A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
418 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What to do with a bag of Lana d'oro?  (Read 932 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« on: July 19, 2004 07:34:33 AM »

Ok, so when WEBS was having a sale I bought a bag (10 skeins) of Lana D'Oro in a pretty purple color.  This is fabulous yarn.  It's a 50% superfine alpaca 50% merino wool blend, sooooo soft and warm.  110yards/skein (so I have 1100 yds) 5sts/1" on #7s. 

I've already started and frogged 2 sweaters with this yarn.  The first one I didn't check gauge (yeah, I know, stupid me).  And the second one involved lace, which I am apparently too stupid to do.  I have never sworn so much while constructing a measly 3" of knitting! 

Anyway, any pattern suggestions?  I would have loved to have done knitty's BPT, but it requires 1350 yards.  WEBS doesn't even have this color anymore so I can't get more.  Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starlings
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2004 09:04:25 AM »

What about Sitcom Chic?  The gauge is pretty close, only 1/2 stitch off per inch.  With a yarn like yours I'd go up a size rather than knitting it on larger needles, otherwise it might be too drapey.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wordie
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2004 09:56:10 AM »

i've been having the same problems--all this beautiful yarn, but what to make? yesterday i started knitty's  boogie vest http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring04/PATTboogie.html with the yarn doubled. i got close to gauge, and it really feels wonderful, all warm and squishy and wintery. i was slightly worried that if i tried a full-length sweater, i would run out of yarn right before i finished, and then i would have to jump out the window.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melidomi

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2004 10:02:23 AM »

Are you using the lana d'oro?  will you let me know when you finish, and how it turns out?  I'm intrigued!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
greenchick

Enough to make a pearl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2004 11:45:41 AM »

What weight is it? I am kind of addicted to the Jessica Simpson shawl from "Newlyweds". Granted it is a crochet pattern, but if I can teach myself to crochet in a night, anyone can. http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=9195.0 is the link for pictures of the pattern. It really is a lovely project, but it called for worsted weight and it is way to heavy. I used it over the weekend when I was in London and it worked like a charm as far as the extra warmth.

Speaking of London, I did pick up R2 and the Rowan mini-book with the men's knit named after famous rockers, both for under $18 American. I thought it was a great deal, but couldn't find any yarn to speak of. Hopefully, my sister and I will have better luck in NYC this weekend.

Jill
THIS ROCKS   Logged

melidomi

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2004 12:09:21 PM »

It's a slightly thin worsted weight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gerbera

too much craft, not enough time.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2004 07:08:10 PM »

I did the SnB under the hoodie with my lovely purple lana d'oro.  I love it.  But I had other colours (little red stripe and big orange stripe and sleeves).  so you would need a bit more than a bag.....  I think I used 14 or 15...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 16/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 15/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 14/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 13/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 12/35
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...