A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,570
Currently Running With Scissors:
583 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: lightening scars...  (Read 3869 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Juliya

You may say I'm a dreamer...

View Profile WWW
« on: July 18, 2004 02:33:06 PM »

okay. heres whats going down. i have scars on my hips and lower stomach -reasons i care not to explain  Sad- ...and one of them is right where i planned on getting a tattoo. they arent raised tattoos, but the skin is darker than the rest (i'm very pale) ...and i suppose i could tattoo over it. but if my mother -whom is taking me to get it done- sees the scars ill be in quite a bit of trouble.
but anyways. any ideas on how to go about lightening them? much appreciation. chao..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

squee.
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2004 02:58:31 PM »

vitamin E oil is supposed to help - you can buy the gel caps and just poke a hole in them and squeeze some out.  rub it in several times a day

there's a product called mederma and also neosporin makes some kind of scar lightening thing. 

I don't think any of these work very fast though.  We're talking months for a noticeable difference, and it may never go totally away.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shes crafty
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2004 07:16:18 PM »

I use vitamin E oil on my scars.  I had a pretty bad one on my arm and it is almost completely gone.  I'm probably the only one who even knows it's there.  It has taken a long time to go away, though.  You can get the gel caps like melidomi suggested or it comes in bottles.  I've gotten a very thick kind and a very liquidy kind.  For staying power I would recommend the thick one.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meexie
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2004 07:28:00 PM »

Massage can help too.  If you can't go to a physical therapist for friction massage, you can try working on the scars yourself - press down with your fingers and rub back and forth in the direction of the muscle fibers (get your hands on an anatomy book to see).  The scars won't disappear, but the appearance can be reduced and the skin will have more flexibility (the scarring process pulls the skin tighter around the area, which can make it look kinda puckered).  Like the vitamin E, this will take a lot of persistence and a long time. 

The only guaranteed method I know of making scars disappear is plastic surgery.  You may have to suck it up and explain the scars to your mother if you want tattoos there - BUT getting tattoos there might not be an option either; a really good tattoo artist can look at the scars and tell you if the tattooing will look good or not.  Scar tissue isn't like the rest of your skin and can behave differently, which means that a tattoo could make them even more obvious. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
silencepainter
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2004 02:30:28 PM »

In my experience while some things can help with scar visibility, no matter what you do lightening of scars takes time.  And the best time to work on perventing/lightening scars is when the cut that caused them is healing.  Anything that is good for your skin should help the scar lighten, vitamins, drinking lots of water, etc.

Other than that I have a few suggestions for you.  None of which are how to lighten the scars, but on how to handle the situation.

1) You are going to have to check with the tattoo artist, and make sure that it will be fine to tattoo over it.  From your discription it sounds like it will be, but you still need to have it checked out, because even if its flat there could be tattoo-ing complications.

2) Remember your mother doesn't have to take you to get the tattoo, unless of course you are underaged.  If she does insist on taking you, or you need her there, she does NOT have to come into the actual room where the tattoo will be done.

And just for saftey sake, because I can't help it.  Please do be safe, and pick where you go carefuly.  Go ahead and ask the annoying questions about the shops sanitation procedures, and the artists qualifications.  If something doesn't seem right, go ahead and walk out.  There is nothing wrong with doing so.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Juliya

You may say I'm a dreamer...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2004 09:14:53 PM »

thanks you guys... im gona try the vitamin e. i could kick myself for not remembering that...

and to silence painter:

im going to talk to the guy soon... before i get the tattoo done..
i'm only 14, so yes she -unfortunately- has to come...blech. i hate my age...
and the guy im going to is a family friend.. hes tattooed my dad, mom, uncle.. and a bunch of my moms friends. its a nice, clean place... very professional.

you seem to know your stuff... do you have any ink?  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

squee.
Goddess
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2004 09:20:56 PM »

when are you planning on having this done? no scar treatment is going to act quickly, so you may be in for months of prep to reduce your scar's appearance. Maybe think of relocating your tattoo, or wait until you are a bit older to get it, so mom doesn't have to come with?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
silencepainter
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2004 08:46:13 AM »

you seem to know your stuff... do you have any ink?  Grin

Nope no ink.  Mostly because of lack of cash flow, and lack of decisiveness.  I have a friend that just loves tattoos and piercings though, and I developed the habbit of making friends with local artists in the area and hanging around them.  They can be quite amusing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AutuMn NicOle
Hi

I'm a guinea pig! Wheek!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2004 10:01:40 PM »

I have a scar, right smack dab in the middle of my fourhead!!!! ( and its a straight line.) I used vitamin E (gel tabs too) and it seemed to lessen it some, but it didn't make it disappear! Its been a couple years and you can only see it when I scrunch up my nose.

Good luck!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hillarybillary
your a pansy I'm a cowboy....

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2004 11:34:05 AM »

scar tissue tattoos hurt more than regular tattoos. I got a tattoo on my back and part of it was over a scar and I was warned that, that part was going to hurt more and man did it. when he got to that part...i fainted..... but on lightening scars i used mederma.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chris Matthews on Politics and His Book Tip and the Gipper
Debora Spar LIVE
Top 10 Romeo and Juliet Trivia
Courtney Thorne Smith on the New Atkins Made Easy
Greg Sestero on The Disaster Artist: My Life Inside The Room
Latest Blog Articles
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...