A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,141
Currently Running With Scissors:
463 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DORMANT: Butterfly Shawl from knit 1.  (Read 6648 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lithiumesque
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2006 09:55:18 PM »

I just picked up the issue tonight, and noticed this thread. I'm pretty new at crochet, but my mom's been doing it for most of her life, so if I get stuck I'll have her walk me through it. Anyway, I'd love to participate in this one =D Ill go get me thread and needle as soon as I get more cash. I'm excited. My first pure crochet project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loisgriffinwannabe
The knitter formerly known as Cutieknittahfairy...

Happy!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2006 10:27:53 PM »

I still haven't had the moola to get the crochet thread for this... but mark my words (my momma's fave expression) I will soon!

Emms  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cnp71201
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2006 08:03:43 AM »

I'm in! I have a question. How much of the yarn called for is needed for the butterflies, and how much for the mesh? How much fingering weight yarn will I need, and how much worsted? I'm trying to figure out if I have anything that will work, or if I am going to have to wait until I can buy yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm crystalnickel on Ravelry!

Visit my blog at http://cnp71203.blogspot.com/. It has a little of everything... well, most things!

http://www.wists.com/cnp71203
spacecase71
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2006 03:30:20 PM »

It took me a long time to decide how much worsted and how much fingering to buy. I even took apart the orange and yellow butterfly and measured the yardage I used for each part (24 yards for the butterfly and 26 yards for mesh) but I got stuck on the fringe. I COULD NOT figure out how to take into account the fringe.

Another thing I thought about doing was just taking the total yardage needed (4800) and dividing it by 4, on the principle that part of the time it is used with 4 strands held together (that makes 1200,) and then just ordering 1200 yards of both. I wasn't sure if that would work, either.  Undecided

I ended up, more less at random, just ordering 6 skeins of Cotton Fleece and 1 cone of Cotton Fine. (I planned to use both in the fringe.)

But then they came yesterday and I didn't like the color so I sent them back today.

And then, rather than reorder and wait some more time, I went to Wal-Mart after work and bought Aunt Lydia's #10 bedspread cotton.

Also today, I got a note back from Soho publishing explaining to me what Butterlite explained to me loooooong ago (I wrote them both on the same day) about my misunderstanding the pattern, and Lisa, after kindly telling me the same thing Butterlite told me, mention that there is some errata for this pattern posted at the Knit.1 website now. She sent it along and here it is:

Knit1 Summer '06 
#10 butterfly shawl  photos on pages 42 & 43, instructions begin on page 83

1.Yarn color listed is incorrect.  Correct color is #124 ecru.

2. The large butterfly instructions are correct as written.  All but 2 butterflies in the original shawl have ONE tr coming from the head.  Unfortunately, those 2 butterflies with TWO tr are shown in the photo.  The designer's instructions are written for ONE tr.

3. The small butterfly instructions are incorrect, see correction below. 

Triangle Butterfly Motif (Make 7)
Butterfly body, Head, Neck Shaping and first wing are correct.

First wing
Ch 7, sc to top of st at row 1 of body...(Same st as base of ch 7). 
Second wing
Pull up a long loop, sl st in top of st at top of Row 3 on 2nd side of body. Ch 7, sc to top of st at Row 1 on edge of body. Rep rows 1, 2, and 3 ending Row 3 with sl st to top of st at Row 1 on edge of body. (Same st as base of ch 7). Fasten off. DO NOT pull up a long loop as with first wing.

Sorry for the superlong post. Will return with photos soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
loisgriffinwannabe

Happy!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2006 11:34:18 AM »

Sorry for the superlong post.

Don't apologize! That was a really helpful post! Thank You!!! Grin

Emms
THIS ROCKS   Logged

butterlite
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2006 10:31:02 PM »

You know....I'm pretty pissed at how long it took them to post corrections. I emailed them 2x a month ago, and only received the email with the corrections in it today(no other word. just today!)! I hate my shawl now and want to toss it in the trash! I spent SO much time on it and feel like I was the "Guinea pig" test crocheter! Who want's it? cuz I'm about to rip it to shreds and toss it in the trash!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

loisgriffinwannabe

Happy!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2006 10:36:55 PM »

cuz I'm about to rip it to shreds and toss it in the trash!

Its gorgeous butterlite, why would you want to do that Huh

You inspired so many others to make this pattern with your shawl! Don't toss it! It looks fine to me!

Emms Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

snowsculpture
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2006 10:56:17 PM »

hey there.  i started making this shawl a couple weeks ago i think and i just saw this thread.  i understand about the mistakes in the pattern; i was so confused!  thankfully i hadn't gotten too far in when i realized that the final round in *some* of the squares are the joining round.  i had to rip out the last round of a couple of them to fix mine.  if it helps...

1.  do the mesh for 12 of the square butterflies then lay them out with the others so it makes sort of a checkerboard pattern (i dunno if that makes sense, think of the meshed ones as the 'white squares' and the un-meshed ones as the black)

2.  then start doing the mesh for the other ones and the final rounds for these will join to the squares (or triangles) adjacent to them.

good luck everyone!  i'm not finished yet, but so far i think the work has been worth it.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spacecase71
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2006 03:43:03 PM »

I'm about to rip it to shreds and toss it in the trash!

DON'T DO IT!

Your shawl is gorgeous; for real.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soapturtle
Turtle Collector

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2006 09:05:11 AM »

You know....I'm pretty pissed at how long it took them to post corrections. I emailed them 2x a month ago, and only received the email with the corrections in it today(no other word. just today!)! I hate my shawl now and want to toss it in the trash! I spent SO much time on it and feel like I was the "Guinea pig" test crocheter! Who want's it? cuz I'm about to rip it to shreds and toss it in the trash!

While I understand your frustation with not getting the corrections in a timely manner, your shawl is beautiful and it would be a shame to destroy it in a fit of anger.   Your shawl is the reason I decided to buy the  mag and make it at some future date, and I imagine many others feel the same.  It's still stunning and it's still handmade by you.  I think you should keep it.   
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006 09:14:28 AM by soapturtle » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Pick Fish for Sushi
How to Make Spicy Mayo
How to Make Eel Sauce
How to Slice Sushi Fish
How to Slice Sashimi
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...