A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,520
Currently Running With Scissors:
662 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Moving to Phoenix  (Read 9876 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tinafish
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2004 01:37:10 PM »

i must honestly have a blue thumb because i can barely keep the grass on my lawn green (yes you heard right...i actually have a lawn  Cheesy) it's a little yellow, but it's better than the "rock landscape." good luck with your plants..you should be fine. with enough watering (make sure it's when the sun's not out boiling your plant alive) they should do well.  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 30, 2004 04:00:56 AM by tinafish » THIS ROCKS   Logged

aeroplane
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2004 12:45:45 AM »

yep.  i killed the grass at my last house too.  unless you have irragation, it's really too much trouble.  the xeriscape at my new house was definatly an incentive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
oldladygrady

i am a lineman for the county...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2004 12:45:18 PM »

You may already have found out about it by now, but Fiber Factory is my favorite LYS.  It's got a nice friendly atmosphere and tons of knttiing, crocheting, and spinning supplies.  It's a little more expensive than your run o' the mill Michael's or Joann's, but I'm willing to pay a little extra for an independently owned small business.  Unfortunately, I don't have a car either, (or fortunately, I should say.  I'm proud not be a polluter and you should be too.), so I have to make the long trek from Tempe to Downtown Mesa, by car or bicycle.   But have no fear, they're putting in a light rail soon and travel will be me much more convenient. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If a woman who sleeps with other women is smashing patriarchy, then a woman who sleeps with whomever she wants is just plain anarchy."
                                                          -Unknown

http://www.crumbsandcompany.blogspot.com/
SewPixie
FOC Bandit #12

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2004 11:50:15 PM »

Hey BebbyCat I'm in Chandler too.  Grin

I would think you could get a garden growing here. I'd like a little veggie patch myself when we get our back yard fixed up (yes the front is rock but I want at least SOME some grass in the back...I miss lawns). I know a neighbor has some stuff growing becuase she gave us watermelons the frist year we lived in the house.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

.:See profile for blog & Flickr info!:.
BeppyCat
I've never licked a spark plug.

www.beppycat.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2004 09:00:10 AM »

Thanks guys for the advice about growing stuff.  I'll have to see if I can find any books at the library about gardening in the southwest.

We're here now and all moved in, though not completely unpacked.  I've still got to do all the books and all my sewing room stuff before I can consider myself unpacked enough.  The rest is Christmas stuff and it can stay there until then.   Grin

I think I may be adjusting to the heat, but then again, it's not as hot now as it was the last time we were here.  I love having a pool, and I think I even know how to take care of it now.

I went into the Craftmart yesterday to look for a screenprinting kit, and to sorta scope them out.  They didn't have any of the kits, which I thought was odd, but I did decide that I really want to work there.  Their yarn selection is super good.  Almost yarn store good.

Oldladygrady, You're right, I'm pretty proud that I'm not the type of person to use the car to run out for milk at the store on the corner.  But it would be nice not to be so scared of traffic so that I could drive myself into Scottsdale or whatever.  I almost failed driver's training, and I've never been a very good driver, so I just don't trust myself on these expressways and such.  Anyway, our house is practically next to tons of businesses, including Craftmart, so it's convienent to use my bike and not far to ride at all.  It's good to get lots of use out of my bike, it's a fancy-schmancy cruiser and that's what I bought it for.

SewPixie, I'd love to grow watermelons, thanks for the hope!  I have a little grass in my backyard, and it was yellow and crunchy by the time we moved in, but I'm watering it a little every night and I think it's coming back.

The other night there was a tiny-very-fast-moving lizard in my kitchen!  I love nature and all, but my kitchen!  I made Ben take it outside for me.  There's also a huge nasty looking beetle-type bug living in the pool.  It's always on the tile on the side of the pool or floating around on that clorine releaser thing like it's a raft.  I think the chemicals are going to turn it huge and one day it'll knock on the door and ask me to bring it a sandwich.  It's got wavy antenna and grosses me out.

Okay, that's enough of me raving about the wildlife.  I just gross out easily.   Smiley

Thanks all you guys for talking to me about all this stuff, it's made it easier to move here knowing I can look to Craftsters for advice on the area and stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And I don't look good in leggings.

http://beppycat.blogspot.com/
Lurkers and commentors welcome.
Lots of crocheting and sewing and knitting!  Pretty much my life for your consumption.
SewPixie
FOC Bandit #12

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2004 01:17:11 PM »

Don't feel bad about not liking the traffic much. I didn't even get my license until last Fall and I'm 28! I'm terrified to drive and carpool or take the bus/walk.  Sad  I went out on my own once further than a mile and wound up bumping a gas pump. No more manual transmission for me thankyouverymuch.

The bus system isn't super great in Chandler but not too shabby and it's great in Tempe and such so if you don't mind the time it takes and don't want to drive I'd check out the bus schedules online. I often use my bus time as craft time. And they have bike racks on the front.

Maybe this winter you can knit the bug out back a little sweater. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.:See profile for blog & Flickr info!:.
oldladygrady

i am a lineman for the county...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2004 05:34:04 PM »

I've got a fancy shmancy cruiser too.  It even has a bell that says "i love my bike" on it.  Now, I just have to figure out how to ship it to Rochester.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If a woman who sleeps with other women is smashing patriarchy, then a woman who sleeps with whomever she wants is just plain anarchy."
                                                          -Unknown

http://www.crumbsandcompany.blogspot.com/
booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2004 04:13:36 PM »

Hey beppy, I am in the Phoenix College Program for the time being.  It is great.  Make sure you take a class with Galena.  She is AMAZING!!!!  And welcome to Phoenix!

Boo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rickrackruby
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2004 12:21:15 PM »

Okay, I realize that this is kind of an old thread, but what's the latest Beppycat?  Are you moved in?  I live in Scottsdale - I hope you can see that it's not hot here all year!  Take care!

Sincerely,
Laura K
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BeppyCat
I've never licked a spark plug.

www.beppycat.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2004 06:05:56 PM »

Boo, thanks for the advice, I'd love to get to take some classes, I'm working out plans for the fall, I think.

Rickrackruby, thanks for asking!  Things are well with me and my husband.  I've gotten everything unpacked and my sewing room is set up all neat and clean.  I haven't gotten into any sewing projects yet because I've been crocheting like crazy for Christmas presents. 

I've gotten a job in the framing section of the Craftmart, and I like it a lot, though I'm trying to get to my ultimate goal of teaching craft classes instead.  I'm thinking of teaching a tatting class there after the new year.  I need to find out if there'd be enough interest in tatting for them to want to have a class on it.  I'd really like to teach because my new work schedule seems to encroach on my crafting, not to mention the dishes are never done now, lol.

I'm liking the weather now, but I think I'll miss the snow a little for Christmas time.  Oh well, I'll get to go to MI and visit the bad weather for two weeks in December.  I'm really looking forward to that, as I've been kind of homesick in the last couple of weeks.

Anyway, I'm settling in here I guess, and I'm really appreciative of the advice and support all you guys have given me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And I don't look good in leggings.

http://beppycat.blogspot.com/
Lurkers and commentors welcome.
Lots of crocheting and sewing and knitting!  Pretty much my life for your consumption.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Natural Volume Hairstyle Makeover
Funky Hairstyle and Night Evening Makeup Makeover
Bob Hairstyle and Smokey Eyes Makeover
Sweeping Fringe Makeover
Sun-kissed Style Hair Makeover
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...