A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,208
Currently Running With Scissors:
452 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gusset bags with rings - TUTORIAL - zipper tutorial included  (Read 5430 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , alexander_henry , zipper  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

iwriteplays
« on: May 17, 2006 11:30:28 AM »

Tutorial

Here's how to make bags like the following ones:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=93001.0

(as seen in the Spring Bag Challenge)

The nice thing about this project is you can adjust the size according to how much fabric you have. Lots of fabric = big bag, little fabric = little bag. The only constraint you have is the length of the zipper.  I used a 12" zipper, and I find it was a good choice.

You'll need the following supplies:

1) a main fabric, or two if you're going to do the different-style gusset
2) fusible fleece (I also call it interfacing, 'cause I'm sloppy). For those who don't know, fusible fleece is soft batting that you iron onto the WRONG side of your fabric. It provides stability for the bag.
3) Lining.
4) A zipper.
5) Rings to connect the strap.
6) Thread... obviously.

Here's the key:

here's what to cut:  (note: on the main body pieces, I made the curve a little more concave, so that the bottom edge bulged out more. It was too difficult to draw with my crappy mouse, so you may just have to imagine it.)

In summary, you'll have:

-6 main panels (2 main fabric, 2 lining, 2 interfacing)

-2 zipper panels, cut from main fabric

-3 gusset pieces, 1 of each material

- 3 strap pieces, 2 of the main fabric, 1 of interfacing

Okay, now we get down to business.  First, sew the zipper. I'm sure there are million ways to do this, but this is the best way I've figured out. Plus, it looks good in the end.

Place your zipper panels right-side together. Mark the length of your zipper in the middle of the fabric. Now sew down the middle of the fabric, but here's the tricky part! Sew the edge up to the beginning of your zipper length (this is why you marked it) using a regular stitch-length (I use "3" on my Singer). Then backtack a little, and change your stitch length to the longest length! Now baste until the end of your zipper length. NOW, start sewing with your regular stitch length again, backtack at the beginning to reinforce, and then sew to the end. WHEW!

Now press the seams right-side out so you have the two pieces of fabric pressed outwards with the seam running down the middle. Place the zipper WRONG SIDE UP on top of your seam. Make sure the zipper teeth line up with your seam. Then, carefully sew on both sides of the zipper

Now very carefully rip out ONLY the center part of your seam (the basted part) to reveal the zipper.

Now onto the rest of the bag.

Before doing anything else, go iron your fusible fleece onto the WRONG side of all your main fabric pieces.

Now attach the zipper to the main body pieces. I use tinafish's method, and she explains it so well I'm just going to refer you to her tutorial. http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=35575.0  She sews her zipper slightly differently, but it shouldn't make much difference. The benefit of doing the zipper my way is that you end up with a nice flap covering the zipper, so it looks almost invisible.

OK, once you've attached the main body pieces, you need to sew on the gusset. Do one side at a time. Make sure you've opened your zipper --  this will be important once you sew your lining gusset.

Do the same with your lining, but leave a 2 to 3 inch gap in your sewing! You'll need this to turn the bag out.

Now turn the bag right-side out. Your bag should look nearly done!

You'll have raw edges where the straps are going to attach. Fold those over and insert the rings. Now push the ends into the hole left betweeen the zipper and main body of the bag. Next time I make one, I'll photograph this step - it's kind of confusing.

Now turn the bag inside out again, but make sure to keep the rings in place. Once the bag's inside out, you should be able so sew a seam and lock the rings in place.

Okay, turn the bag back right-side out and top-stitch closed the gap in your lining.  Now it's time for the strap. Just sew the two strap pieces (with the interfacing already attached to one side) together down two sides. Turn right-side out, and press the raw edges under. Loop through your bamboo hoops and sew them on. I highly recommend doing 2 rows of stitching, as this spot can wear out quickly.

I hope this tute helps! I'm going to try and take pictures while I make my next bag, but I thought I'd at least get this tute going now.  (Plus, I'm at work and have nothing better to do.)

I know I wouldn't have been able to make my bags without all the great craftsters posting tutes every day, so I love to give back.

I'd love to see any bags that come out of this tutorial! Sorry it's so long! I hope you make some kick you-know-what bags.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011 09:54:44 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

2lilrugrats
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006 11:50:39 AM »

I am SOOOOOO impressed with your tutorial. I love your color coding and it looks very easy to follow. I am printing it out at this very moment. Thanks again! You are wonderful!!! =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What's wrong with tivo-ing knitting shows??
Margarita Miss

cuervo on the rocks ... salted rim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006 12:50:32 PM »

Not only do you write plays, you also write great tutorials!  Thanks, I loved the circle & striped purse when you first posted it a couple of weeks ago so I'm looking forward to making a similar bag one day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

seeingstars
Star-crossed lovers!

~*~*seeingstars*~*~

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006 12:29:33 PM »

wow!! thats a great tutorial!! im replying to bump it up the forum so that other people can benefit from it. the only part im having trouble with are the handles....bit confused. beside si dont hav bambooi rings! could you possibly maybe purty please say how you would do it with just normal handles? i ALWAYS have a problem zippers and handles together. god knows why.
thanks for a great tutorial!
seeingstarsxx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://world3.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=38041565
pls press this people, it won't do you any harm but helps me! jus go back once you have, thanks!! xxxx
iwriteplays
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006 01:28:38 PM »

Okay, until I make another one and take pictures in the process, this is about the best I can do for a visual:

So, what happens when you sew your pieces together is that you end up with a hole between the zipper and gusset. This is where you stick whatever type of strap (or hardware) you want to use. Basically, if you want to just make it with a normal strap, you'd make your strap (e.g. sew two pieces right-side together down the length of each side, and turn it inside out) and just stick in in the hole.  You fold the remaining gusset and zipper "flaps" inwards, and then stick the strap in how you want it.  Now for the sewing. You COULD just topstitch the whole deal together, which would be easy enough. But the way I do it is I turn the bag back inside out while holding the strap in place in the "hole". Then I sew it together on the inside of the bag (between the lining and outer pieces). That way you can't see any stitching.

Did that make any more sense?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jobrien

I love the smell of baby powder

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006 04:28:25 PM »

EXCELLENT TUTORIAL!!  I can't wait to make my own bag! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jeannie
the friendly sewing lady
Lesa25
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006 04:53:23 PM »

Cute.  also thanks I had to come that down so I can do one:) great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~~Lesa AKA Lesalicious~~~

My Blog, I crochet and sew
http://lesalicious.blogspot.com/
Awesome Monkey
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008 12:10:37 PM »

thank you so much for this tutorial, i finally had some time to make one during my spring break. i really like how it turned out =]
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=236257.msg2589217#msg2589217
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Basic Important Tools for an Artist
How to Set Up an Artist Studio
How to Add Detail to a Drawing
How to Add Texture to Drawings
How to Draw a Basic Two-Point Perspective
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...