A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,507
Currently Running With Scissors:
487 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: this is your brain on fabric... dealing with our addictions  (Read 59031 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FreakieGeekie
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Queen of Quirky, lover of all things cute and creepy

Proudly lets her freak flag fly

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #400 on: January 13, 2013 11:26:51 PM »

What a stash! Glad it's not mine X3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

adrig
« Reply #401 on: February 04, 2013 02:28:13 PM »

Well, it is hard to restrain yourself and not buy the things that you want. I crochet and knit, so I have a yarn addiction. My problem is that I am really picky when it comes to wool and I want the best wool I can find. Once I spent more than I have to for wool. I think the best way to go is to really think if you need what you are going to buy, and have the guts to tell yourself NO! Even if your inner tells you BUT PLEAAASSEEEE!!! It is soooo cute and blah blah blah! Really think about it. Then you can graduate and maybe this can help. I save certain amount of money every month and say how much do I really want to spend? and what projects do I want to make and really after you buy the yarn or textile, really but I mean really use it and you are not allowed to buy more unless is really necessary (extremely necessary). This has helped me a lot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FreakieGeekie

« Reply #402 on: February 04, 2013 10:17:28 PM »

I've been doing that here lately. I think "Okay, what will I use this for and am I really going to be using it soon?" Most of the time the answer is no so whatever I'm looking at goes back on the shelf.
The only exception was after Halloween: I found an 8 yard bolt of black and white striped costume satin on sale at Walmart for 86/yard. I love stripes and I knew I probably would never find it that cheap again.
I have lots of yarn but it's all acrylic. Sadly, the nearest place with wool yarns is 60 miles away.
I want to start making plush dolls with some of the fabrics I have and sell them online and at a local flea market.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

adrig
« Reply #403 on: February 05, 2013 08:49:59 AM »

I've been doing that here lately. I think "Okay, what will I use this for and am I really going to be using it soon?" Most of the time the answer is no so whatever I'm looking at goes back on the shelf.
The only exception was after Halloween: I found an 8 yard bolt of black and white striped costume satin on sale at Walmart for 86/yard. I love stripes and I knew I probably would never find it that cheap again.
I have lots of yarn but it's all acrylic. Sadly, the nearest place with wool yarns is 60 miles away.
I want to start making plush dolls with some of the fabrics I have and sell them online and at a local flea market.

I love going to shops because you can feel the material you want to buy. Sometimes what I do is go to a shop see how much it cost and then see if I can get it on Ebay. You can find interesting stuff in there. Where I live I can contact some wool shops and in their websites you can order wool or any other supply that you need and they send it to your home. It has saved me sometimes of driving.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FreakieGeekie

« Reply #404 on: February 05, 2013 06:00:45 PM »

Like you, I prefer touching things.
I always forget to check eBay for the materials I like. **facepalm**
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Listessa

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

« Reply #405 on: March 04, 2013 01:44:21 AM »

ARGH!!!   FRUSTRATION!!!!

So I went on vacation to Anchorage where there are a ton of really awesome craft stores- particularly specialty ones.  My boyfriend was super sweet to let me drag him around through a bunch of them.  Smiley 

On Saturday he took a leather tooling class at Tandy, so I took his truck and made a bunch of other stops that I wanted to enjoy.  It was awesome.  I got back before he was totally done at the Tandy store, so I went to Alaska Bead Company (again), to kill some time.  They had a lampwork artist there selling some really fabulous beads.  Of course I ended up buying one for myself, since I have a totally kickin' idea for a necklace with that bead as the focal. 

I got home today, only to realize the beads I WANTED to go with the super special lampwork bead were a couple of hanks I put back at The Bead Shack a day or two prior to buying said lampwork  bead.  *headdesk*  Well, poop.  The only reason I put the beads back was because I wanted a hank of just about every size 14 Czech bead they had.  Seriously, if you are into super small seed beads, they had the BEST selection I have seen. 

But no.  I put them back.  Just to show I had restraint on the whole bead hoard thing.  Yup... 

Guess I'm giving them a call on Monday to see if they do phone orders.  *sigh*  The one place that doesn't do email/online stuff.  And of course this means not only am I buying the two shades of turquoise, but I'm getting some of the other colors I wanted too.  Just because I know I'll need them otherwise.  So THERE!

Not too much justification for my stash, right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
FreakieGeekie

« Reply #406 on: March 04, 2013 02:16:22 PM »

Listessa, that sounds good enough to me.
I have stopped trying to justify my stash. I haven't bought any craft supplies this year save for a few I needed for a swap. But I'm going to buy ONE thing (or rather one pack) I need later this week: a doll needle so I can root the Monster High Create-A-Monster I started modding the other day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Listessa

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

« Reply #407 on: March 05, 2013 02:00:58 AM »

Thanks FreakieGeekie!  Cheesy 
Wow, you have a lot of restraint.  You get kudos from me for not adding anything until now.  Plus needles aren't even a big thing, so they barely count.

Shoot!  They are closed on Mondays!  Sad
I'll have to give it another shot in the morning.  I spent a couple of minutes admiring the totally awesome lampwork bead I want to make the necklace for.  Then I had to refocus on the swap project.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
FreakieGeekie

« Reply #408 on: March 05, 2013 02:21:44 AM »

I think it helps that my sister sticks to me like glue when we go to Walmart. If she sees me straying near the fabrics and crafts, she grabs my arm and drags me the other way saying "No! Bad Amber! No craft supplies until your stash has a good dent in it!"

Darn! I hope you can get the beads you need! **fingers crossed**
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FreakieGeekie

« Reply #409 on: April 18, 2013 07:08:44 AM »

OMG my stash grew! I've been slowly but surely straightening my room and I keep finding supplies! This is insane!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
This Side of Salvation by Jeri Smith-Ready
The Rise of Jazz Age Manhattan
Denise Kiernan on Life in the Manhattan Project’s Secret Cities
Cohabitate and Live Longer
Long-Term Effects of the Airport Backscatter
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...