A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,557
Currently Running With Scissors:
734 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Circular Yoke, too retro?  (Read 1069 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rhiandmoi
« on: May 24, 2006 02:07:29 PM »

I have a great idea for a sweater featuring a skully fair isle pattern that if I were a braver person, I would design with steeks. But I am not a brave person. Plus I have never even knit an existing tested pattern with steeks, so I don't think that I really have any business designing a sweater using them. So I was thinking how about a circular yoke? Is that a style that is ready to come back? The sweater would be a gift for a friend that lives in Minnesota, and he is nice enough that he would wear it even if it was really unstylish. But I would rather not give a horribly unstylish gift. What do you all think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
maritimah

Nothing like a good cone bra to spice up your life

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006 03:15:37 PM »

SO. WEIRD. I just had the EXACT same idea last weekend!!! My plan is to mix it up - do a really trad style (circular yoke) with trad motif colours (white, grey, black) and a not-so-trad background colour (hot pink, anyone?) and not-so-trad motifs (skulls etc.) I've ordered some more motif yarn and it should arrive soon. I'm excited, so why shouldn't you (or he) be??? I say go for it! and if you decide to go for it, wanna race?  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rhiandmoi
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006 03:48:59 PM »

Cheesy I am glad I'm not the only one thinking like this. We could be starting a trend. What yarn are you going to use? I've never done a sweater in fingering weight, so I don't even know how much to order.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006 04:46:21 PM »

I dunno, as far as fair isle sweaters go, has the circular yoke ever gone out of style?  Ah well, don't trust me, I'm notoriously unstylish.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
aunt carrot

pom-poms make the heart grow fonder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006 04:52:06 PM »

I have been dreaming of a skully fair isle sweater for awhile now. I still haven't finished knitting my first multiple-color fair isle project though (a retro-reindeer beanie in pink and dark green) beacause it was so frustrating. It was supposed to be my practice project before designing a skulls-n-hearts yoke pattern... So yeah, I think that would be pretty much awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I didn't and don't want to be a 'feminine' version or a diluted version or a special version or a subsidiary version or an ancillary version or an adapted version of the heroes I admire. I want to be the heroes themselves." --Joanna Russ.
maritimah

Nothing like a good cone bra to spice up your life

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006 08:02:32 PM »

Cheesy I am glad I'm not the only one thinking like this. We could be starting a trend. What yarn are you going to use? I've never done a sweater in fingering weight, so I don't even know how much to order.

I'm not ambitious enough to commit to fingering weight, so I'm going with some Peruvian Highland Wool that I ordered from Elann. I had ordered the hot pink to knit a Chicknits Ribby Cardie but I don't know what I was thinking because it's totally not my style. So it's been sitting around waiting for me to have some divine inspiration.

I dunno, as far as fair isle sweaters go, has the circular yoke ever gone out of style?  Ah well, don't trust me, I'm notoriously unstylish.  Cheesy

I don't think something like a yoked sweater goes out of style per se, it just might not be the trend these days  Wink Who cares anyway, as long as we think it's awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

indienial
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006 01:20:53 AM »

okay, that's weird... i've started one already with a fair isle pattern on skulls and hearts, which is hopefully going to look *similar* to the Fairly Easy Fair Isle cardigan in SNB nation... except that I'm knitting top down raglan in the round.

It's been on hold while I was making Ysolda's Apocalypse cardy, but I can't wait to pull it out tonight. Want me to post pics? I will have to take some first, or find someone with a decent camera to take them for me!

we all rock! yay skully fair isle.

x Clementine
http://craftyaction.blogspot.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aunt carrot

pom-poms make the heart grow fonder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006 10:52:14 AM »

I'd like to see it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I didn't and don't want to be a 'feminine' version or a diluted version or a special version or a subsidiary version or an ancillary version or an adapted version of the heroes I admire. I want to be the heroes themselves." --Joanna Russ.
indienial
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006 11:37:26 PM »

I pulled it out last night, and wow is it crap! haha. my knills have advanced a bit since last year hopefully... it looks like it was knit for a three-shouldered Britney Spears (I lost a marker somewhere and went a bit crazy, and it's very, very short). I will take some pics over the weekend tho and put them up to give you a laugh!

x Clementine
http://craftyaction.blogspot.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lupinbunny

the bunny with the loops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006 02:48:05 AM »

i am obsessed with the fair isle right now! okay, i copped out and am mosaic-knitting anatolia,  but when that's done i am TOTALLY doing a round yoked sweater.... mmmm...
i saw a girl at the supermarket last night with the most GORGEOUS (vintage, machine-knit) round-yoke top. the yoke was fair-isles, then knit in lace right up to a high neck. beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Graffiti Wildstyle
How to Design Short Anime Characters
How to Do Basic Paint Handling Techniques
How to Choose Paint and Colours
How to Apply Graffiti
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...