A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
634 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Purse closure Opinions Please  (Read 1541 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kmsmaverick
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2006 07:52:26 AM »

one of my favorite closures i ripped off a target design. the bag was a basic bucket tote, but there were braided cords to tie at the center of the opening. i incorporated a ribbon type of tie along the same idea.

i like this closure, because it's a bit more secure, but it also is part of the design.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KatintheCappello
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2006 06:06:35 AM »

that's the kind of closure's I do on my bags too, only I crochet the cords or use satin ribbon.  It's easy, inexpensive and it looks super cute. Most of my totes though, do not have closures and people like them that way!

Magnetic snaps though, by the way, are the coolest thing EVER.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Katarina's Closet - Custom Crochet and Craft shop
kmsmaverick
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2006 07:00:17 AM »

i dig the magnetic snaps too. i was intimidated by them, then i gave it a go and it was so easy i was embarrased. they really are easy. they make a bag look super professional too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2006 07:14:39 AM »

You could include an optional flap or strip; for example, sew a strip of material and attach it to either side of the bag with a secure snap on one side and a looser magnetic snap on the other side; if the snaps and things are just on the inside, it won't affect the look of the outside of the bag. My issue with open bags is that if it falls over, all my stuff comes tumbling out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkyK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2006 04:51:27 PM »

kmsmaverick was right!  I added my first magnetic closure to a bag over the weekend and it was SOOOO easy! The ONLY problem I had was I put it a bit too close to the top and now the stitching is beginning to come out where I sewed the lining to the outside. On my next one I'll put the magnetic closure a bit lower.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Iz
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2006 05:00:49 PM »

As an urban dweller and a daily public-transports user, I have to say that the most important is not the type of closure but how secure it is. An easy-to-glide zipper will make me feel way less safe than a purse with one strategically placed snap and a flap to cover it. Also, I absolutely avoid magnetic clasps because they de-magnetize my bus/metro pass, which is quite inconvenient...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kmsmaverick
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2006 04:58:15 AM »

really? that's too bad about the T pass. i don't remember having that difficulty. i used to keep my T pass on my key chain though so it was usually in an outside velcro pocket. that could be why.  I wonder if they mess up credit cards?  but that's true about security; form after function and all that.

most of the decorative closures probably wouldn't pass a public transit test, though i don't know if i'd take my commuting messenger bag on a first date either. hee hee hee.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meanbean
Naughty, with a pinch of Nice for a good bite

The Means To Hold Your Beans

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2006 08:15:16 AM »

the magnetic snaps that I have aren't supposed to de-magnetize anything, but who knows?  The bags I'm making for this fair aren't really commuter bags (I make those too, these are more of the "purse" variety), and probably wouldn't work well for that. 

Thanks for all the thoughts and suggestions, everyone!  I'm so excited...only three weeks away! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meanbean
Naughty, with a pinch of Nice for a good bite

The Means To Hold Your Beans

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2006 03:43:52 PM »

Okay - another question for you seasoned, constructivly-critical craftsters !!! Smiley

I'm currently planning to have 10-20 of each of these styles (each in different fabric combos)

I'm thinking of adding 5-10 each of these two styles to add a little more variety (the first is a plain tote, the second is a messenger) - would I be going overboard?  This is my first craft fair, and I'd really like to attract a variety of customers, and I have  feeling if I add these that will help.

Again, I humbly submit myself to your thoughts, witticisms, criticisms, and random other words Smiley
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009 11:46:30 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkyK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2006 07:10:29 PM »

I REALLY like all the pockets in the last one! A place for pens, little note pad, my iPOD, cell phone, and maybe even Palm Pilot! So many things could beep at me from my purse at once and I could find them all quickly and efficiently! Actually, I REALLY just need the Batman utility belt but it would just make me look "hippy" and just wouldn't be very fashionable now would it!?  Wink

I like the orange circle pattern in the lining on one of them too. I'm all about sleek on the outside and covert coolness on the inside!  Bags are more versatile that way. Plus it is like a pleasant surprise everytime you open your bag!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Fishtail Updo
How to Do a French Braided Headband- Part 2
How to Do a French Braided Headband -Part 1
How to Do a French Braid
How to Do a Braided Updo With a Big Bow
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...