A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,557
Currently Running With Scissors:
627 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 43
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: this is your brain on fabric... dealing with our addictions  (Read 59064 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

charliebrown

Babies are for lickin'

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2006 02:02:50 PM »

My niece recently wanted to get into quilting so she went to the fabric store and left with nothing because she couldn't decide what to buy. She asked me how I decide when I go to a fabric store - I stuck out my hand to shake hands with her and said 'Hello, I'm your Aunt, the fabriholic, I don't need a REASON to buy fabric.'
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stephen Weaver
Textile boffin

Crusader for a day.....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2006 02:29:42 PM »

Perhaps these last two posts are each the solution to the other?  If LithiumKitten makes up a surprise package of co-ordinated fabrics, and mails them to CharlieBrown's niece, then everyone will be happy.  Or am I just having a Pollyanna moment?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Enthusiastic worker in almost all textile media, currently heavily involved in theatrical costumes.  Also love papier-mach and mosaic work and gardening.  Happy to meet new people too. 
I DO STASH SWAPS - SEND ME YOUR EXCESS OR UNWANTED MATERIALS AND I WILL SEND MINE!
RonnieCat
Weird and Proud of it!

Pleased to meet you, I'm Shiyiya. *curtsies*

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2006 10:57:49 AM »

I think that sounds like an amusing and possibly good idea!

Pollyanna moment??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster chat! Firefox users with Chatzilla installed, go to irc://irc.aniverse.com/craftster http://tinyurl.com/5vv88b has instructions for anyone else, and http://tinyurl.com/62ynka has a link for a browser-based chat Smiley
aliwa
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2006 01:34:24 AM »

Hi... I'm Aliwa, and I have an addiction problem. When I go into a fabric store I just WANT everything. Which isn't that practical when you live in a tiny appartment with your boyfriend and loads of fabric. What helped me curb my addiction, was to not buy anything for a long, long time. I went through the fabric, saw what I could make with each piece. And then wrote a long list of everything I had to sew before I could buy any more fabric. I have strayed from this from time to time, but over all it seems to work quite nicely.

It is so hard though! Smiley I wonder if I'll ever be able to walk into a fabric store and not want everything. Or go into a clothes shop and say to myself "I can make that myself easily"

Sigh Smiley

/Aliwa
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stereoette
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2006 09:44:36 AM »

maybe we should try to come up with a way to stop... considering that i've bought 6.5 more yards since starting this thread (but i spent less than 20 bucks!) i clearly will need a support group for that sort of thing...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.stereoette.com

handmade with my headphones on
SevsOnlyGirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2006 11:32:31 AM »

I think that sounds like an amusing and possibly good idea!

Pollyanna moment??

Pollyanna - A person regarded as being foolishly or blindly optimistic.  After the heroine of the novel Pollyanna, by Eleanor Hodgman Porter (1868-1920), American writer

Does that help?  I think that Disney also made a movie of Pollyanna. 

Anyhow, enough of the English Lit lesson!  I have a coupla small baskets of fabric, when I buy, I use.  But I can see where, in the future, I will have a large stash of fabric.  I'm still learning to sew things, so I don't want to get all crazy, but I always WANT to buy fabric.  There's so many wonderful textures and prints...

Dawn
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xmeepitx
*~Faerie Princess~*

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2006 03:52:01 PM »

Hello, I'm Heather and I'm a Craft Junkie. In the past week I've visited Hobby Lobby, Michael's AND JoAnnat least every day. Today due to the Firefly sale I bough MORE stuff. Muslin was 77cents! Please help me with this addiction.
Is it bad that I was thinking, "so many people want to rid themselves of Fabric.. I'll buy it from them!" ?

*sits down and sips coffee*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
girlypirate
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

my arms are too short to box with God.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2006 03:06:25 PM »

i have at least a thousand yard of fabric (literally) in my posession, and my latest thing is buying trim.  i always write it off saying, "but i got such a deal!"  my last paypal credit card bill was $110 worth of fabric and trim.  ugh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Stephen Weaver
Textile boffin

Crusader for a day.....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2006 03:51:46 PM »

THE SOLUTION!  Find your local theatre group and make their costumes!  Loads of creative fun for you and a good way to get through that stash - you need at least a yard for a tiny waistcoat, 2 for a skirt etc etc, and if you get into making period stuff, even more.  Try it out - I did!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Enthusiastic worker in almost all textile media, currently heavily involved in theatrical costumes.  Also love papier-mach and mosaic work and gardening.  Happy to meet new people too. 
I DO STASH SWAPS - SEND ME YOUR EXCESS OR UNWANTED MATERIALS AND I WILL SEND MINE!
momwith3kids
HOMESChOOL

Hey y'all

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2006 05:37:29 PM »

This is so me.

I was recently at Wal-mart with my mother.  She said to me, "I thought you weren't going to buy any more yarn until you used up what you had."

"Yeah, I'm not.  I just had to buy this so I could use up what I had."

Didn't make any sense to her.  I couldn't make a whole blanket out of what I had.  I had to add more on, duh.

Fabric and yarn are about the same in this house.  I also have tubs everywhere.  My little 5yo dd has a tub of fabric scraps in her room.  I'm creating a monster.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing machine is like my left hand.... I can't write with it, but I NEED it none the less.

see ya'll on the flip side

My Etsy Shop
http://momwith3kids.etsy.com

My Homeschool Blog
http://homeschoolblogger.com/momwith3kids
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 43 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Brooklyn Pizza and Egg Cream With Marty Markowitz
How to Make Chili With Chilies
April Fools Steak Recipe
Chicken Chorizo Meatloaf Recipe
How to Make Macaroni and Cheese
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...