A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,519
Currently Running With Scissors:
667 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Geek Godess Costume Ideas  (Read 2246 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ruby_soho

That's what she said.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 18, 2006 02:29:52 PM »

I came up with an idea to be a Geek Goddess for Halloween this year and want to get started on making a costume, but I only got as far as naming it... does anyone have any ideas on how I can pull this off?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i care about you a homemade oven mitt's worth.
Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006 04:56:27 PM »

Oh be eris, goddess of chaos. Y'know, if you're into chaos, you could go with something you're more iterested in, but chaos is fun, too. And you'd get to carry around a golden apple.
mccall's has a pretty dress thats actually based on one from starwars 3, I don't really know since I haven't seen it. Heh and my boyfriend is a starwars nut. Anyway, I thought it was pretty and you could do it in a different color. lets see.. its M4995. I mean just look at that cool wavey thing.
M3514 is cute, too. M2895 isn't really that exciting, and haveing the 1 arm toga thing is just something modern people made up, people were sensible enough back then to cover both shoulders. Theres butterick B4572, again not very interesting.
Yup yup. I'm glad I'm not the only person who gets excited about halloween months in advance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starhistnake
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006 10:08:21 AM »

I always get my Greeks and my Romans cofused, but I think Medusa was Greek (but not a goddess.)  Anyway I went as her one year and I loved it.  I made paper machet snakes(with glitter eyes) attached to a wire circle  and wore the wire pinned in my hair.  For the rest of the costume I dressed all in black with a sort of sexy/slutty look.  I went to a party and ran into two other Medusa's that night.  One was just a store bought costume, but the other had taken rubber toy snakes and pinned them up in her hair and then just wore black pants and a snake print halter top with a faux snake tattoo on her back.

And I'm pretty sure she's Roman but I think Daphne as she's being turned into a tree might be awesome.  Hope that helps.

He, today I was just thinking that I better get started planning the costumes.  There will be the going out one and the one for the  Living Dead Doll contest. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
coolgrin
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006 10:33:15 AM »

Geek or Greek?

If geek then thick glasses are a must.  Hair must be an lopsided ponytail and flyaways.  Thick soled shoes too.  And depending on the type of geek you want to be depends on the outfit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Overheard in New York http://www.overheardinnewyork.com/

Man to girlfriend: Shit, I like that Martha Stewart. She a gangsta in disguise.

--Kmart, Astor Place
kristieb

Compulsive Crafter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006 10:40:01 AM »

I would wear a toga for sure. Have messy hair and put lots of pens and pencils in it. Some how make a pocket on the front of your toga and put a calculator in it. Wear thick glasses (taped in the middle), black shoes with white socks....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

coolgrin
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006 10:54:44 AM »

I would wear a toga for sure. Have messy hair and put lots of pens and pencils in it. Some how make a pocket on the front of your toga and put a calculator in it. Wear thick glasses (taped in the middle), black shoes with white socks....

Yes and a red cardigan that grandma would make if you were four.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Overheard in New York http://www.overheardinnewyork.com/

Man to girlfriend: Shit, I like that Martha Stewart. She a gangsta in disguise.

--Kmart, Astor Place
ruby_soho

That's what she said.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006 11:31:47 AM »

yes, GEEK, not greek.   Cheesy

thanks so much for your ideas.

i was also thinking about making a belt-ish thing for the toga out of computer cables or something similar... : /
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i care about you a homemade oven mitt's worth.
RamenQueen
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006 11:55:19 AM »

Well it depends on what type of "Geek" Goddess ...Book geek , Techno  Geek , Gamer geek Etc ...given the cables comment maybe have some thing written on your toga in C++ or Biniary ....take a grapevine wreath and go to goodwill and buy an old keyboard tear the keys off of it and glue them on the wreath to make your crown .....thats all i got
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006 02:10:48 PM »

Lol *bonks self on head* I should rememebr to double read before posting.
Dad just threw away a bunch of old computer parts a couple weeks ago. I have this shirt which might inspire you somehow. Also the tech jewelry.
a crown made out of.. stuff? I'm very uncreative at the moment, heh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starhistnake
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006 10:44:55 AM »

Guess I get more than my Greeks and Romans confused sometimes.  Great idea for a costume.  You might incorporate the symbol for pi somewhere.  I actually once had to tape my glasses because they broke.  Not in the middle, on the side.  May suggest duct tape?  It's just so classy.  Um . . . maybe  see if you can find a "Star Wars" or some other print bedsheet that would fit in with your theme to make your toga out of.  They might even have some cloth at the fabric store that would work. Good luck, I'm sure your costume will be very geeky.  In a good way.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Your Own Pair of Dip-Dye Shorts
Kanye West and Kim Kardashian Continue with the Monochrome Trend
Katie Holmes Sports Tight Leather Pants
Three New Ways to Wear Stripes During the Summer
Kate Moss Sports a Bohemian-Style Outfit in St.-Tropez
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...