A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,762
Currently Running With Scissors:
383 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Craft stores with a wide variety of supplies in Vancouver or Burnaby?  (Read 5398 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

catchstars
« on: May 25, 2006 04:47:08 PM »

Since the sad demise of Lewiscraft, I've been feeling bereft. Do any of you lovely craftsters know of a general variety craft store in Vancouver or Burnaby? I'd prefer to not have to cross the Lions Gate or bus to Richmond to pay a visit to Michaels.

Some of the things I miss from Lewiscraft include: silver findings for jewelry (especially clasps and pinbacks), the wide spectrum of colours of Lily Sugar and Cream yarn, and tatting supplies (Michaels doesn't carry anything for shuttle or needle tatting, and the sales associates had no clue what I was talking about). If anyone knows of any stores that carry these things, I'd be extremely grateful!

Bonus points if anyone can point me in the direction of Crafters' Goop or E6000!

Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftydame
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006 10:09:52 PM »

i don't know either.... did you post this on the vancraftster flickr group?

i like to buy silver findings for jewelery at country beads on 4th, i find they're cheaper and have better selection than michaels does. unfortunately, they're in kits, and i hate kits, so i rarely go there!

does zellers sell lily sugar and cream yarn? isn't there a zellers at metrotown? i have no clue about the tatting supplies. there are a few fancier yarn stores in kits, maybe one of them will carry it?

isn't it sad that we need to go so far for simple stuff?

have you found E6000 before? i was under the impression it wasn't available in canada. i'd given up on searching for it!

EDIT: i realized that kits might also mean beading kits, when really i meant kitsilano. just clarifying.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006 01:21:48 AM by crafty_dame » THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
catchstars
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006 10:45:20 PM »

Vancouver can be so dry when it comes to craft supplies.

Zellers only has a few of the boring colours of Bernat Kitchen cotton. You know, the "country kitchen" type colours: beige, cream, slate blue, rose, and varigated variations on those colours. If I wanted to make dishcloths for my aunts, I'd be all over that. They just aren't the sort of colours that I like for me. I want bright blues and pinks, green, chocolate brown, or black! I made a purse based on the one-piece clutch construction from the Happy Hooker, and the Sugar and Cream cotton worked up so well. I can't get enough of it. Unfortunately, the skeins I had on hand were from Lewiscraft.

I think I'll call some of the yarn stores in Kits about the tatting supplies. Thanks for the idea.

Michaels carried E6000 at their store in North Van the last time I was there, which was last summer. It wasn't with the other adhesives, though. It was with the plastic backed "jewels" for clothing decoration.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2006 10:48:52 PM by catchstars » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Beach
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006 08:26:50 AM »

I hear you on the frustration - it appears that Vancouver proper lacks a general craft store.  I drag myself to the Michaels in Park Royal shopping centre in North Van when I need items spanning various crafts.  I was pretty sure I bought E6000 there too but maybe I'm wrong. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now selling awesomeness with my partners in craftiness!
Our website: http://maked.ca
Our blog: http://baremaked.blogspot.com/
Our shop: http://maked.etsy.com
funkymunky

i have not gained weight

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006 08:29:22 AM »

In Gibsons which is a 40 minute ferry ride from Vancouver we have a great smaller craft store in Molly's Lane Market..Great bead selection as well as just about everything else.
Make for a fun day trip out here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the three p's of my sewing
no plan....no pattern...no pins

None of the cute girls in the pics are me...they are my kids...girlfreinds of sons.....
Dharmasabha
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006 10:05:50 PM »

There's also a Michael's in Coquitlam near Coquitlam Centre.  It's fairly easy to get to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lead us not into temptation, for we can find it ourselves.
lexis
dreamer

waist deep

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006 09:13:00 AM »

I don't know if this qualifies as a proper craft store- but I seem to go there more than Micheals- well, let's admit it...Micheal's is a RIP-OFF!!! ahem- sorry, But I go to RubyDog's TONS for all my paper, and miscellaneous needs. She has a little of everything in there-even odd fibres, jewelry bits, and milagros. it is a dream to spend a good hour or so- carefully checking out every single bin, cubby, drawer and crevice there.
Main Street and 32nd?? Ooh, not sure.. will try to find the actual address...

As for yarn, wool and all that stuff. The gals at Birkeland Bothers (again, on Main street) could probably help you out for finding a place for tatting supplies etc..

hope that helps. i dont know...?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catchstars
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006 11:34:08 AM »

I love Ruby Dogs! I need to go in with a budget, or I'd probably overspend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lexis
dreamer

waist deep

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006 01:34:57 PM »

I love Ruby Dogs! I need to go in with a budget, or I'd probably overspend.

Guaranteed- no matter how much or how little in my wallet...I always end up with WAY more stuff  than planned.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftydame
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006 10:17:08 PM »

i really need to check out ruby dogs.... i've been avoiding main street when supply shopping, because i always go overboard at urban source!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...