A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,717
Currently Running With Scissors:
502 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 43
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: this is your brain on fabric... dealing with our addictions  (Read 59958 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Linnybelle
« Reply #380 on: January 14, 2009 08:14:29 PM »

I was a bad girl.  A few months ago I bought three boxes of fabric from a church rummage sale.  It was all good quality stuff, including some tapestry or upholstery samples, a huge box of scraps and some put together bits of quilts, and another big box of good quality and very good yardages of  quilting cotton.

My older brother informed me that my mother is not a good shopping partner for me.   Smiley  I have managed to use a bunch of it though. I made my Dad a scrap quilt for Christmas and I've been busily cutting up fabric for another scrap quilt in my spare time.

Plus, I'm using a bunch of the big stuff for winter window curtains.  It's been getting really cold in the nights lately, so I'm hoping to help the house be a bit more insulated.  I think it all evens out in the end.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for postcards from anywhere to use for RSVP cards for my 8/2012 wedding.  Have 80/200.
Retromiad

I have to send it WHEN?!?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #381 on: January 15, 2009 03:05:57 AM »

LinnyBelle, I've done something similar in the past.  There is something about a big box of fabric with a cheap price that just excites me for some reason, lol.  It's almost like Christmas, going through it when you get home to discover the gems! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kinky
« Reply #382 on: January 20, 2009 09:21:19 PM »

I have a friend with this problem; she gets fabric for future cosplay projects, and she never uses it! It's taking up about half of her dorm room at the moment...

But I can't say that I'm much better because I can't even see my dorm room's floor, there's so much yarn covering it. >_>;;
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please make this swap happen!!!

Silent Hill/Survival Horror Games Swap:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=297899.0
stuffgoblin
« Reply #383 on: July 08, 2009 12:58:26 AM »

Craft supplies and fabric cover my whole apartment and I haven't completed a project in over 3 years. If I think it might be usefull and can buy it with the change in my pocket I usually do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LizardKitty

Where the heck is Ausfahrt?!

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: December 22, 2009 04:45:18 PM »

My worst fabric problem is that I buy fabric, sometimes in huge quantities without any plan for how to use it.  I come up with ideas, but I'm always afraid that I'll think of something better later and then be mad that I used that fabric up.  It's too cute to use on just any old project, right?  So it sits in my drawer month after month (sometimes year after year) being useless.  I'm also totally addicted to buying clothes at the thrift store that I'll "do something with later."  Later generally never comes, so I'm stuck with closets full of clothes no one in their right mind would wear as they are.  I need a sticker on my shirt when I go into stores saying, "Do not sell me anything if you hear me say the words 'I'm sure this will come in handy sometime.'"    I'm also a total project slut.  I always think it's okay to just cut out the next project before I finish the one I'm working on.  I'll finish that other thing!  I will!  Right after I just sew the first couple seams of this... oh, hey, I should just cast on the yarn for this new hat....
Hi, my name is Liz, and I'm a fabric addict.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A day without laughter is a day wasted.
Charlie Chaplin
N30Nb100d
« Reply #385 on: December 24, 2009 10:50:32 AM »

I've always LOVED fabric. I saved fabric even before I knew how to sew. I've just started sewing seriously this past year and since I've started, my fabric has spilled over from the large plastic tote into bags and onto the desk where the sewing machine used to be. I moved the machine to the dining room table because it's winter here and I don't have heat in the sewing room... that's when the fabric took over the desk.
The worst is when I buy fabric with a plan for it (a plan I've come up with while at the store) then bring it home and realize it won't work at all and I don't even really like the fabric. Or similarly, I get fabric for a specific project, then realize it's not "close enough to work" and am left with yards of stuff I don't have a use for but can't just give up.
I've tried making a list and having limited shopping time/money but it doesn't help. I once told a friend I went fabric shopping with to keep an eye on me and not let me buy anything that's not on my list. I got home with 5 yards of black/blue tartan. Guess what was not on the list  Roll Eyes
Hello everyone, I too am a fabric addict.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #386 on: February 10, 2012 07:06:40 PM »

While I take this fiber addiction seriously, ( I have my own overblown stash), try working in a fabric shop while suffering from this addiction.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

scarlet_nights
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You laugh because Im different, I laugh because your all the same.

Eh what, no Im a f@$&ing squirel

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #387 on: February 17, 2012 12:00:20 AM »

My fabric addiction is so bad I have burned fabric. You see my house burned down and while I was working on salvaging what I could from it, including my great grandmothers sewing machine and bedroom set that mercifully didnt burn, I pulled all my non crispy, or just slighty crispy, fabrics out. I can never use some of it because it has such smoke damage but I just cannot throw it away.

Yes I have a slight problem.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dewshinesdopp
« Reply #388 on: March 20, 2012 05:28:52 PM »

My name is Lee Anne and I am a craftaholic:

I have tried pretty much every craft on the planet, and bought tons of supplies for each one- thankfully, I pretty much buy everything on clearance or at thrift stores...

In the past two weeks I have gotten:
 a bunch of doll making supplies- faces, moving body part things and even a porcelain doll head and hands...fortunately all at the thrift store in the "fill a box for a dollar pile"

Three large sized Michael's "grab bags of yarn...specifically because they were marked "Grab bag $2" and they were large and lumpy. 

I don't do anything with either craft...Help me, please???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JS

** 29 AGAIN?? ** Talk about recycling!! **

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: April 25, 2012 12:35:23 PM »

Hello from another addict! 

Someone once said, "There is no such thing as too much fabric; only too little time."

THIS ROCKS   Logged

God doesn't send people to hell.  He simply honors their choice.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 43 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use The Blender Interface
How to Navigate in Blender
How to Load & Save in Blender
How to UV Map in Blender
How to Use Basic Key Framing and IPO Curves in Blender
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...