A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,456
Currently Running With Scissors:
719 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My wedding dress (pic heavy)  (Read 8195 times)
Tags for this thread: wedding_dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ourglasslake
« on: May 22, 2006 03:20:54 PM »

When my husband proposed to me last March, the only thing I knew for sure (other than the fact I wanted to marry him, of course!) was that I *had* to make my own dress. Being crafty people, we ended up doing most everything ourselves (you can see the full rundown here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=95443.0 ), but the biggest project by far was the dress. I spent a lot of time looking at patterns, dresses, pictures of dresses, etc, and when I saw this one, I knew I had found my dress:

Once I had this in mind, finding a pattern that I could modify wasn't too hard. Vogue 2803 (see it here: http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/voguepatterns/shop.cgi?s.item.V2803=x&M=cart-login) was perfect in the front, and the back wasn't to hard to modify.

I raised the back, added grommets and corset-style lacing, and made the bow functional rather than decorative. The band was done in red rather than the pattern's white, and extended around the back to a hook-and-eye closure. I sewed a red band to the bottom of the lining layer, and voila! The dress of my dreams. Smiley

Action shots:

Even though the fabric I used for this dress wasn't terribly expensive (the whole thing, including the lining fabric, boning, grommet kits, and crinoline cost about $100), I wanted to make a muslin for fitting purposes. Here's me all excited to have the muslin finished and fitting properly (please excuse the bra straps):

Somehow, nobody was interested in my back while I was in the dress, so this is the only shot I have of it. It's in the middle of being ironed, so it probably isn't the best shot, but you can see the lacing and the pieces that will eventually be the bow. Smiley

The wedding party. I'm the same height as my husband, so I must have been doing some hardcore slouching in this photo. O.o

Walking down the aisle with my dads. If I wasn't standing perfectly straight (like in this pic, when I was walking down the stairs), the dress would bunch around the waist, which was a little annoying. I also lost about half an inch in my bust measurement between the muslin fitting and the wedding day, which probably accounts for a little of that looseness as well. That's what the stress of a wedding will do to you, I guess!

And one more, because it's one of my favorite pictures from the entire wedding:

The hardest part of this dress was definitely the boning. Tedious handsewing was not exactly what I wanted to be doing when I felt so stressed, but it was totally worth it. There is also something to be said for making your own wedding dress as part of the psychological process of geting married. I was really into this book, The Conscious Bride, which talks about the psychology of such a major life change, and it felt really primal to have my fabric all spread out on the floor, scissors in hand. 

Thanks for looking!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
aunt carrot

pom-poms make the heart grow fonder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006 03:24:33 PM »

Wow! The dress looks fantastic and you look beautiful in it. The book sounds interesting too--I've always wanted to make my own wedding dress (should the occasion ever arise). It makes it that much more special. Nice work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I didn't and don't want to be a 'feminine' version or a diluted version or a special version or a subsidiary version or an ancillary version or an adapted version of the heroes I admire. I want to be the heroes themselves." --Joanna Russ.
raining_dreams
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006 03:25:16 PM »

That is so lovely! You did an amazing job  Shocked I really, really like the style of the dress, and the red makes it so original. Bravo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Street lights dance and street lights sing
Someone cut the oxygen and took a message to the king
Announcing that he wasn't royalty
blog
vegan food blog
ourglasslake
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006 03:29:42 PM »

aunt carrot: Thanks! The book is really fantastic. I think it should be required reading for anyone even thinking about getting married! It really helped me realize why I was thinking the way I was (because, whoa, I really did sorta go crazy for a few months there), and that I wasn't alone. You should definitely make your own dress when/if the time comes!

raining_dreams: Thank you! Actually, after I had finished, I was seeing dresses with red accents everywhere, so I was afraid I was somehow looking too trendy or something.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
four eyed girl
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006 04:25:04 PM »

You did a fantastic job!  My best friend is getting married on Friday and her dress is almost identical to that except she wasn't blessed with sewing skills and bought hers at davids bridal.  You look so beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.snarkosaurus.etsy.com

Metrobus 2B, I want to fight you.
Chan G
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006 04:37:37 PM »

Wow! Congradulations! Your dress is gorgeous, and so are you. You look like Audrey Tatou! I am also currently making my wedding dress. I'm just finishing up my practice version and am very excited. Though my pattern isn't nearly as complicated as yours... I'm not that talented!  I'm nervous about sewing the silk. Any tips?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ourglasslake
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006 04:40:57 PM »

You did a fantastic job!  My best friend is getting married on Friday and her dress is almost identical to that except she wasn't blessed with sewing skills and bought hers at davids bridal.  You look so beautiful!

Awww, thanks! The original dress inspiration was from David's, I forgot to mention that. Smiley

Wow! Congradulations! Your dress is gorgeous, and so are you. You look like Audrey Tatou! I am also currently making my wedding dress. I'm just finishing up my practice version and am very excited. Though my pattern isn't nearly as complicated as yours... I'm not that talented!  I'm nervous about sewing the silk. Any tips?

Whoa, thank you! I think Audrey Tatou is so adorable, so I'm totally grinning at that comparison.  Grin As for tips...well, just go slowly! I was soooo afraid when I first started sewing the real fabric, but I got into the groove pretty quickly. And it helped me to remember that if I messed up and had to buy the fabric again, it would still be cheaper and I would still be making my own dress. Good luck, and post pics when you're done! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
whyislife
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006 04:59:11 PM »

um...wow....every bride wants to look gorgeous on her wedding day....and you pulled it off. that dress is incredible. you look sooo beautiful! i wish you the best of luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lvb56003
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006 05:07:49 PM »

You did an awesome job!!!!!!  If you ever find the time from all of your newly found joy of marriage.  I am sure we would all like to see what the back of the dress looks like with you in it. 

LEEANNE
THIS ROCKS   Logged
suzie_ann

Let's get crafty!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006 05:20:48 PM »

i really like the style of the dress and you've got some great patience and sewing skills! i mean handsewing frustrates me in less than a minute!!  Lips sealed
great job on the dress again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Lip Syncing for Animation
How to Use Animation Effects in Sprout
How to Animate Crush Test Dummy
How to Use Paths and Dupliframes in Blender
How to Get the Perfect Body with Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...