A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,205
Currently Running With Scissors:
446 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ms. Marigold  (Read 17836 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

uknowuluvit

hi =] I'm Deb.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2006 05:37:57 AM »

ARRRRGHHH the link for ms. marigold isnt working at the moment. can someone please c&p that paragraph about the guage/yarn used? i know its on that link.. thx Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kimidawn24
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2006 06:53:15 AM »

3(3,4,4,5,6) skeins of Knit Picks Elegance (70% baby alpaca, 30% silk- 50 grams/110 yds)
size US 5 (3.75mm) 32" circulars
size US 3 (3.25mm) 32" circulars
gague: 20 stitches and 28 rows= 4" on size US 5 3.75mm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kimidawn24
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2006 08:00:35 AM »

Okay, so after I posted that bit about gauge, I figured I'd better check my gauge.  I've never really made anything that required perfect gague, and I've never (gasp!) done a gauge swatch.
Shit.
20 stitches and 28 rows is supposed to equal 4" on US 5 needles.
I am using the exact yarn this calls for and US 5 needles, but when I count 20 stitches and 28 rows, I only get 3".  Can my gauge REALLY be off that much?  An ENTIRE inch? Huh
Moreover, can my marigold be saved?  I'm pretty far into it and would just die if I had to start over.  I've tried it on and it *fits* but it doesn't go as far across my back as the girl in the pattern pic.  Could I possibly make the ribbing on the edges longer than an inch to compensate?  Is this something that possibly could be remedied by stretching the hell out of the thing while blocking?
How have you guys done with your gauge?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

uknowuluvit

hi =] I'm Deb.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2006 04:41:12 AM »

do u guys think that sugar and cream or whatever its called would work for this? ive got a lot of that lyin around..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gloriana
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2006 10:50:55 AM »

My gauge was spot-on in terms of stitches, but it was bigger in terms of rows (I used Berroco Touche).  Also, I don't know if a lot of you are having this problem, but I needed more yarn than was stipulated in the pattern.  For the size medium, they list 4 balls of Elegance @ 110 yards each, which equals 440 yds.  I used 6 skeins of Touche, which comes out to 534 yds.  And I actually could have used a bit more - but didn't want to buy another skein.  Just a heads-up for y'all.

In answer to the previous question about the armholes - here's what I did:  I started the first row of single crochet at the right bound-off edge of the sleeve cap, did two complete rounds of SC, and then was at the right place to begin the ruffle, so I just did the ruffle from there.  You'll be able to see where the bound-off edge begins and ends because it's contained between the increases.  I hope that makes sense.

I'll post photos of my finished top soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my knitblog - A Mingled Yarn
http://amingledyarn.wordpress.com
KnittenChicken
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2006 10:04:31 AM »

I CO over the weekend- this will be my first project for myself.  I've knit a ton for my son and daughter, but I shy away from adult sizes because I like instant gratification.  Grin

I'm using Louisa Harding Kashmir Aran (55% merino, 35% microfiber, 10% cashmere).  It's super soft- I think about $8 a ball plus my LYS was having a 25% off sale.  It's a worsted weight yarn and I got my gauge using size 8s. I don't even knit loosely- I think the size 5 needle seems tiny for the average knitter!

I bought almost 500 yards, hopefully that will be enough!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knitticle

staring at the sun

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2006 04:44:44 PM »

I have 4 skeins of Frog Tree Pima Silk in a pretty awesome coral color (my current fave) and am going to CO for Ms. Marigold tonight. After a few different gauge swatches, I've found that even though the gauge is off with size 5s, the fabric with any needle larger doesn't look very nice, so I'm going to cast on for a larger size and hope for the best. *crosses fingers* I'm a little worried about running out of yarn after reading about other people's experiences with this pattern (I knew 330 yds for a sweater was too good to be true!) because I bought this on vacation and probably won't be able to get the same dyelot if I need more. Hopefully 620 yds is enough...maybe I need to sacrifice some of my stash to the yarn gods in exchange for smooth sailing  Grin 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

because, you see, the internet is made up of a series of tubes...
knitticle
lillybeth
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2006 10:45:26 PM »

My first kal!  I'm so excited and love this project so much. 

I am using Debbie Bliss - Cathay in red on size 5 circulars.  I have to buy more yarn to finish the neck and arms.  So far so good. Cheesy 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gloriana
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2006 07:00:46 AM »

here's my finished Marigold -

more photos and notes at my blog (link below).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my knitblog - A Mingled Yarn
http://amingledyarn.wordpress.com
Kimidawn24
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2006 07:57:09 AM »

Looks Great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Lazy Wave Chevron Part 3/5
How to Crochet a Lazy Wave Chevron Part 4/5
How to Crochet a Jumbo Catherine Wheel Stitch Part 8/10
How to Crochet a Jumbo Catherine Wheel Stitch Part 9/10
How to Crochet a Lazy Wave Chevron Part 5/5
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...