A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,114
Currently Running With Scissors:
522 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help for a beginning Vegetarian!  (Read 2410 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

unmadehearts

unmade hearts and broken beds

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2006 10:43:11 PM »

moringstar farms has the BEST veggie burger ever!!!! At least I think so, its the tomato basil pizza burger, I have tricked my brother and my dad into eating them because they are against all things labeled vegetarian and they loved them! When I went veg I actually did it just to help a friend to do it and then I read Diet for a New America and it it totally cemented the idea in my head. You are making a very healthy life decision and I congrat you for it, sometimes its hard because especially if you are not much of a cook its soooo easy to just want to go through a fast food joint and get a burger but try and stick with it your body will thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
atomic_pink_pigeon

too weird to live, too rare to die

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006 05:22:03 PM »

all i can say is congrats on your decision. I'm taking the steps to going veggie once again ( i was for a while back when i was a bit younger but i got sick etc, etc) i don't have any creative recipes but my mom always says "beans and rice". much love for going veggie.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i dig personal swaps!!!

www.wists.com/atomic_pink_pigeon
heathurr
rah, rah replica!

my god, she looked just like me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006 05:54:49 PM »

honestly, i've been veg. since i was eight, and i've never suffered a lack of vitamins or iron, and only took flinstones kids vitamins until i was maybe ten.  just be sure to vary your diet and you shouldn't suffer any deficiencies unless you already have health problems, especially since you still eat dairy.  to get a rough idea of how you should be balancing your diet, i offer you the vegan food pyramid:

obviously dairy would be somewhere at the top of that.
and this website has more information about the food groups that should be most important to you (again, i don't know about dairy.) http://www.vegsource.com/food_groups.htm

there are also myriad cookbooks available for vegan / vegetarian diets, and a lot of them will have sections for people who have just changed their diets.  barnes and noble and the like tend to not have really good veg. resources, so if you have any "radical" bookstores around, i'd suggest hitting them up or just looking around on the internet.

some resources for veg. info on the internet that i especially love:
www.vegweb.com is mostly recipes, but also coupons and product review
www.vegfamily.com has more information about products, such as lists of animal-derrived ingrediants and info on vegan candies / cosmetics / toys / menstrual gear and other household things

please don't let yourself start believing that adopting a vegetarian lifestyle is difficult.  unless you have an uncanny liking for meat or have unsupportive parents / freinds/ whoever you live with, you should get used to it in no time.  good luck! (:
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006 06:02:30 PM by heathurr » THIS ROCKS   Logged
owl_eyes
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2006 03:09:42 PM »

mmmm...as a young-ish vegetarian still struggling with fitting into an all-carnivore family, i've found these tips to be awesome:

dannon makes gelatin-free yogurt
add beans to whatever you can (hummus is amazing if you haven't tried it)
spinach is iron-rich and very tasty in alot of ways (its my #1 pizza topping, next to cheese)
make sure you take a multi-vitamin, its important to keep everything level
if you are having trouble cutting everything off at once, try it gradually and its easier
protein bars are very good afternoon snacks
check out the being vegetarian for dummies book...it honestly helped, and i had my parents read it to know how they could help me out more
and my very favorite:

if you ever feel the least bit limited as a vegetarian...remind yourself that its encouraging you to try delicious new things.
there are wonderful vegetarian dishes from everywhere in the world...you're opening doors not closing them

congrats, and good luck

oh, p.s.
the guilt-free black bean burger at chilis is awesome if you have a chilis near you
p.p.s. boca brand soy products are good too (the flame grilled burgers are what i eat every time my dad wants to grill)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006 07:32:05 PM by owl_eyes » THIS ROCKS   Logged
fleur_delicious
grad student by day, painter/stitcher by night.

i like contrast

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2006 09:57:10 PM »

Okay, so I'm not a vegetarian, but my bf and I both really love to cook and love to eat, and we eat maybe one or two servings (4-6 oz) of meat a week. We like meat, but no more than anything else. Neither of us has ever had a problem getting our vitamins - in fact, if you're eating a balanced vegetarian diet, you're probably MORE likely to get what you need. No problems with protein or iron deficiency, either. This is a great time to learn to really cook! Consider exploring your local farmer's markets (or sign up for a CSA box) and learning to eat seasonally as well - you'll find a new kind of balance in your eating. If you have a Whole Foods in your neighbourhood, all of the products I'm about to mention can be found there as well.

Spinach and broccoli are both really nutrient-rich vegetables - any dark, leafy-greens are really going to help up your vitamins. Remember that while soy is out there, so are beans - and beans have a lot of protein, too. Add nuts and avocado for fats to keep your hair and skin glossy. Think colourful and varied texture and explore! There's a lot out there, food is fun!

Some favorite cookbooks that I'd highly recommend:

Gordon Hammersley's "Bistro Cooking At Home" - every recipe in this book is awesome. It's not a vegetarian cookbook, but there are some great veggie recipes.

"Fields of Greens" - a second, lower-fat cookbook from the Greens restaurant in California. The Greens restaurant is a vegetarian restaurant that supplies most of its own produce from its nearby organic gardens. This one is all-vegetarian. Make the coucous pilaf and follow their suggestions for pairing with asparagus or watercress in a sesame vinagrette - it's incredibly simple, quick, but SO good.

