A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 298,096
Currently Running With Scissors:
501 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HELP a scrawny girl make a nice dress!!  (Read 1680 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ksew
« on: May 18, 2006 06:44:33 AM »

Hi!
So.. all you girls making dresses for this summer have made me jealous!  I am feeling  the dress vibe too, the only problem is I can't ever make a nice one for the life of me.  In the summer I always wear a skirt and top.. I want dresses!!  Here is my problem.. I'm 31 but my body looks like a 12 yr. olds!  Im skinny and scrawny, my legs look like toothpicks, and I have tiny breasts.  Any dress I have attempted to make just looks frumpy on me.  Also.. any patterns I have bought have very large hips, and large breast darts.  I have no idea how to adjust breast darts to make them nearly non existant (as my breasts are!!) but I can deal with the hip fixings.  Any advice on nice patterns for summer dresses that wont leave big bundles on unfilled fabric around my breasts and wont make me look like a little girl playing dress up??? Do you know of companies that tend to run on the more "straight" side?  I mean, less curvy?  I know simplicity is way too curvy and busty for me, and I dont want to buy a bunch of patterns just to find out the same!!  I dont like anything frilly.  I dont like pleats or gathers around my waist.  I like straight and simple lines..clean looking.. help??
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006 09:46:37 AM by ksew » THIS ROCKS   Logged
rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006 07:49:58 AM »

before i had my baby, i was built exactly like you.  Smiley  i feel your pain.

have you considered making your own patterns?  the kind of things you want to make are so simple.  for example, i made this dress by laying a wife beater shirt on top of the fabric, tracing around it, then lengthening the body until is was as long as i wanted it:

you can also just copy clothing you already have that fits the way you like.  there are lots of books that tell how to do this, i like "patterns from finished clothes" , which shows how to copy shirts, skirts, pants, etc.

if you will share some pictures of things you'd like to make, i'll help you figure out how to make the pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do: www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
PinkyK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006 07:59:58 AM »

I saw a tutorial on making your own dress form from duct tape. I haven't tried it yet but it might help you get the fit right.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=28407.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rostitchery

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006 08:17:26 AM »

the dress form that my red dress is on is made from gaffer's tape, which is the theater equivalent of duct tape.  the pole holding it up is an upholstery fabric tube from the fabric store, with a PVC pipe inside so the dummy can spin.  the whole thing is on a beautiful christmas tree stand that i bought when it was on sale at a local museum.

when i made this dummy, i put on one of my outfits to see how it looked and my littlest cat HISSED at the form!  to this day, she won't go near it if it has my clothes on it.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006 08:19:44 AM by rostitchery » THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkyK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006 08:21:13 AM »

the dress form that my red dress is on is made from gaffer's tape, which is the theater equivalent of duct tape.  the pole holding it up is an upholstery fabric tube from the fabric store, with a PVC pipe inside so the dummy can spin.  the whole thing is on a beautiful christmas tree stand that i bought when it was on sale at a local museum.

when i made this dummy, i put on one of my outfits to see how it looked and my littlest cat HISSED at the form!  to this day, she won't go near it if it has my clothes on it.

D'oh! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ksew
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006 08:27:30 AM »

HI!
Yes, a dress form would REALLY help, but I just dont have the space in my apt!  My studio is the living room... anyway.. this first pattern is one that I have already tried.. nice and simple, yet the boobs are far too large, and I dont understand how to make the boobs smaller...(I made the first black dress on left)

This next one I would LOVE to buy, but again, Im worried about the boobs..I could easily fix any large hip pattern problems..

and this last one, I really like too, the sleeveless one, and without the ruffles.  Again, boob factors are big in this one too. *IF* I ever wore a bra- which I cant because i am an a cup, but am 36"around and I cannot find a bra anywhere with those dimensions..  but if I did, I would be an A cup.  So.. any pattern I have ever bought in my size has assumptions that my breasts are like most peoples..B or C.  

any help??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ladyofthelake

Charley the Scrap Eater

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006 09:22:39 AM »

Hello. I can't help you much with the dress part since I'm a newbie myself, but I can help you with the bra problem. I was a 36A for years and years (it's only changed now cuz I've gained weight in some good areas). And no, really expensive, nice bras usually don't come in 36A. No Victoria's Secret for me. I have, however, found some great bras at JC Penney and Target, and even Wal-Mart. The bras I've found there are almost identical to the expensive ones, but much cheaper and in a variety of sizes. The only thing you'll have to deal with is bras with thicker lining or even padded. The ones with one layer of fabric tend not to fit A cups. I hope this helps...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If at first you don't succeed, go buy more fabric.
ksew
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006 09:45:08 AM »

ladyofthelake..
thank you!  I will have to try target..  The other sotres I dont have around me.. I dont mind a TINY bit of padding but I hate most padded bras.. did any of the stores you mentioned have unpadded ones that fit??  Thanks!!  (sorry for getting off topic everyone!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rostitchery

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006 10:02:23 AM »

ksew, i'm leaving town later today so i won't be able to help you this weekend, but please remind me next week and i'll talk you thru the pattern problems.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006 02:27:54 PM »

No victoria's secret? according to their website they carry 36 A's. I'm a 32 A and I get mine at target because I don't have the money to get them at victorias secret.
I found a book in my basement called "The Perfect Fit" by Singer.
On darts, if you are smaller, you are supposed to make the darts shallower.
It shows what it looks like if it is wrong and how to fix it. I'm pretty sure it is stll in print.
It even shows how to eliminate darts, I'll see if I can get a scan of part pf it for you.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006 02:30:53 PM by Thesingingllamas » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Outdoor Photography Tips
Camera Aperture Tips
Digital Camera Shutter Speed
ISO Settings Explained
Memory Card Options
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...