A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 304,765
Currently Running With Scissors:
605 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: my first socks.  (Read 3224 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

girlypirate
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

my arms are too short to box with God.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 18, 2004 02:01:04 PM »

ok, so in eleven years of knitting you'd think i'd have done at least one pair.  i realized that i hadn't one day at the LYS.  i bought a skein of opal rainbow variegated sock yarn.  when got home and i read the label i saw i'd need two skeins.  pretty expensive socks.  so i bought a skein of cheap bernat hot sox too and made one sock out of that and striped the other one.  so essentially one sock is acrylic and the other is about 70% wool.  whatever.  here they be, and i'd love to see anyone else's successes at socks.
http://tinypic.com/u4co
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011 10:33:28 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
killerdaisy
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2004 08:16:08 PM »

yours are fabulous!

after attempting dpns for the first time recently, i've been *dying* to make socks. seeing yours makes me want them even more!

*must get to not so local yarn shop soon*

THIS ROCKS   Logged
VaxGirl
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2004 04:59:34 PM »

I think they are adorable and don't even look like different yarn.  I got the sock bug about 6 months ago.  I have to tell you, Opal is one of the most expensive!  Lion Brand Magic Stripe is a great less costly alternative.  They have some really cool stripes and jacquards.  One skein runs about $6.00 to $8.00 and makes a pair.  Most Joann's carry it.

One more tip, it's much easier to make socks using the "socks on two circulars" method, rather than DPNs.  I was always getting stabbed by them, but the 2 circs makes knitting socks a breeze.  There is a book youn can buy, which is great, but here is a great tutorial and it's free. www.az.com/~andrade/knit/twocirculars.html

Here are some of mine, the ones on the far left are my first.  Can you tell I'm addicted?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
girlypirate

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2004 05:46:04 PM »

wow.  you are quite a sock knitter.  i really loved the opal's feel, which is why i bought it, and the color repeat is a lot longer, so when i knit with it it actually looked more like a rainbow on the sock. that's a good tip about the 2 circs, but i actually love knitting with dpns.  call me crazy, but i'll knit hats on dpns without ever using a circular because i enjoy them.  i guess we all have our quirks.  like my friend meghan who actually prefers purling. (she really is crazy.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meg_2216
Princess Megan Elizabeth Goulet Of The United States Of America

Shakira's concert was my first ever!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2004 05:53:34 PM »

hey! im learning how to knit, and i think its really fun. my grandma came out to visit me (i live in iowa, she lives in ohio). and shes gonna take me back with her b/c all my other family members live in the same town as her. but, ya, she knows how to crochet and knit, and since its like a 10 hours drive (without stopping) and her and my grandpa drove a truck out here (it has no backseat), its gonna be something fun to do. well, if u have any tips, or tricks, email me at meg_2216@hotmail.com. luv ya, megan  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Library Fairy

Possum of the Grotto

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2004 07:35:36 PM »

I've really only been knitting since this past winter (when I asked my mom to re-teach me how to knit  Roll Eyes) And I just completed my first pair of socks a couple weeks ago. Yay!

I don't remember what brand of yarn I used-- it was some random skein I picked up at walmart. I used almost all of the skein, used DPNs, and was using bits and pieces of three different sets of instructions that I found online (some parts, especially the heel, wouldn't add up right. when that happened, I would just find a set of instructions that made more sense). 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
girlypirate

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2004 06:15:05 AM »

i had the exact same problem on my first sock when i turned the heel because the instructions i used were for five needles instead of four.  so i switched patterns and then switched back for the foot.  yay for pattern-switchers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
roxycat
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2004 04:25:00 AM »

I was going to start a new thread to show off my socks but then I saw this one and thought WTH I'll just post em here! I just finished a pair of socks tonight for my boyfriend:

AKA THE LOVE SOCKS

And since you asked to check out other socks, I might as well post these socks... they were the first pair I knitted about a year ago:

For both pairs of socks I used this pattern. I love the feel of them on my feet (in the Winter) because they are so thick & cozy unlike store-bought socks!

I can totally relate to the "expensive socks" comment, though. I've found knitting to be quite an expensive hobby. And why the hell do they only give you enough yarn to make ONE sock?! What's up with that? Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

girlypirate

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2004 10:59:30 AM »

very nice socks.  mine too are boyfriend socks.  that's why the look so big on me in the photo.  i'm thinking of starting a new pair since i have about 3 skeins of hot pink fingering wool in my stash now.  we shall see.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
midnightsky1686
Midnightsky Fibers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2004 06:54:52 PM »

if you can get yarn on ebay (even just on skein of a color) you can jsut do stripes, and they dont have to match.  ebay also sometimes has bulk/lots sock yarn for sale, and elann.com has some good deals too.   i find that i can get a pair of socks out of a skein cause i knit a only a short amout of ribbig (and work from the toe up)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midnightsky Fibers
Naturally Dyed Textiles
Blog
Yarns and Fibers Handmade in the Pacific NW
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Wine And Beer Pairings For Your Summertime Grilling Fare
How to Make an Open-Faced Egg Breakfast Sandwich
How to Make the Ultimate Game-Day Dish: Buffalo Wing Hot Dogs
Authentic Barbecued Rib Recipes
How to Make BBQ Sauce and Coleslaw
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...