A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,718
Currently Running With Scissors:
584 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: purse workshop at Hancock's  (Read 678 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

catdaddytn
« on: May 27, 2006 01:33:32 PM »

hi,  Last night, I attended a purse demo/workshop at Hancock's.  It was fun and informative.

I've been having a hard time turning a purse strap.  One of my colleagues got one turned, then I thought I could do the 2nd one.  No way, I just couldn't get it started.  I took it with me to Hancock's and one of the workshop attendees was able to complete the turn.  YEH!  Now I can complete the purse, probably today.

thanks.  catdaddytn
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catdaddytn
smoon26
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006 01:42:05 PM »

Are you talking about turning it inside out?  Like a tube?  It can be a pain with small straps!  I always use a safety pin, although I do have tube turners as well, and there are different techniques out there. 

There is another method, as well, that you don't have to turn.  I use it whenever I don't plan on puttin boning in my handles.

You cut a strip 4 times the size you want ( so for this example, for a 1" wide strap, cut it 4").  Fold it in half the long way, and iron down.  Unfold, and you will have a center line.  Then, fold each edge to the middle, and iron.  Now you have the raw edges in the middle, and the strip is 2" wide.  Finally, fold both side together (raw edges still inside), iron, and sew close to the edge.  There you have a handle strap that is 1" wide.  Takes a bit more fabric, but it really is easy, and sturdy since there are 4 full layers of fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
catdaddytn
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006 03:29:09 PM »

yes, like a tube.  You are right about your instructions for folding a strap.  I have a pattern that uses that method and it's much easier than turning a piece.

I tried to use some sort of turning gizmo and I just couldn't get it to work.  A safety pin is probably just as good - perhaps better.

I'm sewing challenged.  I really have to learn something new for just about every pattern used.  With purses, some parts are OK, then something is always hard and I need help.  Sometimes, it's with turning the lining; other times it's the straps, etc.  Rounded or oval bottoms give me a fit. (I have been given another idea to help iwth this, but haven't tried it yet) Maybe I need to combine several patterns for the best of all. 

Once I figure out how to post photos, I will.  I've made hobo purses and tote bags.  Right now, I'm about to finish one with a round bottom and the troubling straps.  My daughter and friends really like the hobo bags.

Part of sewing is the challenge, though.

thanks.  catdaddytn
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catdaddytn
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Free Video Editing Tip: 3D Compositing
Using Title Templates in Premiere Pro CS4
How to Keep Special Effects from Intruding on Story
How to cheat a look on Camera
Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 Tutorial - Reconnecting Footage
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...