A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,187
Currently Running With Scissors:
385 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cardboard box turned cat bed! (tute, image heavy)  (Read 7276 times)
Tags for this thread: pet_bed , tutorial , cat  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Murray_Girl
« on: May 23, 2006 01:29:16 AM »

So I was watching a terrible movie (The DaVinci Code, sorry, but I thought it stunk) and my mind started to wander ... how to make a cheap and easy cat bed?

So here's my baby Bella, in her favorite bed, aka a cheapo cardboard box:

I decided to use the minimal amount of time, energy and money to make her more comfortable.  First, I cut out the base in the shape of an oval, and cut the sides off in one long strip, which I then curved and taped (duct tape - see, I said cheap and easy) to the base to hold it's shape.

I then laid out my fabric and placed the box on top, using that as sort of a pattern to cut out 2 ovals, about one inch larger than my oval (to accomodate stuffing).  If I had thought about it, I would have taken a picture, but you get the idea.  I also measured the sides (5 inches) so I cut a 12 inch width of fabric (twice the height of the sides so it could be folded over, plus an inch of give on each side to accomodate padding) with a length a little longer than the oval is around.  I sewed one oval to my strip, hence making the top and sides.  Um, I've never written a tutortial before, so I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense.  Hopefully the pictures some it up.

Then I cut open an old pillow (NOT the down kind, but the weird extra-firm type that is too firm for me).  I made duct tape loops (so the sticky side is facing out) all over the base, inside side, and outside side.  I pulled off big pieces of the pillow and stuck it to the duct tape.

As you can see, I discovered that my cat loves duct tape.  Who knew?  Anyways, ...

Once the now-oval box is covered in padding, I slipped on the cover that I sewed earlier with my sewing machine.  I sort of tufted the seam that holds the top cover and the sides through the cardboard so the the pillowy top stays down and doesn't float all around.  I just did it sporatically in eight spots so when you look at it, you can see definites sides and a base, plus sewing through cardboard is hard.  If I had thought about it more, I would have figured out a way to make it so that I didn't have to sew the sides to the bottom panel by hand, but oh well.  It's the bottom so who's going to see it?  And the fabric I used was an old curtain of my mothers, with a funky colonial pattern on it of advertisements of carriage makers and nautical suppliers.  I think it's awesome.

So anyway, here's my baby girl in all her new-comfy glory!

I hope you all like it!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010 03:23:06 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ms. Rosie

Helpz Mommee is a cwazee cat ladee!!!!!!!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006 02:47:38 AM »

Smiley That is adorable - she looks very comfy in the bed.  Thnaks for the tute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ok, so I am the crazy cat lady.  Live with it.
tbutterflyy
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006 10:50:03 AM »

Okay, I think I get it.  I had to read it a couple of times (trying to get the old brain to working) but it makes sense.  I think my Sofie would love one of those.  Thanks for the tute.  It looks fantastic and Bella seems to approve.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain. <br />-Maya Angelou
PepsiTwist
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006 11:43:47 AM »

Wow its hard to believe that was a box! Shocked If you hadn't shownthe before and during pics I would have thought it was so not a box before! that is brillant Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Amanelle
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006 02:48:16 PM »

That's so cute. I know if I put that much effort into my cats wouldn't sleep in it. They'd rather sleep in a plain old cardboard box. I like the fabric too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

murdermebeautiful
Jenn

Stuck in reverse.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006 01:11:11 PM »

adorable! :] my cats love lying in box lids, as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You can be anywhere when your life begins.
If you meet the right person, anything is possible."
munzder
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006 08:21:21 PM »

Oh my that is fabulous, I shall make some.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gishygoo
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006 12:15:48 PM »

I wanted to thank you for your pictures and wonderful tute!  I used it to make two cat beds for my kittens, which I hope to post pictures of later.  Instead of a cardboard box though, I used a LARGE round hat box from Hobby Lobby and cut it in half (top half for one kitty bed, bottom half for the other.)  It was really cheap because the box was on sale and it was torn (I didn't care, I was gonna cut it up and duct tape it anyway!) and the girl gave it to me for an additional mark down price.  Thanks to your inspiration, I was able to make two kitty beds for under $20!  This website rocks!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check me out: www.gishygoo.blogspot.com
Everything is so wistical! www.wists.com/gishygoo
1born2knit

Let the wild rumpus start!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2006 11:38:57 PM »

That is so cute!  Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gishygoo
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2006 07:18:31 PM »

I promised pics, and here are a few.  I didn't get any of the other bed, but it was the same type of material, just picture it in lime green.  My kittens almost fight over them, but at least they love it.

Move over will you??  I need more space to Stre-e-e-e-e-e-e-etch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check me out: www.gishygoo.blogspot.com
Everything is so wistical! www.wists.com/gishygoo
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Wedding Photography Techniques
Studio Photography Tips
Beginner Camera Kit
Action or Sports Photography
Household Items to Keep in Your Camera Bag
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...