A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,723
Currently Running With Scissors:
573 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Photoshop Picture  (Read 915 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CraftyLea14
« on: May 22, 2006 09:42:02 AM »

I installed my photoshop yesterday.  Smiley  It's the first time i use this - i'm hooked now ! It's crazy ! Anyways i can't do much.
This is the picture i did up to now..not too bad enh ?

Can anyone show me how to take (example) butterfly wings from one layer and paste them on a picture from another layer ?
Thanks
Jess
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Xaneth
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006 03:40:43 PM »

If they're in the same picture, do you mean combine two layers into 1? If you do, simply make the two (or more) layers you want to merge visible, with the rest invisible (so that the little eye thing is showing on the ones you want and not on the ones you don't), then simply click Layer -> Merge Visible, or Ctrl+Shift+E. If you want all your layers on one layer, then Layer -> Flatten Image, although you can simply save the file as a .jpg or whatever and it does it for you. Smiley I use Photoshop 7, so I hope it's not too different for other versions. Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-xaneth
CraftyLea14
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006 04:11:06 PM »

I use the 7 version also Wink But it's 2 different pictures. Like i would clip the butterfly wing from a butterfly picture and glue them on a picture of a girl on a different picture. It explains it on this page but i can't do it :S
http://www.photoshopbuddy.com/butterfly-wings.html
Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Xaneth
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006 02:42:05 AM »

This is a rather long post, but I've explained it pretty thoroughly. Let me know if you come across any problems. Smiley It's also image-heavy. Yeah.
Okay, let's see here...

1. Cutting out the wings.

Probably the most annoying part (I did this myself too). For this, you use the Lasso tool, found here

Click it, then your picture of your butterfly, maximize that file and zoom in a bit (at least for me, it helps to zoom in when Lasso-ing, you're allowed a greater margin of error), but make sure you can see the entire left (or right) wing in the window. I started at the bottom left of the wing, and, dragging your mouse/stylus, draw around the wing until you get to your starting point again. This may take a few tries, especially with a mouse to get right, but keep at it. Note: The part where the body meets the wing doesn't need to be perfect, as that'll be hidden behind the girl, so don't stress yourself over it. Smiley
Et voila: [Sorry big picture, but that's how much I had it zoomed in.]

2. Selecting the girl's dress.
Ctrl+C (copy) the wings from the butterfly, and Ctrl+V (paste) them onto the file with the girl, it'll appear on a different layer. The tutorial you had seems to already have the whole butterfly on a different layer, but this does the exact same thing. Now, you're going to select the girl's dress using the Lasso tool again. Make the wing layer invisible (click the eye next to it), and select the girl layer. Now do what you did for the butterfly wing, and select around the girl's dress. (This is pretty difficult too, you can use the Magnetic Lasso here, but you have to do a bunch of extra stuff that might confuse you. Let me know if you want me to write something for the Magnetic Lasso. Smiley) Then press Ctrl+J (copies the selection, the girl's dress, into a new layer). It'll look exactly the same, but it's not. Tongue

3. Cleaning it up.
This step isn't in your other tutorial, but even I don't get it perfect (like ever) so you'll need to clean up your selection a little. Make the background invisible, so the only layer you can see, is your newly created floating dress. You may or may not see a few green splotches here and there around the dress, if you don't, make sure you haven't got any dress missing. Tongue (You can do this by using the Magic Wand and selecting anywhere outside the dress, Ctrl+Shift+I (inverse selection), this gives you an outline of your selection, so make the background layer visible again, and make sure all of the dress is in your selection. If it's not, try again. Smiley) If you *do* see some green splotches however, select the Eraser (a fuzzy brush one works best) and gently erase it away, making sure not to get rid of too much of the dress. You don't need to be perfect, but it really really helps. Cheesy Once that's all done, make them all visible again.

4. Getting the wing in the right place.
Well, that's the hard bit done, smooth sailin' from here. First: Make the new dress layer on top of the wing layer. You'll notice how the order of layers from bottom up is the order in which they're seen? Hence why Background is *always* on the bottom. So drag the dress layer on top of the wing layer, so the order is like this:

Woo! Now to move the wing. Click on the wing layer (Layer 1) and select what they called the "Move Tool" but what I call the "Black Arrow" either way, that one:

Drag it so where the wings met the butterfly body, meets around where the shoulder blade would be (or wherever the hell you want really. Tongue). Then press Ctrl+T (Free Transform) and move your mouse to one of the corner of that box, 'til your mouse looks like it could represent rotating it.  (I honestly don't know how else to describe it, a curved line with two arrowheads. Okay, so maybe I do know how else to describe it.) Then drag it 'til it looks just about right (you can still move it by clicking the middle of the box and dragging about).

Then click the Tick up the top, and you have a one-winged angel!

5. Getting a two-winged angel.

Easy: Right-click your wing layer, and select Duplicate layer.

While that new layer is selected, press Ctrl+T (Free Transform), then right-click inside the square and select Flip Horizontal. Now move it over to her left (or right, or wherever) and position it correctly. Note: I wouldn't rotate the new wing if I were you, unless you want her crooked. Wink
Now do the thing I previously talked about, making those two the only layers visible, then press Ctrl+Shift+E (Merge Visible) so you have both wings in one layer. Now, when you want to adjust Brightness/Contrast, it does it to both wings at the same time. Speaking of which...

6. Adjusting the wings.
According to this tutorial you had, Ctrl+Shift+U = desaturate. I have no idea what this does, but it looks like makes it black and white, so go for it. Then adjust brightness and contrast. Image -> Adjustments -> Brightness/Contrast. The tutorial says, Brightness = +43 and Contrast = -10, but experiment! I just used what they picked, thus:

7. Adjusting the whole picture, et voila: Angel!
Laziness settling in now. The tutorial you have is pretty good for the rest of the adjustments. Um...

Yay! >.>

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you're confused by anything. Photoshop gets a bit confusing when you first get to know it. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-xaneth
diosaperdida
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006 10:13:06 PM »

Just keep playing with it. You will learn that way. Sounds simple and maybe frustrating to hear that, but it's true. Making mistakes and felling free to make them can be the best way to learn.

Zaneth: great tutorial and it was very kind of you to take the time to do it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.diosaperdida.net  - My website
http://knittingbare.blogspot.com/ painting, knitting, whatever...it's all art
http://painting.craftgossip.com/  decorative painting techniques, projects and product info.
CraftyLea14
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006 01:13:31 PM »

Wow thanks a lot Xaneth ! It's much more clear !
I guess your right too diosapperdida.. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hudson Yards Exhibition Space Design
How to Decorate Outdoor Rooms
How to Set Up Your Patio For Spring
Kobi Levi Creates Violin Shoes
Flowers Appear to Float in This Ripple Contraption
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...