A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,547
Currently Running With Scissors:
664 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: LYS near ASU?  (Read 1253 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

low_budget_diva
« on: May 18, 2006 12:01:17 AM »

I am going to Tempe next week for several days and I am looking to do some yarn shopping while there. Any suggestions for locally-owned shops near ASU? The hubby's doing a conference there and I'm just along for the ride, so I will have lots of time to explore, but no car.
I have searched this board for yarn in Tempe, but so far I've only seen Jo-Anns and some thrift stores mentioned. I've got those in Oakland. Are there any small, interesting shops I should check out?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When you are forty-two years old and you have five children, it's a slippery slope into sweatpants and a minivan. So I just don't go there."--Laura Bennett, Project Runway
TheThriftShopper.Com
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006 07:33:34 AM »

Holy mackeral Batman! Are you glad I saw your post. There's a place right in the heart of Tempe on Apache Blvd, between Mcklintock and Rural Rd called SAS Fabric. (I lived there for 7 years and used to deliver food while going to school, I know Tempe better than I know anywhere.) The address and phone # for SAS Fabric, By the Pound, is:  1700 E. Apache Blvd., Tempe, AZ 85281 (480) 966-7557. What they actually are is a wholesale house, open to the public, that sells unsold fabric and craft supplies. I used to make cigar box purses and got most of my supplies at SAS. They also have an even larger one in Phoenix, if you're inclined to go. I'm telling you you'll freak out when you walk in. There's also a thrift store called Gracies that I frequented often a few yards down Apache towards Rural Rd.(Westof SAS)they have a yarn bin if I remember correctly. I'm sorry my directory for AZ and LA is not coplete yet. When we debut July 1st with a complete directory, I hope you'll use it often for your traveling thrift yarn hunting adventures.

Michael
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't forget to look in your local thrift stores for your crafting supplies. Please check out my national directory of thrift stores at www.TheThriftShopper.Com for your shopping convenience.
crafty mama
ooh. snap crackle poop.

I'm a llama's mama!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006 08:24:04 AM »

Tempe Yarn and Fiber is just down University between Rual and McClintock. It's new, but they are super nice and have quality stuff. I second SAS and Gracie's. It's hit or miss if you'll actually find knitting related material, but always worth a look as it is unusual and super duper cheap. Jessica knits in scottsdale is also fab if you want to make a drive. Feel free to pm me if you need more info or anything. Best of luck. Pack hot weather clothes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Under my mattress
I keep boxes of beautiful dreams
And late at night
When no ones in sight
They come out and whisper to me - J,LC
low_budget_diva
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006 11:41:20 AM »

Thanks. I had read about SAS, but the LYS was a first. I will definitely check them both out.
I just recently had my first exciting score of yarn at a thrift store, so I am definitely eager to find more bargain yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When you are forty-two years old and you have five children, it's a slippery slope into sweatpants and a minivan. So I just don't go there."--Laura Bennett, Project Runway
low_budget_diva
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006 05:51:10 PM »

Just to let you guys know: I'm in Tempe now and I checked out all the recommended places--all very close to my hotel as it happens. Tempe Yarn was cute, but not much there for me today. They had a lot of soysilk--so pretty, but not my budget right now.
I had great fun/luck at Gracies and SAS--fab stores!

Thanks for the reccomendations!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Brandon Mull Talks About His Books
Author Matt Myklusch Reveals His Advice to Budding Writers
Trailer of the Wish Stealers by Tracy Trivas
Boyd Morrison Discuss His Riveting Novel: The Ark
Susan Rebecca White Discusses Her Novel a Soft Place to Land
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...