Deborah Madison's "Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone" - not every recipe in this cookbook is inspired, but it has a LOT - and I do mean a LOT - of choices. I use it primarily for pilafs and things made from dry legumes, as it has something for every dry grain and legume out there, as well as vegetable dishes listed by main ingredient - which is really handy if you're trying to figure out how to work some beets into your diet!

So those are my staples of late for building our weekly menus, but I also recently checked out "The Artful Vegan" from the library. It is simply stunning! The recipes are from the Millenium restaurant in San Fran. Vegan Haute Cuisine. Need I say more? Yes, the recipes are time-consuming and complex. Yes, there are a fair number of ingredients. But, having made a few of these so far, I have to say, they KNOW their stuff. If you're interested, try starting with their pastas - they're simpler. Note: should you go vegan, this cookbook is PACKED with vegan condiments, sauces, aiolis, etc. Good resource.

I've heard that Charlie Trotter's "RAW" is similar - tons of ingredients, hours of prep, food that is as much art as food. I hope to check it out soon, but without a dehydrator, I'd probably be out of luck for most of his recipes.

Of course, you still need some standbys for the pantry. Here are a few things that I really enjoy:

Double Rainbow's Soy Cream. They make a fantastic "Cherry Garcia" like flavor. I find Soy Delicious brand chalky and icky, try Double Rainbow instead. While we're talking dessert, Tofutti Cuties are great! The mint ones are not so great - skip those, stick to vanilla or chocolate.

Toby's Tofu Pate - pick up this egg-salad knockoff that's coloured (and flavoured!) with tumeric and other spices. Remarkably similar to egg salad without the heaviness or egginess. It's really, REALLY good. Can't emphasize that enough.

Silk brand Soymilk. I keep a quart of the chocolate silk in the fridge at all times. I'll take a few swigs off the carton (the bf loathes soymilk, so the Silk is mine, all mine!) for a quick snack and chocolate fix - and soy is loaded with healthy protein.

Check out cultured soy yogurts. Nancy's is great (another hometown food, also avail at Whole Foods). They're pretty good.

Try Soy Crisps (deelish) or Soy Nuts (toasted, they're kind of like corn nuts) for a protein-packed snack.

Field Roast veggie & grain meats - my favorite is the wild mushroom. They even make Field Roast sausages and roasts! It's a nice break from all those soy meats - it's not trying to be meat, just delicious veggie lunch slices.

I like Gardenburger better than Boca, especially the flavored ones - roasted vegetable, Greek, etc.

If you have a Trader Joe's near you, buy their Chickenless Nuggets. THey look and taste exactly like those horrid McDonald's nuggets, but they're tofu! I almost feel guilty eating them, the resemblance is so striking. Also, check out Gardenburger's Riblets for veggie ribs slathered in bbq sauce. They're delicious, but yikes! the sodium content is high! Don't eat a lot more sodium in the day if you have one of these. (they're SO worth it, though!)

Try tempeh slices for lunch - a bit more texture than tofu. Slice it up and saute with 1-2 cloves of garlic, finely minced, a T. of olive oil, and a good splash of soy sauce for delicious savory sandwich stuffing.

Love hummous? It's packed with protein from garbanzo beans. You can make your own with a can of beans (rinse them well to lose that "canned" flavor), the juice of a lemon or two, a crushed (through a press) garlic clove, and salt and pepper to taste - blend until smooth. Try in a pita with tomatoes, cucumbers, and lettuce for lunch, or eat on cucumber slices in the summer.

Martha Stewart had a recipe a few months back for an amazing smoothie that includes healthy fats and a lot of protein - it's really great after a morning run. Blend 1 ripe Haas avocado, 4 oz. silken tofu, 1 c. pear juice, 2 T honey (or agave nectar, if you're vegan) and 1/2 tsp. vanilla until smooth. Add 2 c. ice and process until smooth. This serves four (easily) - and the avocado will go brown, so if you're not drinking it all at once, cut the recipe down.

Another great breakfast started is to blend fresh apple juice, banana, and shredded basil leaves. You'll be amazed. It's great.

Anyhow, hope this helps. Though I just haven't the heart to give up bacon (though Smart Bacon isn't TOO terrible), really, vegetarianism doesn't need to be a difficult change - not with the wealth of products available to people today. If you'd like, feel free to PM me. I LOVE food and I'd be happy to share some of my favorite veg. and vegan recipes to help you get started!

Oh - and the previous comment about your digestive track being off for a while as you make this change is really true. I find that whenever I go off soy for a while, it takes about two weeks of re-introduction to adjust. Just hang in there, your body will thank you for this!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

all of this, calm and reasonable as it was, made out of ordinary things as it was, was the truth now; beauty, that was the truth now. Beauty was everywhere. - Virginia Woolf

follow my adventures in making here:
http://www.pacificrain.blogspot.com
starhistnake
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2006 04:21:40 PM »

This is great.  I've been off and on vegetarian for ages and I'm just going on again.  My friend's going veg for the summer (maybe forever, who knows).  Good luck to all the other new vegetarians out there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xcriot
Don't mind if I do..

MMMbop, It's like an addiction.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2006 06:33:49 PM »

Don't forget to take your vitamins!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If these walls came crumblin' down
Fell so hard, to make us lose our faith
From what's left you'd figure it out
Still make lemonade taste like a sunny day
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Rito Yuuki
Oil Painting For Beginners
Behind The Scenes At Red Bull House Of Art In Detroit
Andy Warhol Drawing Bought For $5 Could Fetch Nearly $2 Million
Service Dog Inspires Artist to Paint With Wheelchair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...