A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,578
Currently Running With Scissors:
774 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Farewell Present-Camp Councelling  (Read 566 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bluebubble
« on: May 17, 2006 07:21:58 AM »

My boyfriend is going to america in a couple of weeks to do camp councelling. He will be gone for three months. I want to make him a really great and meaningful farewell present. I made him a tiny knitted teddy bear, but i can't think of any other ideas! Also i need ideas of what to send in care packages while he is over there. Any help would be great!! Thanks!!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bluebubble
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006 01:58:13 AM »

Thanks for the ideas. They are all great, specially the writing kit. I will definately be doing that. So far i have made him this little teddy bear.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2011 11:15:20 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Linnybelle
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006 11:37:45 AM »

As a camp councelor myself, I thought I'd chime in.  I don't know if you've already got enough ideas.. feel free to ignore mine.

If his camp is anything like mine, the counselors switch cabins every week, so whatever is sent should be small and easily packed.  Sunblock (I know it's already been mentioned) is a wonderful idea, hand sanitizer is good too.  Small candy is good too.  I always like getting letters.  I don't know if you can send bubbles through the mail, but those are good for keeping really little kids occupied.  Maybe some small book related to camp, I've gotten my friends at camp little inspirational books to help them through a hard week. Disposable cameras are nice. Pens and pencils are good.  Nuts, or trail mix, if he likes that. 
My roommate always sends me a care package that includes all sorts of things representing our inside jokes and that always makes my day. 

That's all I can come up with. I hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for postcards from anywhere to use for RSVP cards for my 8/2012 wedding.  Have 80/200.
mjadams
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006 11:41:27 AM »

hi!
  If you have a camera, you should go around town and take pictures of your and his favorite places:) You can make a mini photo album for them! or send some tape/tacks so he can display them in his cabin. also, cadburry candy! They dont sell the real stuff here in the usa.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

what the fred savage is going on with you?
craft_t_chic
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006 10:56:35 AM »

Also, little brain teasers/tiny card games...stuff like that would be great for care packages. I work with kids, and I ALWAYS have something small I can pull out of my bag to occupy them with in a moment of down time, or if they are sick/hurt, etc.

Maybe a little journal so he can keep track of camp memories. When I go to camp, I try to write a little every night so I can remember. It's nice to have a small journal so I can keep it in my backpack.

PS...that bear is soo cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want your promo stickers...your fave local band, your etsy shop, your zine, a sticker you picked off a bar wall, or even bumper stickers! I'm covering a table & need stickers! PM me!

http://www.wists.com/craft_t_chic

Free gift with every purchase!
www.crafttchic.etsy .com
McJulie-O
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006 05:41:07 PM »

Each of my kids (2 boys-1 girl) spent summers as counselors at a camp in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado at 9300 feet elevation. They couldn't live without hats, lip balm (VERY dry at that altitude), and sunscreen. Disposable cameras are handy, and bandannas.

Food is a little problematic as ground squirrels and other varmints can destroy an unguarded backpack in a matter of moments trying to get to treats. Please no fruit or nut scented soap, shampoo, or lotion, you don't want to attract bears! If your guy is a fisherman you might tuck in a few lures that promise success.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
mint
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006 05:34:17 PM »

yeah at all the camps were I went we weren't allowed to have outside food... so you might want to check on that. I've never had any problems taking food outside or back into america but I would stick with chips and candy in sealed packages. You could get him a calling card so he can call back home when he's lonely. I know when I went to europe I was always glad when I got a phone call from home.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cotneyroo
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006 05:47:19 PM »

Once you know what the camp rules are regarding food etc., care packages full of things he won't be able to get in the States will be great. Even things that seem like they should be the same (eg Extra gum in the US and the UK are VERY different!), aren't, sometimes. mjadams is right on the money about US cadbury's not being the same.

Little aussie things (tiny koalas?) he can give away to friends and campers will be great too. I never think to pack that sort of thing and then regret it later, so that's a great care package inclusion.  So are extra pairs of socks. Never enough socks.

But the key element of care packages are letters-- when I was a camp counselor it was quantity over quality! for some reason even dumb "today I did this and then this and then this" letters were better to get than the longer, heartfelt variety. I don't know why--probably because camp can seem really isolated sometimes, and any reminders of the outside world (no matter how seemingly boring) can be really reassuring.

Send him off with a good picture of the two of you, ideally in a frame that can either withstand damage, or can be left behind (the frame, not the pic!) if it gets too trashed. Camp is hard on stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use a Layer Mask in Photoshop
Rooftopping Is Latest Photo Craze
How to Color Correct Photos in Camera Raw
On Vs. Off Camera Flash
How to Build a Home Studio
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...