A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 301,613
Currently Running With Scissors:
702 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Seeking advice for sealing/topcoating...  (Read 670 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tharless62
« on: May 19, 2006 07:37:42 AM »

I just decopaged a dresser with images that i printed out on my computer.I used "Best Test" paper cement- which by the way is a very good product! What product can i use to seal this that won't cause the ink to bleed? THANKS!!!   Trish Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tharless62
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006 10:47:57 AM »

WOW- all the talented innovative people here and no one can help me out? I'm surprised. I have read every kind of idea on these forums and with the printer being a big part of art work nowadays i was really hoping to get an answer to my question. bummer......So far i have tried Polycrylic- which caused bleeding, Anita's acrylic poly- same thing,& ModPodge bled. So now i'm gonna go try the hairspray technique i read on a different thread. If anyone has used the hairspray can you elaborate a bit further? Also can i still use a sealer over the hairspray?  THANKS!!!!!!!!! Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jenefor
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006 10:57:45 AM »

Hi there I just saw this Tongue Anyhow I always decopage with computer printouts (infact I just did two big wall hangings) I just use the Minwax waterbased polycrylic (sp?) you can get a nice size bucket for like $7 at Home Depot....I lay down my images with Modpage but then do all the sealing with the Minwax..... it drys fairly fast too.
I got the waterbased this time thinking I would be able to clean the brushes but that that was a big NO. Anyhow I just get inexpensive brushes that I can just toss after I am all done. I got the best results with a fan type brush I had.....from the art areas.....but I just have a ton of brushes and not really sure how much they cost.......My hubby uses the foam brushes and I know your not supposed to with varnish but he doesn't seem to have issues...I still like the actual brushes.
But your picts won't bleed or anything...I have used stuff printed on just regular printer paper to the photo paper and then watercolor paper and all has worked well Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tharless62
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006 07:47:33 AM »

Thanks for the reply! I LOVE Polycrylic & have been using this for years....but even this causes bleeding- esp on reds. You haven't experienced this at all? hmmm When you use your ModPodge do you apply it to the surface or the image or both? Do you have any problems with bubbling? Can i see some pics of your wall hangings? Also i haven't had any problems ever cleaning the brushes- just a little soapy water & rinse.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jenefor
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006 12:38:32 AM »

when I place the image on the wood I use the little spongy brushes and just apply a little but on all the of the surfice (back of paper) and then I place and with a roller I get oout all the airbubbles (I dont know what the roller is really used for or called ut I know I got it at a art store...it makes sure that the image is succured well and that all the air bubbles are out.
here are some picts f stuff that I have deco"ed" in the past....no bleeding issues... never mind the flash (man you can see all the flaws Sad )

here is another from a shrine we did...we printed it with "grain" so it looked old and crackled.

I was thinking also how long do you wait between printing and deco? I usually wait a week or longer...that might have something to do with it...maybe
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hercuteness
wonderfulonium

Give me a week or two to go absolutely cuckoo.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006 01:31:51 PM »

good job!  those look great.

i agree about the polycrylic.  i've been using it for years to seal just about everything.  the roller you have is probably a brayer and is used in printing.  looks like it works pretty well for you. . .i bet you could get a really tight seal if you use a plastic edger. . .like they use on wallpaper.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

You got no fear of the underdog. . .that's why you will not survive!

PHOTOGRAPHY - It's what I do, and I'm pretty darn good.
http://www.fulltiltphotography.com/

FACEBOOK
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1261437978

MYSPACE
http://www.myspace.com/nadiacaffesse
kitschycoup
Modest Mom

Tim Gunn is MY homeboy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006 05:19:04 PM »

You mentioned the flaws, but I don't see anything. Looks like you have nice smooth surface there to me. AND some really kickarse items as well.
(Pats you on back)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Being cool is not a competition - It's a cause!!" ~ me

The universe is shaped exactly like the earth. If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were.
jenefor
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006 11:46:54 PM »

Thanks Smiley and yea it is a bryer (sp?)...my big picts are slealed on the edges nicly but the others I was just kinda tossing together with leftover wood I had around Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Navigate in Blender
How to Load & Save in Blender
How to UV Map in Blender
How to Use Basic Key Framing and IPO Curves in Blender
How to Model with Subserfs in Blender
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Removable Fabric Wallpaper
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...