A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 301,508
Currently Running With Scissors:
366 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 43
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: this is your brain on fabric... dealing with our addictions  (Read 63311 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

charliebrown

Babies are for lickin'

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2006 02:02:50 PM »

My niece recently wanted to get into quilting so she went to the fabric store and left with nothing because she couldn't decide what to buy. She asked me how I decide when I go to a fabric store - I stuck out my hand to shake hands with her and said 'Hello, I'm your Aunt, the fabriholic, I don't need a REASON to buy fabric.'
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stephen Weaver
Textile boffin

Crusader for a day.....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2006 02:29:42 PM »

Perhaps these last two posts are each the solution to the other?  If LithiumKitten makes up a surprise package of co-ordinated fabrics, and mails them to CharlieBrown's niece, then everyone will be happy.  Or am I just having a Pollyanna moment?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Enthusiastic worker in almost all textile media, currently heavily involved in theatrical costumes.  Also love papier-mach and mosaic work and gardening.  Happy to meet new people too. 
I DO STASH SWAPS - SEND ME YOUR EXCESS OR UNWANTED MATERIALS AND I WILL SEND MINE!
RonnieCat
Weird and Proud of it!

Pleased to meet you, I'm Shiyiya. *curtsies*

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2006 10:57:49 AM »

I think that sounds like an amusing and possibly good idea!

Pollyanna moment??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster chat! Firefox users with Chatzilla installed, go to irc://irc.aniverse.com/craftster http://tinyurl.com/5vv88b has instructions for anyone else, and http://tinyurl.com/62ynka has a link for a browser-based chat Smiley
aliwa
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2006 01:34:24 AM »

Hi... I'm Aliwa, and I have an addiction problem. When I go into a fabric store I just WANT everything. Which isn't that practical when you live in a tiny appartment with your boyfriend and loads of fabric. What helped me curb my addiction, was to not buy anything for a long, long time. I went through the fabric, saw what I could make with each piece. And then wrote a long list of everything I had to sew before I could buy any more fabric. I have strayed from this from time to time, but over all it seems to work quite nicely.

It is so hard though! Smiley I wonder if I'll ever be able to walk into a fabric store and not want everything. Or go into a clothes shop and say to myself "I can make that myself easily"

Sigh Smiley

/Aliwa
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stereoette
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2006 09:44:36 AM »

maybe we should try to come up with a way to stop... considering that i've bought 6.5 more yards since starting this thread (but i spent less than 20 bucks!) i clearly will need a support group for that sort of thing...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.stereoette.com

handmade with my headphones on
SevsOnlyGirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2006 11:32:31 AM »

I think that sounds like an amusing and possibly good idea!

Pollyanna moment??

Pollyanna - A person regarded as being foolishly or blindly optimistic.  After the heroine of the novel Pollyanna, by Eleanor Hodgman Porter (1868-1920), American writer

Does that help?  I think that Disney also made a movie of Pollyanna. 

Anyhow, enough of the English Lit lesson!  I have a coupla small baskets of fabric, when I buy, I use.  But I can see where, in the future, I will have a large stash of fabric.  I'm still learning to sew things, so I don't want to get all crazy, but I always WANT to buy fabric.  There's so many wonderful textures and prints...

Dawn
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xmeepitx
*~Faerie Princess~*

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2006 03:52:01 PM »

Hello, I'm Heather and I'm a Craft Junkie. In the past week I've visited Hobby Lobby, Michael's AND JoAnnat least every day. Today due to the Firefly sale I bough MORE stuff. Muslin was 77cents! Please help me with this addiction.
Is it bad that I was thinking, "so many people want to rid themselves of Fabric.. I'll buy it from them!" ?

*sits down and sips coffee*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
girlypirate
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

my arms are too short to box with God.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2006 03:06:25 PM »

i have at least a thousand yard of fabric (literally) in my posession, and my latest thing is buying trim.  i always write it off saying, "but i got such a deal!"  my last paypal credit card bill was $110 worth of fabric and trim.  ugh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Stephen Weaver
Textile boffin

Crusader for a day.....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2006 03:51:46 PM »

THE SOLUTION!  Find your local theatre group and make their costumes!  Loads of creative fun for you and a good way to get through that stash - you need at least a yard for a tiny waistcoat, 2 for a skirt etc etc, and if you get into making period stuff, even more.  Try it out - I did!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Enthusiastic worker in almost all textile media, currently heavily involved in theatrical costumes.  Also love papier-mach and mosaic work and gardening.  Happy to meet new people too. 
I DO STASH SWAPS - SEND ME YOUR EXCESS OR UNWANTED MATERIALS AND I WILL SEND MINE!
momwith3kids
HOMESChOOL

Hey y'all

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2006 05:37:29 PM »

This is so me.

I was recently at Wal-mart with my mother.  She said to me, "I thought you weren't going to buy any more yarn until you used up what you had."

"Yeah, I'm not.  I just had to buy this so I could use up what I had."

Didn't make any sense to her.  I couldn't make a whole blanket out of what I had.  I had to add more on, duh.

Fabric and yarn are about the same in this house.  I also have tubs everywhere.  My little 5yo dd has a tub of fabric scraps in her room.  I'm creating a monster.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing machine is like my left hand.... I can't write with it, but I NEED it none the less.

see ya'll on the flip side

My Etsy Shop
http://momwith3kids.etsy.com

My Homeschool Blog
http://homeschoolblogger.com/momwith3kids
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 43 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Photograph Pets
How to Photograph Kids
How to Photograph Objects
How to Photograph a Sequence
How to Use Window Light in Photography
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...
Tute Tuesday: Latch Hooked Rag Rug

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...