A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
467 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First Official BBQ of summer  (Read 2396 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

heyleslee

I can spell miscellaneous

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2006 05:36:14 PM »

Hi everyone!  My boss is having a BBQ for everyone at work (only about 10 people) on Memorial Day.  I want something cute, but also weather appropriate, it's already HOT here.  I really want to wear a tank or a halter...BUT, I don't like to show my arms.   Do any of you creative gals have any ideas??  And, I am a fairly advanced seamstress, so give me all you got!!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkropers
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006 06:18:11 PM »

Heyleslee, your question really hit home with me because it's already HOT here, too!  And every spring, there are all these great outdoor activities, but--it's HOT.  This is my take on the heat and humidity, and that is a skort and a woven top.  The skort in a crease-resistant fabric will look flattering and neat whether standing or seated.  A hip-length top in a crease-resistant fabric will be comfortable and flattering, too.  For myself, I would have a shirt with some fit darts, to keep from appearing boxy, and  would be sleeveless, maybe a button down with a little collar, in a lightweight but crease-resistant fabric.  If and when I wear 100% cotton or linen in the heat and humidity, my clothes end up sweaty, crinkled, and shapeless.  A little bit of poly does more good than harm. You might rather wear a top more bohemian styled rather than a tailored, classic style.  Then your skort would look like a mini.  Also, I've started using Huggies liquid baby powder and it's comfortable.   You might want to try it.  I use a little on my face and it keeps my makeup from melting in the heat.  Well, gotta go try on my skort...

By the way, some bright toenail polish and some outstanding flip flops are also necessary.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
heyleslee

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006 06:24:30 PM »

Oh my gosh! Thanks for all the great suggestions! I was just thinking I need some new flip-flops!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
prettypitbull
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006 09:28:54 PM »

I was just thinking I need some new flip-flops!
A girl can ALWAYS use a new pair of flip flops! LOL! Well, I have to say I also don't like showing my arms. I'll be attending a backyard wedding mid-summer and I'm wearing a camisole with a really gauzy peasant top over top with capris!(I'm not too much of a skirt girl either but there are a few on here that I'm kinda likin!) Have Fun!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006 10:45:44 PM by prettypitbull » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ms.cate
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006 10:59:14 PM »

I've found wearing a skirt (wrap around or longer cotton), wedge sandals, singlet top with loose (but shaped) top over the singlet works quite well in summer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

low_budget_diva
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006 12:10:52 AM »

If you're a pretty advanced seamstress, I would suggest making a dress in a lightweight fabric (perhaps a wrap dress?) and doing a modified kimono sleeve, like a half sleeve that bells a little. If it's a lightweight, natural fiber such as linen or cotton, having a flowy short sleeve will be flattering and keep you cool. I'll post a photo of what I have in mind if i can find one.

Here's a pic of the sleeve style, but you could do a modified version: http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/edressme_1898_5912756
Or like this http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/azaleastore_1897_32416099

« Last Edit: May 19, 2006 10:15:18 PM by low_budget_diva » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When you are forty-two years old and you have five children, it's a slippery slope into sweatpants and a minivan. So I just don't go there."--Laura Bennett, Project Runway
dont-panic

honk if you love justice

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006 12:44:07 PM »

Oh! I like the kimono sleeves.

I was thinking something similar to the kimono sleeves attached to a dress something like this one, in a nice, soft, lightweight, cotton/slight synthetic blend:

I haven't ever succeeded at posting pictures, so http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/flaffadoobie/detail?.dir=de26scd&.dnm=246fscd.jpg&.src=ph is where the picture is if it doesn't work!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006 12:45:38 PM by dont-panic » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so.

-Douglas Adams
low_budget_diva
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006 12:49:43 PM »

That's a gorgeous dress. If you make one, please share your pattern. That style plus kimono sleeves sounds a lot like this   Plenty by Tracy Reese dress they had at anthropologie a while back. I was trying to find a pic for you.
Good luck!

Edit: I found the dress I had in mindhttp://www.anthropologie.com/jump.jsp?itemID=8918&itemType=PRODUCT&iSubCat=297&iMainCat=17
It's a bit lux for a bbq, but at least you can see how flattering the shape is (I normally wear a 16 and this fit me in a 12 because the sleeves are so billowy and the only fitted part is the waist; but I don't have 300 bucks to blow on a dress!)

As clever craftsters know, anthro's website let's you get a veeeeery close up look at the prducts so you can copy them better, er, I mean, know what you're buying. Right.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006 10:13:28 PM by low_budget_diva » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When you are forty-two years old and you have five children, it's a slippery slope into sweatpants and a minivan. So I just don't go there."--Laura Bennett, Project Runway
heyleslee

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006 09:40:29 AM »

Omg! That red dress is smoking! I think I will be doing something like that for the top and wearing it with some capris! There's gonna be a three legged race, so I can't risk a skirt! Shocked this is such a great place to get ideas, you guys rock!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
prettypitbull
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006 02:39:48 PM »

o.k. umm this might sound stupid but I don't know when Memorial Day is exactly. (I'm Canadian EH!) So my question is, have you decided what you're going to wear and, if it's passed, what did you end up wearing??? Please post pics of your craftiness!!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006 03:10:31 PM by prettypitbull » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Birthday Craft Ideas for Children
How to Create a Summer Camp Survival Kit
How to Make a Travel Scrapbook
How to Frame a Baby Hand Tracing
How to Make a Homemade Felt Board
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...