A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote for your favorite Bottle It Up project now! Smiley
Total Members: 302,504
Currently Running With Scissors:
655 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Party Decorating for 19th birthday  (Read 4006 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

furgodwuerlivn2002
« on: July 20, 2004 06:16:01 PM »

Ya...

I have to get the house ready for a 19th birthday party. There will be a white tent set out in the backyard and such. There will be hot pink and black streamers and Christmas lights all around the basement and a black light set up. Any suggestions? I would like to make some of the decorations.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please check out my newest Blog:

http://bakingasweetobsession.blogspot.com/
ellseybell

It's a hard job being a beautiful assistant...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2004 08:39:02 AM »

I think there was a post awhile back somewhere here on craftster on how to make paper lanterns. Also, someone else put silk flowers over Christmas lights, which could be fun. My brain is struggling, but I'm trying... OH! You could also make shaped ice cubes or put something in them (that people will not be able to choke on, preferably).

My brain went kaput. Those are all the ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever." -- Judge Judy
bookgirl
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2004 08:37:08 AM »

Decorating like it's a little kids' party?  Maybe a theme like the circus or whatever the birthday girl/guy would like, with matching cake and hats and noisemakers and goofy crap like that.  Favorite candy from when you were little as treats.  Or a pinata!  Who doesn't love a pinata?  Or you could do more adult themes.

Or if you want to be more dignified than that (or hate themes), a lot of the handmade decorations you make for Christmas can be adapted for birthdays.  Like paper stars and garlands, and draping lights everywhere.  If you have a big piece of plexiglass, you could put Christmas lights on a table and cover it with the plexiglass for a little extra flash 9and you wouldn't need candles on the table).

I don't know.  What does the birthday kid like?  What do you have envisioned for this event?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
furgodwuerlivn2002
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2004 10:42:29 AM »

well...

I will have hot pink and black streamers
lol
my favorite colors

I want something "funky"
lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

marielle
Da whistles go woo!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2004 11:10:43 AM »

I love parties! I have two ideas...

The first is to have a tropica theme. I know, I know, everyone does it but you could make it pretty funky if you let your imagination run with it. Flamingos are black and pink...

The second is to have a masquerade party- have everyone come with a decorated mask- pink and black would be perfect colors for something like this because they are both mysterious and funky.

Have fun and let us know what you end up doing!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
furgodwuerlivn2002
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2004 08:04:22 PM »

Well, there is no theme for the party. I just need decorating  tips. lol. and I need to do it inexpensively. I want to make the decorations.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bookgirl
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2004 08:20:44 AM »

All right.  So pink and black are your favorite colors.  Here are a few ways to use them:

Get some cheap vases and use some of the crepe paper streamers to decoupage them -- I'd keep the colors separate so that you have some pink and some black vases.  Fill them with carnations -- they're about the most inexpensive and long-lasting flowers you can get.  If you buy white ones, you can dye them by adding food coloring to the water.  The dye is sucked up through the stems and bleeds into the petals!  Or leave them white (they'll glow in the black light!).  Lots of options there.

I like to spread all kinds of beads on tabletops for special dinners.  For Valentine's Day, fer instance, I've used pink pearls, different sizes of faceted glass beads in shades of red and pink, and novelty beads shaped like hearts.  They glitter in the candlelight and make the table look really pretty.  It couldn't be easier: grab a handful of beads and scatter like seeds on the tablecloth.  For the tablecloth, a simple white sheet is fine.  But if you have a pink tablecloth or sheet and cover it with pink beads, it'll almost look like 3D damask.  Or use white beads to take advantage of the black light.

Candles candles candles.  Do you know what a bobeche is?  It's like a little collar at the base of candlesticks intended to catch dripping wax.  If you use candlesticks instead of votives (I'm assuming you'll have at least some candles...) you can make funky bobeches for them -- like wiring some feathers into a circle to slip over the base of the candle (there's a few examples at www.marthastewart.com if this doesn't make sense).  Just be sure to watch out when the candle burns down.  You can buy cheap dyed feathers at any craft store.  You could do the same to wine glasses -- make little boas for the stems of the glassware!  You could either wire them or glue them on.  Or wire more beads to the stems, and to the stems of your silverware.  You can do similar things to votives.

Hang up sheets of pink and black construction paper and write on them with white ink -- birthday messages, favorite poems or song lyrics...  Anything you like, and again, the words will glow in the blacklight.

Umm...  that's all I've got.  My brain has just turned to mush.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Anathema

i dunno about you...but.... **drools**

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004 01:42:10 PM »

you can make these cheap little soda can lanterns spray paint em and hang about 10 of em at different lenghts... so paint a regualr soda can and then when it dries cut from just under the top rim to just above the bottom in a vertical line, make more of these cuts about an inch apart on the can, then when you're done poof em out and sqish the tops and ottoms of the cans together, so they poof out more. (i like that word) but dont squish them too much. then stick a tealight or glowstick or something in the bottom, they kinda remind me of those chinese lanterns.  Cheesy then tie a string to the tab at the top, and hang em from the ceiling! eh. if this sounds confusing, email me...if i can get my camera working i'll show you
and when's the party? Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"hey emu chick!!!"
"oh yes, you have nice legs, nice and squishy, i just wanna squish em!"
"my dawg be fling flang flappin the fish..."
furgodwuerlivn2002
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2004 08:08:56 PM »

Ok everyone. Thanks for the wonderful ideas!!

I have 100 ft of garland.
2 rolls of black streamers
and 2 rolls of hot pink streamers
I also got some hot pink gift wrap and I am going to be hanging it on the walls so that people can doodle on them. lol. Graffiti!! LOL!
Wooha!!! LOL! I'll get some special pens and spray, whatever. lol. People can doodle as much as they can on the walls!! Wooha!!!
*child at heart*
lol
I also got some multi colored balloons
and I am hanging up Mini Clear Swag Style Lights.
My party is Saturday.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

furgodwuerlivn2002
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2004 08:18:40 PM »

I am not doing candles because my parents don't want my house to burn down. lol. Ya... my past parties have been...well...quite exciting!! LOL. Wooha!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Craft a Button Brooch
How to Craft Duct Tape Fabric
How to Craft Apple Balloons
How to Craft Duct Tape Flip-Flops
How to Craft Apple Stamps
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Mug Cozy
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: How to Make 110 Prayer Flags

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...