A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,496
Currently Running With Scissors:
654 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help Me!!! Why Can't I Hold It Properly  (Read 1116 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crazymasie
« on: May 25, 2006 06:46:20 AM »

My problem is that I can't hold the hook and yarn like it says in the book (Happy Hooker).

I hold my yarn llike I do when I knit, hook and yarn in the same hand, and I throw the yarn as if I was knitting.

I still get the same result for all the basics stitches (I am still learning), but it is really bothering me that I can't hold the yarn with the left hand.  When I try I ended up getting all stressed and the yarn becomes loose and falls of my fingers.  I hold the yarn exactly like the book says wrapped around my little finger then around and over my first finger, and then complete breakdown.

When I crochet my way i am like a speed demon, but the 'official' way and I am like a elephant playing a piano.

I hate being defeated but I can't see what to do, I have watched videos consulted other books etc, but my fingers say no.

Is it a bad thing to crochet like I knit or must I practise, practise , practise and learn the correct way?  Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jane feebles
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006 07:13:18 AM »

You could call it 'continental crochet'  Tongue
I hold the yarn in my left hand looped around my index finger, and I've been crocheting happily for years.  It doesn't flop around then.  I'm still trying to get the knack of having yarn balanced over  fingers instead of looped or pinched. I think it's because I have really short fingers: there's less finger for the yarn to stay on than most people
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do you stitch? Do you bitch? Do you live in BrisVegas?? http://brisbanesnb.wordpress.com/

sighing, she stared wist-fully across the crowded buffet table
Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Loving life being a full-time wife

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006 07:35:18 AM »

Quote from: crazymasie

I hold my yarn llike I do when I knit, hook and yarn in the same hand, and I throw the yarn as if I was knitting.

When I crochet my way i am like a speed demon,

I have a friend that crochets this same way (she's a knitter who taught herself to crochet) and she produces great projects!

I say don't worry about what the book says, just go with what's most comfortable to you!!!!!  Crafting is supposed to be fun, not stressful  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazymasie
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006 08:49:20 AM »

I have a friend that crochets this same way (she's a knitter who taught herself to crochet) and she produces great projects!

I say don't worry about what the book says, just go with what's most comfortable to you!!!!!  Crafting is supposed to be fun, not stressful  Grin

That was my theory!!!!

Grrrr, I hate to be beaten. Angry
THIS ROCKS   Logged
barefootchick

beloved daughter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006 09:53:23 AM »

there's lots of different methods to crochet.

i was taught to hold the yarn in my left hand and hook in my right, but that wouldn't work for my mom because she's left-handed... so she'd crochet the other way around. also, because i get screwed up when i try to knit. i'm slow as an ox with knitting because i can't hold the yarn in my right hand as well, and have a hard time learning to do it with the yarn in my left hand.

don't feel defeated. as long as you're doing it... that's what's important. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kelly
And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. - Kahlil Gibran

my blog
Aphadon
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006 01:55:29 PM »

According to most directions, I hold my crochet hook upside down. Don't worry about it, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks or says, only that you're doing what's comfortable and what works.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Missklo

Yarngasm!! Now that's good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006 08:37:36 PM »

Not sure how I learned to hold my yarn, but I don't loop anything.  I do hold it in the opposite hand as my hook, but I kind of pinch the yarn with my pinky and that's it.  When I don't crochet for a while the next time I do my finger gets a good work out, but that's just how I've always held it.  Whatever is comfortable is what you should stick with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AmigurumiMan
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006 10:17:55 PM »

I have to say, although everyone else here is right to say that you should do whatever works best for you, that when I first started crocheting I used my own method of holding the yarn because it seemed like a more comfortable grip, and I thought that it was fine for a long time. I just couldn't understand why my projects always started out wide and got narrower and narrower, or why my fingers felt so lame after I'd been working for a while.

Eventually I listened to my wife and tried doing it the way most people do. It felt very awkward at first, but got much better results once I got used to it.

So yes, you should feel free to do whatever is comfortable and works, but you might find in the end that your tension will be better (more even gauge = better-looking projects, etc.) if you hold the yarn with the other hand.

(By the way, I've tried to remember how I used to do it, and I can't. My fingers just don't want to do anything but the "official" way!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AngiR
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006 04:20:05 PM »

I can understand the learning from a left hander thing.  My mom is a lefty and taught me to crochet, and I'm right handed.  The way I pull the yarn through the loop and the way I hold my yarn aren't right, according to a friend of mine, but my stitches and tension are just fine.  I drape the yarn over my little finger, then bring it up and loop it once around my index finger. 
When it comes to knitting, I knit continental style.  I also don't hold my yarn any differently then when I crochet.  I actually hold it the same way. And I can knit faster than most of my friends that do it using the throw method.
It all depends on what you are comfortable with. But when you start doing some of the fancier relief stitches, it is much much easier to have the yarn in the opposite hand.  I would consider at least practicing with swatches until it doesn't feel so alien.  Don't stress about it. Learn at your own pace.  And if it doesn't work.  Eh?  Who cares.  As long as the project turns out the way you want it to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lvb56003
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006 09:44:42 AM »

If I understand you correctly when you knit you actually pick up the yarn and wrap it around the needle (wrap w/left hand) so if this is so try this for fun:

After you tie the yarn on to the crochet hook, hold the needle in your right hand the same way you hold your knitting needle with the hook facing you. Place the knotted loop under your thumb so that it does not move  Wrap the yarn the same way you would around your hook.  Take your left hand and grab the knotted loop on the bottom of the 2 threads and slowly slide it up the needle and then pull it over the hook.  This is how I teach my new crocheters how to start a chain until they get comfortable holding the hook and yarn or develop their own method.  I would do that for a while and see where it takes you.  My guess is you will eventually extend a finger on your left hand somehow the same way you would if it were another knitting needle. 

I usually get my students to start the chain out on their finger first so that they understand what the yarn is doing but you probably don't need to do that.

I hope you catch on in your own time and in your own way because we all can't wait to see what you make once you find your nitch!

Leeanne
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Monocle Charm Necklace
How to Make a Beaded Bracelet
Beading: Basic Beading Terms to Know
Beading: Materials for Getting Started
How to Byzantine Chainmaille
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...