A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,388
Currently Running With Scissors:
630 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: bjd- I can't afford one, So I'll make one.  (Read 33140 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

goldfishhead
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2006 08:33:24 PM »

Holy Crap!!

Shes gorgeous! She may have cost as much as buying one- but at least she looks like she should cost that much. She looks just like one of those $700 japanese ones. Only shes one of a kind. gorgeous.

by the way- legoes. oh my god. thats hillarious.

oh, by the way- i cant be casting mine, she (he?) has to be sculpted. How was the  super sculpty? I can't find the kind of clay the tutorial im working off of recomends.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Candypop
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2006 05:55:37 AM »

First- how did you make her hollow with the sculpey and tinfoil?

Yup, I made a tin foil core, and wrapped that press and seal stuff around it so that it wouldn't stick. The limbs are solid and I'll be drilling the casts, or experimenting with a core mold idea I have for them.

Second- Do you think if you were not casting her she would have cost less to make?
And third- do you think she would hold up well just staying sculpey?

Yeah casting is reeeeeally expensive, the silicone alone cost me $165 so you can probably knock off about $200 by not casting.

As for Super sculpey, if you bake it right it's rock hard! I can't even count how many times that head has taken a dive, and the grinding and drilling hasn't hurt it either. I think a doll made of all sculpey would hold up just fine.

And I'm guessing your tutorial is asking for La Doll clay Goldfishhead? There are a few US places selling it about online, I'll see if I can find a link, I know a few people really like that stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
goldfishhead
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2006 12:57:00 PM »

actualy, it asks for white "stoneclay".

the real problem is that it has to be strong- and light- and i cant fire it. Shes got too much sawdust in her (him?).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Candypop
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2006 08:06:24 AM »

actualy, it asks for white "stoneclay".

the real problem is that it has to be strong- and light- and i cant fire it. Shes got too much sawdust in her (him?).

La Doll is an air dry stone clay, and I know it's what a lot of doll makers use. this site has a selection of air dry clays suitable for doll making.
http://www.miniworlddolls.com/CSClays2.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarahdipity
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2006 11:05:33 PM »

Candypop, I just saw your posts on DOA and realized I'd seen this somewhere before.  Your doll is just adorable!  I wish I was able to make one that looked that wonderful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hazzardwolf

It's called Bohemian...

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2007 09:19:33 PM »

Ok, so, after a long time of not working on him, I'm back at it. Oy... Well, I've decided to scrap some parts of the body... I'm keeping the feet, upper torso, and upper arms. I'm redoing all the joints, hopefully I can find some wooden beads to use instead of trying to make my own from clay... And, I reworked the head! He's still not done, I need to redo the headcap and sand the bridge of his nose for a better profile, but here's what I've got so far.

I redid the mouth and rounded out the face. What do you think?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007 09:21:36 PM by hazzardwolf » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting needles should NOT taste like sour cream and Onion.
goldfishhead
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2007 10:51:42 AM »

this one looks more symetrical Smiley nicely done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SilverWing

dreamer of dreams...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2007 06:29:24 AM »

I just recently became re-obsessed with these dolls, but of course, $700-$800 is a bit out of my budget for a doll, no matter how amazing.  This thread is awesome.   I was wondering how the project went?  And Candypop, by casting, are you able to quickly (used loosely, lol) remake the doll, or did it just enable you to make a resin version of the doll?  I'm obviously not that familiar with resin work.  I work with polymer clays a lot, though, and do make art dolls, although very stylized. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist!

I <3 personal swaps!

saintvier
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2007 07:21:34 AM »

for the people making the doll, what did you use as the bonding agent with the first layer of sawdust? also, where is a good place to get epoxy resin?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
goldfishhead
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2007 04:30:18 PM »

i used elbers glue...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
50 Burger Recipes You Need to Try This Summer
Colonel Sanders Is Back For New KFC Campaign
How to Make Firecracker Mayo Grilled Cheese
How to Make Chocolate Mascarpone Grilled Cheese
How to Make the Ultimate Grilled Cheese
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Kitchen Dishtowels with Fabric Accents
Tomato/Tomahto
Meatless Monday: Veggie Bolognese Sauce

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...