A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,588
Currently Running With Scissors:
766 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 43
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: this is your brain on fabric... dealing with our addictions  (Read 57290 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

judethelost
In a sane world, madness is the only freedom. -J.G. Ballard

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #330 on: April 26, 2007 09:56:35 PM »

... I just bought about one hundred dollars' worth of miscellaneous (but cheap!) fabric last Friday... the most expensive was this gorgeous embroidered white linen...
Anyone have any ways to stop freaking out about possibly ruining some gorgeous fabric and just use it? That's the main reason my fabric collection is just growing and growing... I'm too afraid to ruin my pretty babies. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rozekitten

Glue, buttons, and a wall. Hmmm...

« Reply #331 on: April 26, 2007 11:01:39 PM »

Right there with you!  I am scared until I get a dressform (For myself and my daughter)  That things will be um misplaced, so I won't cut certain lucious things until then...  You are in the same lovely boat, I guess.   Angry  Grrr... I am ready too, but little too cut.   Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knickerlady
« Reply #332 on: April 26, 2007 11:15:53 PM »

Ok so I'm not the only one.
I walk past a fabric store on my way home from work (well... its not really on my way, its a 30min detour, but thats on my way right?) its not a really good fabric store and the new manager is a girl I used to work with and I dont think she likes me that much... I have a million otherreasons not to go in... but I cant help it, its like an irresistible force... I must buy more fabric, embellishments, notions... and I dont have the right colour thread to take in hubby's pants - thats a good reason right? RIGHT? ahhhhhg?Huh

help...its beyond my control... Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Jean Harlow always carries sugar in her bag. She says you never can tell when you are liable to meet a horse." Movie Merry Go Round - 1936
Wink hehe!
You can see my little pieces of sugar at www.kissmequick.net .au
Now on Etsy www.kissmequick.ets y.com
Stephen Weaver
Textile boffin

Crusader for a day.....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #333 on: April 27, 2007 03:00:24 PM »

I put this in an earlier post, but the way to lose your fear of ruining "the good stuff" is to do trial runs in cheap horrid fabric that you don't care about, make your mistakes and sort them out, then repeat (without mistakes!) in the better fabric.  You may even be able to use the first one as a lining.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Enthusiastic worker in almost all textile media, currently heavily involved in theatrical costumes.  Also love papier-mach and mosaic work and gardening.  Happy to meet new people too. 
I DO STASH SWAPS - SEND ME YOUR EXCESS OR UNWANTED MATERIALS AND I WILL SEND MINE!
dragongirl17
« Reply #334 on: April 27, 2007 05:01:19 PM »

Oh god I just started working at Joanne's today someone save me from myself....... but touching all those soft fabrics all day was like heaven everyone keeps laughing at me when I tell them that Sad

LOL I talked to my boyfriend while writing this and he told me I'm not allowed to go shopping at Joanne's without him there to control me. I think I may actually agree to that just because I don't want to spend ALL my money on fabric after all I need to save some to go buy shoes too Wink hehe
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am the future of America.... Be afraid, be VERY afraid

check out my stuff on ebay
http://myworld.ebay.com/silverlilypetal/
BelovedGoddess
« Reply #335 on: April 28, 2007 03:16:12 AM »

Oh god I just started working at Joanne's today someone save me from myself.......

When I got my job at a local fabric/craft store my husband just said that it was about time I got paid for the amount of time I spent in there.  He did expect some of my pay to make it home though. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

judethelost
In a sane world, madness is the only freedom. -J.G. Ballard

« Reply #336 on: May 10, 2007 12:19:51 AM »

JoAnn's is the worst place to work if you actually want to make some money... *laughing* ...and if you're trying to cut back on fabric addictions...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dragongirl17
« Reply #337 on: May 10, 2007 05:30:55 AM »

I've been good so far I've had money for like five days now and I only spent 7 dollars on fabric yesterday and that was because with all the discounts it went from 10 bucks a yard to 3.50 a yard. I luff my employee discount Cheesy and its this beautiful brocade fabric too which I've been meaning to get for awhile for a pattern I have.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am the future of America.... Be afraid, be VERY afraid

check out my stuff on ebay
http://myworld.ebay.com/silverlilypetal/
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #338 on: May 10, 2007 02:40:39 PM »

My name is Edel and I am a total fabric addict. the biggest room in my house is the craft room/library, I have not one but two tables to work on, one for fabric, one for paper as I am a very sloppy worker and the paint and glue tend to wander when I get started.

I kid you not but I have hundreds of metres of fabric, including about 10 half rolls of fabric, (but I got them cheaply!) thats my problem if its cheap I have to buy it becuase of course its not going to last at that price.

Of course I am totally justified in my addiction!!! I live in Ireland where fabric prices are insane so whenever I travel I have to check out the fabric shops and of course bring home anything that is on sale, so the fabric in my stash is from Australia (when I lived there and moved back here I shipped home a lot of fabric...yes shipped home...on two seperate occasions....lots of fabric) enroute to australia there were a few trips to craft stores in SF, the frequent trips to London and mysteriously a few (many) metres of fabric found their way into my luggage.

then there was craftster...and swaps, personal swaps for the most divine fabrics (stuff I just cant get my hands on at all) joy of joys when beautiful fabric finds its way into my mail box.

I have fabrics in my stash that I've bought over 15 years ago!! I do have that problem with cutting into fabric that I love, its not fear of screwing it up as my skills are good and I am usually confident that I can make most things, its that with a really beautiful piece of fabric, I worry that I'm not making the right thing, that I'll regret the thing that I've made and wish I'd made something else.

but Ive recently been buying lots of vintage sheets, curtains etc from thrift shops so my fabric supply is getting out of hand so I have to go on a serious sewing binge, sewing big things, perhaps castle cosys or something, its about the only thing that will make a dent in my supplies.

and lets not get started on the craft/paint/dye/button/paper stashs

THIS ROCKS   Logged

yvonnevantpadje
« Reply #339 on: May 23, 2007 11:10:07 AM »

Dealing with my addiction?
You mean as in shop for more, right?  Wink

I usually try to only buy fabrics from the left-over stashes (2euro a piece, usually about 1.5meters long) and supplies I really need badly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 43 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Customize Football Cutouts template
How to Resize a Page in Photoshop
How to Add Texture
How to Add Photos to a Frame
How to Personalize the Urban Grunge Template
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...