and with very little information and a lot of courage, decided to give it a go.  here's how it went->

THE INGREDIENTS

the material (from left to right) - mold, polyester resins, catalyst, chop stick to stir, tiny spoon + tweezers to pick and drop material, measurer, dropper, glass to mix materials, and tray to avoid a mess.

the decorative stuff - beads, image, felt (attention - tiny stars missing on photo)

THE PROCESS - work in a well ventilated area because resin is very toxic

first, i glued the image and left it to dry while i started with the other stuff.

i measured 12 ml on the measurer (started using the dropper so i wouldnt spill but resin is thicker than i imagined.  good trial and error.  i DONT recommend even bothering with it.  my bottle has a nozzle that stretches, so not even funnel was needed).  the instruction recommended 0,5 - 2,5% of catalyst.  that would come up to 0,3ml!!  so, i just poured everything in the glass and mixed about 4 drops.

i noticed that if i stirred too fast i started getting bubbles, so be patient!  all of process was done OVER THE TRAY!  resin is really gooey and doesnt come off things easily, so dont risk ruining your nice table or carpet.

i poured the mix into the mold.  this mold is for chocolates and i wasnt too sure if was gonna melt or anything, but it was fine!  i got the image and with the chopstick i poked it to the bottom.

then i added the beads with the tiny spoon.  i poured them in the corner and the ones that moved astray i replaced with the chopstick.

i added the stars about 15 mins later and the catalyst had already started hardening!  result - the stars werent embedded in the liquid and when i tried poking them in i messed the surface a bit.  maybe i added too many drops.

i waited for a little less than 24 hours because i was too anxious.  it was DARN hard to remove from the mold!  the possibilities - maybe too much catalyst makes it stick to the mold (because i've seen people use ice-cube trays and not have problems), OR the mold REALLY isnt appropriate, OR i need some of this product that helps the product pop out from the mold.  another thing, i dont recomend using felt and glue because the glue will become evident on the back (not a BIG problem, it all depends how much of a perfectionist you are)

the final result -
  the stars are on the top layer, then the beads, then the image

and it resting on my altar, together with found humming bird feathers and firefly wings, pictures of loved ones, my coins, paper crane, and symbols.

if you'd like some more info, check out this thread->http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=35779.0
« Last Edit: May 27, 2006 08:53:56 PM by mixi » THIS ROCKS   Logged
roxybadoxy

Glcklich mich

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006 03:22:06 PM »

oh my that is so cool!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

please help some animals by clicking here!
OH! and there are other tabs so you can do more helpful things. YAY!!
vasetthi

Iron Goddess of Mercy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006 08:38:24 PM »

It really is beautiful.  I also love your altar.  What a great way to meditate on the things that mean something to you.  Great job - it sounds like a messy process!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You know, for kids.
nikinj
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006 07:45:12 PM »

very unique!  to get rid of the bubbles, breathe on it, the carbon Dioxide fron your breath will make them pop.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lvb56003
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006 07:08:17 AM »

I have been interested in resin molds for a little while now and could not find a good book or resource as to how to use it or where to buy it.  Your project here has sparked my interest  Can you tell he how long you have been working with this product?  What I would like to do is to make a tatting shuttle with resin.  How durable is it?  Please email me!

Lvb56003@yahoo.com

Leeanne
THIS ROCKS   Logged
magnum
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006 07:37:55 PM »

thanks for the tute, I have this stuff but haven't go into it yet. it was a gift and along with it I got some mold form stuff...so I"m going to try that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

defenestrate!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Cheese Plate Extraordinaire
How to Make Gourmet Turkey Gravy
How to Make Bacon Part 2
How to Make Bacon Part 1
Seared Chicken Breast with Candied Carrots
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...