A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,890
Currently Running With Scissors:
738 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Corset top for somebody. ... with tute! IMAGE HEAVY D:  (Read 10118 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

teh-moose
« on: May 17, 2006 10:18:32 PM »

I made another corset top as promised. For my older sister. Except I made hers a halter, because it's much easier to get on  Roll Eyes

I made other things but.. I think I'll leave it at this for ths post because it comes with... A TUTORIAL!!  Shocked

I've had this browser window open to writing this tutorial for an entire day because I had to go buy eyelets because I lost mine  Cry So without further ado...

OHMYGOSH TUTE
For this, you're going to need simplicity pattern 9369 in your size, a yard of fashion fabric, and a yard of lining.  And then whatever you want for bias crap. My, or rather, My sister's corset panels are going to interchange between green and pink, so I have the two. It's also being lined with... well, scraps of white cotton.  I think I have a yard and a half of each, because I buy this stuff without purpouse Smiley You'll also need a pack of eyelets, and at -least- four yards of whatever you want to lace up the back with.

On the pattern, you're going to be using pieces 14 through 18, modded a bit because the curves are made to do this:

So here are the modifications.

We'll "tame some curves" so to speak. I'm mainly adding to the waistline, and taking in bits that stick out quite a bit at the top; the pattern as is makes for quite a drastic shape, so unless you have rather large chest, I'd take in the top at least a little. I'm leaving the hips for the most part, since the size I'm using is about the same as my sister's. Not much needed there. Smiley  Another change I made is, I cut the back down so it decends fluidly. And, since I wanted the front to just be one piece, I put center front along a fold. This is also because I do not have access to any sort of busk, and unfortunately, also no hook and eye tape. Blah. I'm going to make this particular top a halter.  cut two of each on your folded-in-half-fabric. Assuming you know that basic thing for getting left and right sides :O

Lookit all those PIECES.

Mark your little triangles and sew together left and right sides (if you have the center front seperated) of the LINING accordingly, at 5/8ths. I keep my sewing machine on this setting.. well, always.

I suggest you keep it this way for this project, because you're going to have to iron the seams open.

As one piece, it should look something like these. If it's all one piece like mine, wrap it around yourself and see if theres anything horribly off you need to adjust. If it's fine, do the same with your fashion fabric pieces. Now you should have one (or two) piece(s) of lining, and the same of fashion fabric. Woot! Now go iron all the seams open.

now, I don't have any decor I want to put at the bottom of this. So what I'm going to do is, I think is called bagging; Basically, put the pieces front to front, and pin together at seams, and sides, leaving the top open.

Same 5/8 seam allowance, same stitching, sew that all the way around; See, now its a bag!  Cheesy

Trim the edge seam by half. Now flip it right side out, poke out the corners, and iron flat. Isn't that all nice and neat? Now, line up the seams, and pin the seams right to each other as even as you possibly can and sew right down the seam. Stitch in the ditch. Woo. Now he'res an opportunity for some contrast stitching or something. Go back and sew along the seams like this, with your presser foot lining up with the seam, repeat with all seams.

If you had boning, you'd stick then in those channels. But I don't have any, so I just do it for like. neatness. Now, go and sew 1/4 inch from the very back edge on both back sides, then at least a half inch again from that seam. between these two new seams is where you'll put the eyelets.

NOW, for the neatness on top. Cut about an inch and a half wide strip of contrast fabric, or bias tape, or whatever. and pin it facedown to the front like so.

Note, this is an alternative to bagging, if you wanna do it all the way around. Now staystitch it across at 5/8, and cut the seam excess down by half. Then.. since I can't explain well in text, do this, folding in the edge first.

Pin in place all the way across the top. You can either go in by hand and use an invisible stitch on the inside, or you can sew along either side on the outside like I'm doing here:

You need eyelets and a little eyelet setter dude for this, or grommets and a grommet setter. Between the two seams on each side of the back, measure out places for an even amount of eyelets about an inch apart, give or take space for an even spacing. You want them at least a half inch from the top/bottom. Mark, and cut little holes on the marks, and set in your eyelets/grommets in those.

Now that we've got all those in, it's time to lace it up. I think four to five yards should be plenty more than enough. start from the top ant work your way down. When you're done, it should look like this.

Make sure you have enough space to be able to slip it on over your head if you made it in one piece like mine. if not, hey, you're set. tie the tightest knot you can in the bottom, and snip off the extra lacing stuff. Try it on, pulling it tight using the loopies left in the two middle eyelets, and tying it wherever you're comfy. Assuming you didn't take very much off the bust curves in the beginning, the top is going to be a bit loose. it's time for straps! You -should-  be able to figure that one out for yourself. I hope.  Cheesy  
So as I thought, the bust turned out big in front again. To fix that I just took it in about an inch on each side which you can see in the side picture. no big deal.

Erm.. Yeah! And thats how I made that! I hope that's good enough.  Undecided If not, then well I'm terrible at explaining shhhhhhtuff. Don't mind meee XD
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010 10:52:47 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Krystyna
Queen of Ghana, Daughter of the Most High

Ghanian Queen for Real (seriously)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006 01:56:58 AM »

WOW!! That is really cute flattering and really well done! it's beautiful <speechless>   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love a lot of stuff, ice-cream, Ghana, clothes. Yada
But what I love the most died on a hill far away,
BUT He came back again and said I'll fly away with Him
Ain't that nice?!
Ms. Rosie

Helpz Mommee is a cwazee cat ladee!!!!!!!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006 02:56:59 AM »

That is very neat!  I really like those fabrics together.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ok, so I am the crazy cat lady.  Live with it.
funky_monkey86
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006 11:46:23 AM »

you are my hero.
The tute is perfect! I usually can't unerstand patterns to well, so your pictures really helped.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 kiki
pixi_jasmine
Jмηз

Im working on it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006 12:17:13 PM »

its a shame i cant get simplicity pattern 9369 or rather many patterns at all here in sweden :/ i really want to make this corset top...*sigh* your tute is definately easy to understand though...probably i can wing the pattern//
the top btw :- which was the whole point to me writing this post...anyway; the top is absolutely amazing on you! The colors and everything rock Smiley
Wonderful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teh-moose
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006 12:30:59 PM »

the top is absolutely amazing on you!

Its not meeee. I'm pretty skinny. Tis my older sister. .>>;;
THIS ROCKS   Logged
micky_mouse
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006 03:18:09 PM »

arg thanks for the tut i cant wait to make some
THIS ROCKS   Logged

StarterKit
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006 04:07:00 PM »

I love the red one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SoonFamo-Artiste
Addict To Crafts.

I am crafty obsess.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006 05:29:39 PM »

u go girl both is cute, i cant believe they really suck in everything, u go gurl, does it feel uncomfortable?  I luv the tank top one as well, cuz it dont go tight like the red one but u can still see what it resembles
THIS ROCKS   Logged
micky_mouse
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006 06:38:34 PM »

i was wondering i the red one is the back tied like the other corset or just the hooks in the front
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lobster Corn Dog Recipe
3 Different Ways to Grill & Prepare Corn
The Secret to Perfect Buffalo Wings
What Your Chicago-Style Hot Dog is Missing
Gourmet Ham-and-Cheese Grilled Cheese Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...