A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,945
Currently Running With Scissors:
501 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting magazine hunt  (Read 3631 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wenders28
« on: May 14, 2006 07:39:11 AM »

Does anyone know of a knitting magazine that is aimed at slightly younger knitters?? kind of like stitch n bitch but in magazine form. I've tried a few but they just seem to be aimed at older knitters.

any suggestions would be appreciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bftscgirl
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006 07:50:35 AM »

Have you taken a look at knit.1 magazine? It is geared towards the younger set and the yarn it recommends is Lion Brand. Which is easy to find and somewhat inexpensive, although that is the reason some knitter's don't like knit.1.

The new issue is due to be released this week sometime and here is the website

http://www.knit1mag.com/

Yes I know the fun fur monster on the cover is pretty awful, but people really love that stuff. I hope this helped.

Rae
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love of beauty is Taste. The creation of beauty is Art.                                     

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
wenders28
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006 08:03:22 AM »

it looks like the type of thing I'm looking for only i forgot to say I'm in sunny Scotland and they only subscribe to the  us and Canada.

thanks for your suggestion though it looks like a good magazine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bftscgirl
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006 09:03:08 AM »

Well in that case I really can not be much help, can I?  Maybe there is an online store that can ship it to you. I will have a look and see what I can find out.

Have you checked out Rebecca? I have not really seen this one, but I have heard people speak very highly of it.

http://www.rebecca-online.de/cont_en/anleitungen_02.php
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love of beauty is Taste. The creation of beauty is Art.                                     

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
wenders28
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006 10:27:12 AM »

That looks great

thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
princesscarwash
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006 12:24:05 PM »

i subscribe to simply knitting, which isn't eaxactly aimed at us younger folk but it has some fairly good patterns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ceedah
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006 02:59:27 PM »

I'm American, but I studied in Glasgow last semester and found a decent magazine or two while I was there.  I should see if I can dig them up.  If I do, I'll let you know which they were.  In any case, have you checked bookstores?  Some that I went to didn't have any knitting magazines, but some did.  I think, actually, that WH Smith was one of the places I found a good one, so you might try checking there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wenders28
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006 10:29:58 AM »

I live in Glasgow too!!

i got simply knitting from wh smiths but although some of the patterns are quite good theres not many good articles, although next month looks like it has a nice jacket to knit so i'll buy it again.

thanks for all your suggestions
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aurelia615
Rrriot Librrrarian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006 03:40:40 PM »

Interweave Knits is an okay magazine... its particularly young or trendy, but it is far from fuddy.  Don't know where they ship to though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Listen to me.  These people walk imaginary pets.  On a f***ing leash. And they're all heavily armed and drunk.  New York is boring.  I'll call you later."  -John Cusack in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
My blog: http://cabbageeatsyarn.blogspot.com
kristinmm
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006 06:56:50 PM »

I LOVE Rebecca and highly recommend it.  It's a bit pricey but I generally like most of the patterns in it so it's worth it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bryonyramsden
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2006 12:06:16 AM »

You can get Knit1 from http://www.tajyarns.co.uk/, along with quite a few other US publications.  They do a pretty good service, and I've had plenty of magazines from them Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am so boring I think people should be interested in me. 
www.bryonyramsden.co.uk/wp - Library Girl Knits
ysolda
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2006 04:40:41 AM »

If you're in Glasgow I would take a look in Borders. I'm planning on going there this evening to see if they carry any US knitting magazines. I have no idea whether they do, I just know that they have Bust and other things that you can't get very easily here. Rowan tried to bring out a magazine aimed at young people along with a range of yarns, but it only lasted 2 issues. The yarns sucked for the price, and the patterns, while sort of creative were very similar and not very interesting. They also recently published a booklet by an Edinburgh designer called pub knitting. To be honest it looks pretty dull to me, but you might want to take a look. I know John Lewis stock it.
I think we should bring out a cool Scottish knitting magazine. That would be ace.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting patterns and all sorts of  crafty adventures: http://ysolda.me.uk
ysolda
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2006 04:42:26 AM »

In fact that would be ace. Hmmm... I should publish a magazine.

(points out that I know nothing of what would be involved, except that it would be fun, haha)

Want to?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting patterns and all sorts of  crafty adventures: http://ysolda.me.uk
wenders28
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2006 10:38:23 AM »

That would be a great idea, i however don't know where to start either!! maybe somebody on here would have a few tips.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Low Ponytail from NY Fashion Week
How to Create a Bohemian Hairstyle from NY Fashion Week
Hair Tips: Using Old Socks As Rollers
Makeover: From a Simple Ponytail to Glamorous Waves
How to Make a Chignon
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...