A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 300,869
Currently Running With Scissors:
613 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 43
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: this is your brain on fabric... dealing with our addictions  (Read 60256 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RonnieCat
Weird and Proud of it!

Pleased to meet you, I'm Shiyiya. *curtsies*

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 26, 2006 07:53:04 PM »

I spend $60 at a time on yarn when I go to JoAnns.  Its probably a good thing that I don't go very often.  ICLH.

Thank goodness for my grandmother giving me $60 cash for Christmas!

And getting yarn for xmas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster chat! Firefox users with Chatzilla installed, go to irc://irc.aniverse.com/craftster http://tinyurl.com/5vv88b has instructions for anyone else, and http://tinyurl.com/62ynka has a link for a browser-based chat Smiley
cutietds2003
my creations

tiffers

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 27, 2006 09:26:35 AM »

i personnally dont have this problem YET, lol, im only 16 and dont have space to even consider going anything crazy lol, but i do know someone that does, she has a studio and between everything that she does like knitting, weaving, jewelry, ect. but her husband is always going to auctions and gets tons of boxes and so her studio is already packed but is getting worse, one good thing about it is when i go help her clean i usually bring home a box of stuff lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

so many ideas so little supplies
RonnieCat
Weird and Proud of it!

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 27, 2006 10:52:38 AM »

ICLH, I'm only 15!  My top bunk is craft storage!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster chat! Firefox users with Chatzilla installed, go to irc://irc.aniverse.com/craftster http://tinyurl.com/5vv88b has instructions for anyone else, and http://tinyurl.com/62ynka has a link for a browser-based chat Smiley
raslalique
« Reply #253 on: December 27, 2006 12:32:27 PM »

Oh man can I relate to you guys! Embarrassed.

I have limited space and loads of stuff. I have a fabric stash that almost reaches the ceiling (even after being carefully folded and stomped and sat upon to take up less space Embarrassed). I have zippers aplenty and now I've taken to collecting buttons (so far I've only used six of these buttons since I don't really like button-holes).

I have reels of thread I have never touched and I have even started to collect stuff for crafts I don't even know how to do! I collect online tutorials like a fiend of which I've probably used around five.

My excuse- it may come in handy one day. Perhaps one day I may have a ball to attend and will need to use that 5 yds of chiffon (which isn't a part of my current life) to make a fabulous gown so I can get to dance with my prince and leave behind a dainty little glass slipper.

The sad thing is it gets depressing after a time to see all this stuff I'm not using so I went on a rampage. I threw/gave away the dated/boring fabric (did I forget to menton I have a stash of old clothes in my stash to use as fabric?) and resolved to do better. One motivating factor to use up my stash is the fact that my Mother no longer does any fabric shopping of her own. She just raids my stash. Sadly some of what she digs up, I never knew I owned Sad.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LadyV

The Girl In The Green

View Profile WWW
« Reply #254 on: December 27, 2006 11:08:26 PM »

oh, I'm 16 too! Cheesy I like to get my addictions started EARLY.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Yea! Japanese speaking robots!"

I belong in 1540
Sirvinya
Cross stitch lover

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: December 28, 2006 02:33:51 AM »

Oh dear....

My tiny sewing shop near me has all fabrics at 50% off. So I bought a big bag full. Cost 35. But it would have been nearer 70 full priced. I've bought my next few projects.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vintage fabric auctions - 1950's & 60's pattern and fabric 8th Oct!!
RonnieCat
Weird and Proud of it!

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 28, 2006 04:55:57 PM »

I know the feeling.  JoAnns had an After-Xmas sale on a lot of stuff so I went mad.  A bunch of the really expensive yarns were on sale!  I also got handbag handles (I'm gonna crochet a bag, the yarn matches perfectly....) for 1.50.  marked down to $3 from 7.99, then all pink-stickered clearance items were an additional 50% off.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lylyfai

Multi-Crafter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #257 on: December 28, 2006 05:08:11 PM »

Oh man can I relate to you guys! Embarrassed.

My excuse- it may come in handy one day. Perhaps one day I may have a ball to attend and will need to use that 5 yds of chiffon (which isn't a part of my current life) to make a fabulous gown so I can get to dance with my prince and leave behind a dainty little glass slipper.

I love that! I know the feeling... I love the idea of being able to go into my craft room and make anything I want! To bad I don't do that rather then collect more fabric, yarn and tutes LOL!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

145 dependents and counting=
139 dolls, 3 cats, 1 lost Hubby & Roland!
Preppin' for Ro's 3rd Bday- theme=Helicoptors!
http://www.adoptionsbygladney.com (Thank you!)
dancer_in_the_flames
« Reply #258 on: January 17, 2007 07:35:06 PM »

Hi, my name's chelsea, and i'm an *accidental* fabriholic/craft stuffaholic.  i didn't plan for it to be this way, but when i was in high school, i got into medieval recreation (sca), so i needed stuff for that.  Then came the bellydancing, and since i can't afford to buy lovely outfits from Egypt, i had to stock up on components for that. 
   Then i came to university, where i'm majoring in theatrical costume design and technology, and have therefore amassed a collection of fabric for school projects for classes such as draping and flat patterning, not to mention fabric for mock-ups.  Hand in hand with that comes the art supplies for designing: tons of brushes, watercolour paper, three sets of expensive watercolours, coloured pencils, fancy drawing pencils, etc, etc. 
    Recently, i've gotten into knitting and crocheting, so i've had to carve out a section of my room for that.
    Oh, and the books.  half of my bookshelves are crafting/costume/sewing books, and there's so many more i want.
    Luckily, it all fits nice and organized into my apartment, but that may change when i move in with my boyfriend, who's an architect who oil paints and stencils clothing, so he has his own stash.
    Another detriment to kicking my addiction is that when i was searching for a job, my costume shop manager called her friend, who happens to manage the local Joann's, and helped me get a job there.  So i think i'm stuck being a craftaholic... and i'm okay with that. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

More love.  More tequila.  More anything.  More is better.
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #259 on: January 18, 2007 09:47:41 AM »

I had been waking up at night worrying about what my family will do with all of my crafting stuff when I die...a bit morbid, but, I have tons of stuff...

I just made a list of people and what I wanted them to have and stuck it with my will....now I can sleep and go on collecting--someday, future craftsters will still be making stuff with my stuff--ha ha

oh, I know this because I am still using stuff my great grandmother left to me...I have no idea what I am going to do with 20 skeins of apricot yarn, but maybe someone in the future would like it, so I better keep it... Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 43 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Blocks and Paddles in Glass Blowing
What to Do If Molten Glass Falls on the Floor
How to Use Tweezers for Glass Blowing
How to Use Puffers and Steam Sticks for Glass Blowing
Glass Blowing: How to Use Jacks and Pacioffis
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...