A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,548
Currently Running With Scissors:
704 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: [pic heavy] argyle socks without the fair isle.  (Read 1516 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bryonyramsden
« on: May 27, 2006 03:05:33 AM »

I've been working on these for a while, using different yarns to try and bring out the pattern and get the stitch count right for the size...  A colleague at work brought me a Knit Picks catalogue her sister had sent her, and I saw their pattern for argyle style socks worked in a solid colour in knits and purls, and I though 'I can do that!'.  I wouldn't be able to order the pattern anyway, as I live in the UK, and it isn't worth the postage to get something like that sent over if I can write a pattern to do it myself Cheesy

And so I present my own version at last - hoorah!

It may not be all that much to write a sock pattern in the grand scheme of things, but to me, this is a big deal, because I worked it out from scratch, with my own chart, from my [comparatively limited when you look at people like Lolly] experience in sock knitting to make something I like and that fits.  So I'm pretty happy Cheesy  But I'm always willing to listen to constructive comments and feedback to improve on things, so comments are welcome!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011 10:23:15 AM by jungrrl - Reason: made title more descriptive » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am so boring I think people should be interested in me. 
www.bryonyramsden.c o.uk/wp - Library Girl Knits
elijor
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006 04:52:14 AM »

Very nice socks. I love the color and the pattern.

Quote from: bryonyramsden
It may not be all that much to write a sock pattern
Don't sell yourself short - you saw something you liked and you created your version yourself - pretty good work regardless of what the product was. You know many, many knitters never even change patterns let alone start from scratch. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
QueenOfShinyThings
Queen of Shiny Things

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006 04:56:17 AM »

Fantastic job on those socks! You should be very proud of yourself for designing your own pattern.

I design knitwear patterns and have to be so careful not to lose less adventurous knitters. Which sometimes leads to a pattern not being "all it can be"  Sad

I LOVE to see knitters taking matters into their own hands and making something they love. 

So, what's next?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Optimistic, Quirky, Truthful - not always in that order.

http://www.ShinyDesigns.com
Sewer Rat
Fabric will be my downfall!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006 02:52:51 PM »

I love, love, love your socks.  They're soooo beautiful.  Oh, that color reminds me of magenta peonies. 

Thank you for sharing your pattern.  Do you think an advanced beginner could tackle it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Organ donation rocks!  Recycle, reuse!
bryonyramsden
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006 12:06:08 AM »

Thank you guys Smiley  You're very kind!

Sewer Rat (love the name Cheesy) - the pattern is quite simple in itself.  It's a toe up pattern using a figure 8 cast on (but you can use any style you prefer to get to the right number of stitches).  Knitty have a really good tutorial on how to do any toe up cast on - they can be a bit fiddly, but they aren't difficult.  Once the toe is done, you just do knits and purls until you are ready for the heel, so the only thing you need to do there is keep track of which row you are on (and trust me, you'll get used to the run of the argyle pattern so that you don't need to refer back to it very often).  The heel is a short row one, and again, can be a bit fiddly, but it isn't difficult (I think there is a tutorial on Knitty for that too).  As long as you are careful you'll be fine, but I'm always available to help out if you get stuck Smiley  The yarn, incidentally, is from www.pureknits.com and is Hand Jive Yarns Nature's Palette in Indian Paintbrush.  It is very very very yummy Cheesy

Next up?  I have to make some socks for a colleague at work - I promised I would when she said she was fed up of shop bought socks digging in to her ankles.  I said I'd make them before I heard what measurements she has - a foot circ of 8.75" but an ankle circ of 11"...  Soooo, next up is a bit of maths to make some top down socks with big ankles without a big foot.  I'm thinking 2x2 ribbing and some heavy decreasing after the heel flap...  After that, who knows but I suspect it might be another sock one - I'm itching to play with stitch patterns and socks are a fab way to wear patterns and colours you might not wear otherwise Cheesy 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am so boring I think people should be interested in me. 
www.bryonyramsden.c o.uk/wp - Library Girl Knits
Knit_core
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I put the RAGE in beverage.

Too lazy to be evil

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006 11:27:58 PM »

Oh!  I like those!  One of my resolutions for this summer is to knit socks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by."  Douglas Adams

Debbies only get respect in the knitting world.  How unfair is that?

Because Poe wrote on both of them.

Anyone up for a Jasper Fforde swap?
SylvChezPlum
Knitting and crocheting in France

J'adoooore Crafster !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006 12:06:30 AM »

Great job Bryony !   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Patterns & free Patterns: ChezPlum - Blog - Etsy -
Rav - Craftsy
Corntree
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006 08:07:39 PM »

Those are really nice.  I love the color and they look so comfy.  Good on you for designing and making your own socks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
worthwhilegirl
my metal baby

We can't all be girl scouts Millie.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006 08:11:44 PM »

I still love too!! Smiley

I test knit these & it is an awesome pattern!!

I have a picture of my test knit version on my blog:

http://www.useyourhands.blogspot.com

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.betweenstupidandclever.com
yep I got a knitting blog

-It's making me blue, Pantone 292....
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a Low Ponytail with an Extreme Side Part
3 Simple Tricks to Hide Your Roots
Great Homecoming Hair Styles For Cheap
How to Add Vintage Glamour to Long Hair
Beauty Field Test: Fake Bangs for the Noncommittal
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...