A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
750 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: WVU in the Wintertime?  (Read 2707 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mermaidsvoice
« on: May 22, 2006 12:45:14 PM »

(ooooh I hope this is allowed)

Hi!
 I'm Gem from Maryland and I was accepted to WVU (as you may have read in the Morgantown Post). I wanted to start working on college clothes to take with me, you know, t-shirt surgeries and the like. It's been kind of my summer project- making things to get ready to go. However, I don't know what to make. See, I'll be there for the fall Semester and after everyone heard I got accepted SO MANY adults I know said it's like, arctic temps in fall and winter. I made a crack to someone saying how I wanted to go to Montreal for school after WVU and they said, "Why bother? It's the same temperature as Morgantown!" (Meaning it was as cold as canada there.) So I was wondering if anyone had any  suggestions for types of clothing that would be good for WVU weather.

If you can be of any help, Thank you so much (in advance). 
GEM
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have been Changed for Good.
K8teebug
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006 12:48:37 PM »

My husband went there.  It's cold there in the winter time, but not all that much colder than in MD.  It does snow there more often though.  He said it's basically just grey....I would knit some warm things in bright colors to cheer you up on the gloomy days!

Have a great time in Morgantown.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mermaidsvoice
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006 06:31:14 PM »

K8teebug, thanks a lot. I thought as much, since they aren't that far apart, but other people who've been there said different. Like, I'm only 4 hours from there. ^_^

HEARTS
GEM
THIS ROCKS   Logged

daydreamer13579
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006 07:55:47 PM »

I live about 20 miles south of Morgantown and I have been to Toronto in the winter; Toronto is much colder. I agree with the grey days. There are lot's of those. It can be depressing. The weather is pretty unpredictable through Oct. There may be 80 degree days, followed by the low 40's (or colder) and back again. Layers are a good idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mermaidsvoice
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006 08:27:45 AM »

That's a little S.A.D. (seasonal depression disorder). ^_~

Actually that does suck about the grey days because weather does affect my attitude and depresses me on rainy/overcast days. Oh well. I'll just have to wear bright and colorful t-shirts. like I said, I didn't think it'd be too much worse because of how close it is. But when EVERYONE says different I figured I'd ask people who live there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Petunia0384
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006 09:24:38 PM »

I go to WVU. Smiley  I don't think it's extremely cold, though the mountains make it colder than home.  I'm originally from Charleston, WV and it tends to be about 5-10 degrees colder in Morgantown than Charleston during the winter (but sometimes, hotter in the summer, go figure).  There's quite a bit of snow.  I think fall is nice, but you need watch out for the "freak days" we get in fall and spring...  Like a random huge snowstorm we had last October that knocked the power out in a lot of places (the leaves were still on the trees and the branches were weighed down a lot).  So, definitely bring a jacket and some cold weather stuff when you come, because there were a lot of people who were freezinb when that happened because they didn't prepare!

As for making stuff...  You'll want scarves, hats, etc. for the winter because it can be one chilly walk to class.  And like I said before, Morgantown is pretty hot in the summer, so there will be several weeks you can wear warm weather clothing. Smiley

« Last Edit: June 10, 2006 09:27:47 PM by Petunia0384 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shainna Smiley

"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." -Tennyson
Lava means love.
I'm listening!

It could be worse.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007 07:43:55 PM »

It's interesting to read all of this; an old friend of mine lives in West Virginia.  I want to make her a few pieces of clothing (learning to sew here) and make it a big surprise so I can't really ask her anything, but to decide on a design, I really need to know what the climate is like there in the summertime.  Is it very hot?  Is it very humid in West Virginia?  Any info. would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Petunia0384
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007 09:26:51 PM »

I'd say in the summer, it averages in the upper seventies to mid-eighties.  It can get pretty humid.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shainna Smiley

"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." -Tennyson
Lava means love.
I'm listening!

It could be worse.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007 10:17:40 AM »

Thanks a million! I think I'll stick to light, breathy fabrics. Smiley Grin Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lawsuit Against Kitson Over Drug Related Apparel
Update Your Fall Wardrobe For Cheap
Zendaya Coleman Teams With NFL For Campaign
What to Wear to Flatter Black Hair
Style Sound Off: The Hottest Red Carpet Looks of the Week
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...