A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,608
Currently Running With Scissors:
504 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DORMANT: Butterfly Shawl from knit 1.  (Read 6464 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

theresa24

You can never have enough yarn...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2006 12:11:37 AM »

Wow! I am going to the store tommrow to get that magazine.

WOW! It looks really great! You must be really proud.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spacecase71
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006 06:41:06 PM »

butterlite:

Thanks for asking me to join the crochetalong and thanks for being so helpful with my questions. As soon as I get a decent square from the yarn I've decided to use, I'll have to order some in the right color (I want to do white) so I don't know when I'll be able to really get started. I love this shawl: it is so beautiful. As soon as I opened the magazine I saw it and I WANTED it  ;)What luck to find this crochetalong.

Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
butterlite
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006 07:44:43 PM »

Anytime spacecase!! What yarn are you using?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spacecase71
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2006 02:38:23 PM »

The info I had suggested that the elusive Lion Crochet Cotton was almost as heavy as fingering (sock) yarn, which would make 4 strands held together about a worsted weight. So I got the idea to use Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece for the butterflies and Cotton Fine for the mesh. I had some various bits of both around the place so that is what I'm working my swatch with. I need to get my swatch finished, though, so I can pull it apart and measure it to know how much of each to buy. Since this method was such a departure from how the sample was made, I couldn't think of any other way to know for sure.

I'm still having trouble figuring how to wrap the thread around the butterfly neck (that sounds kind of mean, doesn't it?) so that it looks halfway decent. Got any tips?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
butterlite
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2006 05:22:00 PM »

How I did it was with the head facing to the right and the active loop on top, I wraped the string towards me and then to the back... just pull it real tight so that it creats a neck.

I used caron brand, grandma's best(1000 yrd balls)..The Lion crochet cotton is a size 10 crochet cotton(mercerized 100% cotton) it's a standard size, I experimented with some lily brand sugar n cream (a worsted weight)cotton for 6 of the large butterflies... they came out slightly bigger than the one's using 4 strands of crochet cotton, I understand why they called for the mercerized cotton, especially  for the mesh, it has to do with the drape of the fabric...I didn't do a swatch. This isn't a fitted garment, so I didn't bother...I figured if I'm off by a fraction of an inch on the squares big deal(I was real close in the end, but I didn't figure that out untill I started on the mesh, I made ALL of the butterflies, large and small before I even attempted the mesh)..

Lemme know how your swatch comes out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spacecase71
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2006 06:23:15 PM »

Finally finished swatch

I am very pleased with it. To compare, I also started a sample using some size 10 bedspread weight, but I didn't finish it. I'm satisfied with the Cotton Fleece, although I really liked the sheen of the mercerized cotton. My gauge is good, so I don't think the substitution of yarns is going to be a problem. I'm not excited that I have to order yarn, because I'm anxious to get started!

« Last Edit: June 02, 2006 06:26:11 PM by spacecase71 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
loisgriffinwannabe
The knitter formerly known as Cutieknittahfairy...

Happy!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2006 11:40:47 PM »

That looks great spacecase71! I might copy you and use those yarns too!

Emms Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

butterlite
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2006 12:40:26 PM »

That looks Amazing Spacecase!!! I love the multi-colored effect!!! Just gorgeous! Your sub yarns are aresome!! And look at that beautiful butterfly neck you did...Easy after you get the hang of it isn't it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spacecase71
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2006 01:32:46 PM »

Thanks guys!

Seriously, butterlite, I could NOT have done it without you. It was easy after I got the hang of it; after you explained I was hitting my head Du-oh! style, but, until then, I was having a complete brain block with this pattern. Don't know why, just one of those things.....

Since I first saw the sample shawl in the magazine, I've had my heart set on one in the traditional white. While I was working this, though, and seeing how pretty the colors came together, I started thinking maybe I need two shawls! I couldn't make one out of these colors, though. I think I mentioned that I used random stash pieces for this swatch. The butterfly is Wild Orange but the mesh is Chamois, which Brown Sheep doesn't make anymore, and I don't have enough for a whole shawl.

I think there are a lot of color possibilities for this pattern. One could make all the butterflies different colors, for instance, and do the mesh in green or blue or tan. Or you could mix it up within the butterfly, with the four strands held together by using four shades of the same color or four different colors or for one or more strands use variegated thread or metallic thread. When I was first thinking about what yarn to use, I thought about using both white and natural bedspread cotton. That could be interesting.

Right now, though, I'm still going with the white. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spacecase71
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2006 03:08:57 PM »

I ordered my yarn today! I debated a long time (all weekend) over the "white" versus the "antique white" and finally decided the antique was more what I had in mind for the project. Of course, when I called, they told me it was backordered. Only for two weeks, though. That's the Cotten Fleece that is backordered. The Cotton Fine will be sent right out. Which doesn't help so much....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Personalized Macro - Shake 4.1
How to Use Final Cut Pro 6 Part 4/4
How to Create 3D Diamond Sphere - Motion 3
How to Use Motion and Shake Together
How to Do Shape Tracking - Motion 3
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...