A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,519
Currently Running With Scissors:
638 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Supplies. Articles, Deals  (Read 25766 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

IceDragon
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2008 05:01:40 PM »

I'll have to admit to being a bit of an eBay fan. I've picked up books, patterns and entire kits for less that the shipping cost before.

It's worth a search on there if there's something in particular you like, but other than that, thrift-stores is a great idea. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ Dream ~ Realise ~ Achieve ~ Be ~
marylini
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2008 05:39:08 PM »

Hi!

I am looking for some books to build up my needlework library...I do a bunch of different kinds, but I'd love to know what are your fav crewel embroidery books. I'm looking for some with funky, fun, different patterns that are easy to transfer and inspiring to leaf through. Thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.myspace.com/yeastthemovie  My directoral debut
www.myspace.com/marybronstein   me
www.myspace.com/photolini  photocomics i do
www.spout.com/butterknife   web-series i do
www.frownlandinc.com         a movie my husband did that I'm also in
jerryleetypes
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2008 12:54:48 PM »

One of my favorites is "Royal School of Needlwork Embroidery Techniques". No patterns, but some really great information. I design all of my own embroidery patterns so I'm not too familiar with books that have designs. However, you could always get those really great Dover clip art books and use those drawings and designs as patterns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SugarySweet
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2008 05:36:55 AM »

If you find a new book you would like, order them on Amazon.com. Orders over $25 you can have shipped free. You do have to remember to click free shipping.

I've only paid for shipping a few times in years and years  with them. Most of the time, it's on a pre-order because I order that item alone so it does not hold up the other items.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

somerset
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2008 04:19:32 AM »

I don't know if everyone else has seen these yet but they're new to me and thought to share them:

I came across this post http://fopsanddandies.blogspot.com/2008/02/sewn-to-sky.html about Pricked: Extreme Embroidery http://www.madmuseum.org/site/c.drKLI1PIIqE/b.3085755/ in a fashion blog I regularly read. Go to her post because she's got more pictures than I could find at the official site.

Also, this post http://myloveforyou.typepad.com/my_love_for_you/2008/01/brieana-ruais.html from an awesome art blog shows more needlework used in mixed media art. I thought I was amazing when I struck upon the idea to use unraveling/tangling or general f'd upness in embroidery and then felt crappy when I saw it'd been done. THEN I consoled myself with the thought that someone must have thought of it before her as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Backstitch - all my needle and thread projects

My Flickr photostream
elisegreene
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2008 01:32:48 PM »

I have The Embroiderer's Handbook by Margie Bower (http://www.amazon.com/Embroiderers-Handbook-Step-Step-Techniques/dp/0715320378) which I love for reference. It has full color step-by-step photographs!

For Crewel related, I've found Margery Burnham Howe's book on Deerfield Embroidery to be very good.  It has patterns from colonial Massachusetts.  Many of the patterns were originally done in blue on white, but you could easily do them in more colorful Crewel style. I got it at the library, but: http://www.amazon.com/Deerfield-Embroidery-Traditional-Patterns-Massachusetts/dp/B000OMXTHK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203801995&sr=1-5

Good luck!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

May your blades never dull!

http://www.wists.com/greenleaf-wist!
LuluB
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2008 09:55:48 PM »

For basic everything embroidery I LOVE Pauline Brown's Encyclopedia of Embroidery Techniques. For crewel work, I have 2 vintage books by Erica Wilson Crewel Embroidery and Needleplay they're both super in a very 70's way.  If you can find them, I highly recommend them.

hearts!
erika
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiakelA
Summer is finally here again!

Wit beyond measure...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #47 on: February 29, 2008 02:46:43 PM »

paperbackswap.com

you post books you don't want any more and people can order them from you for free, you use that credit to order from someone else for free. you only have to pay for media mail shipping. i love it. they don't have too many craft books, but if you hang out in the bazzar and craft forums then you can strike gold

if you go then i refered you!! my sn there is minathia too  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AmphipodGirl

More projects planned than executed.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2008 01:16:15 PM »

Dover Publications has a lot of inexpensive needlework books, usually under $10, including lots with iron-on transfers.  You can get them from Amazon or direct from doverpublications.com.  I learned ribbon embroidery from one of their books.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PM me for a FREE vintage embroidery transfer of mushrooms (more info in profile).
cirobi
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2008 10:25:54 AM »

Hi Everyone,
it's been a while since i stopped by because i've been rather busy with other things lately so my poor cross stitchery has been tucked to the side.  i was thinking about subscribing to a stitching magazine or crafting magazine but am not sure what is good and what isn't.  if anyone knows of any good stitching magazines that feature a good amount of cross stitch or a good generic crafting magazine with a variety of craft types i'd be ever so greatful.  hopefully this is a good forum to place this topic in.

oh and for location sake - i'm in the united states in case it matters much.

happy stitching everyone!  Smiley

~Cirobi
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty" ~The Cruxshadows
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Carolyn Dalgliesh Talks About the Sensory Child Gets Organized
An Interview With New York Times Bestselling Author Lisa Renee Jones
Gary Pomerantz: What Are You Reading?
A. Scott Berg on Woodrow and Edith Wilson
John U. Bacon: What Are You Reading?
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...