A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,405
Currently Running With Scissors:
735 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Adding Stiches  (Read 600 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

livlif2thefulest
Always gonna be Craftin'

Fat Cat!

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2004 03:27:53 PM »

Is adding stiches the same as yo stiches? My pattern says to add 35 stiches to the end of the next 2 rows, does that mean yo 35 times at the end of each row? I've been trying to figure this out and thought someone on here would try to help.
Jody
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to live by:
Live Life To The Fullest
mew
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004 06:08:23 PM »

Hmm, I've never heard of increases referred to as "adding" stitches, but it could depend on the context.

A YO isn't really a good increase to use, especially when it asks for one than one increase per row. It tends to leave a rather large hole (which is why it's used for lace patterns), and if you do two YOs for instance, when knitting them you need to k1, p1, instead of knitting or purling both, or you'd just end up with one stitch again. And YOs cannot really be done at the end of rows (or not very successfully..) since you cannot knit into a YO that isn't connected to the next stitch.

http://www.wonderful-things.com/newknit4c.htm shows what different increases look like, and just follow the links along the bottom to find the appropriate increase page for the look you want.

BUT!

On the other hand, to me it makes more sense if the "addind" stitches means to cast on 35 stitches.
You cannot cast on more stitches on the beginning of the row, since the yarn would be going in the wrong direction, so it makes sense to cast on at the end of a row.
I suggest reading over the pattern carefully, and think of what the finished piece you're working on should look like.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2004 08:19:44 AM »

I agree, you should be casting on those 35 stitches.  There are a couple of castons that you can use here - the cable cast on, the knitted cast on, and the single cast on will all work, but they'll have different degrees of stretchiness - with single being the loosest and cable being the tightest. 

Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
livlif2thefulest
Always gonna be Craftin'

Fat Cat!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004 09:03:36 AM »

Thanks!! I'm a somewhat new knitter and I really couldn't get this pattern. I didn't even know that you could cast on at the end of the row. I guess I will always have something to learn about knitting.  Tongue Thanks again!
Jody
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to live by:
Live Life To The Fullest
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Extreme Website Makeover - Choosing Background Color and Alignment
Extreme Website Makeover - Editing a Layout in Fireworks®
Extreme Website Makeover - Creating a Tracing Image
Extreme Website Makeover - New Document and Preview in Browser Preferences
Extreme Website Makeover - Setting Up the Site Definition
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...