A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,544
Currently Running With Scissors:
640 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: measurement request/ poll/ thingy  (Read 5958 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fyberduck
the quacking fiber addict

I reject your reality and substitute my own

View Profile WWW
« on: May 13, 2006 09:58:16 PM »

I'm working on designing a couple of fitted sweater patterns right now, and was wondering about sizing issues.  It just drives me crazy when patterns only come in 1 or 2 sizes, and I want to try and avoid that if I can.  I don't like the standard measurements in a lot of knitting mags, too, because they are usually in 4" increments (so fitted).

Anyway, I read the stats that the average woman's bra size is 38B, but am having trouble believing it.  Also, none of the bra sizes are really "standard".

If it doesn't make you uncomfortable would you be willing to post your measurements?  I.E. bust, under-bust, waist, hips, length from underarm to waist, etc.  The most important ones (right now) are the bust and under-bust measurements.

If you could fill out this to the best of your knowledge, that'd be great!  Thanks  Grin

Measurements:
Bust (at largest circumference):
Underbust (which'd actually be your bra size, easy one  Wink):
Waist (smallest circumference):
Underarm to waist:
Hips (largest circumference):
Underarm to elbow:
Circumference of upperarm:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the qfa:
unequivocally proving that knitting is not an intelligence test

Got a tape measurer?
ravenfire

Pink is my angry colour.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006 05:47:50 PM »

I would believe that the average woman's bra size is 38-B, considering the difficulty I have in finding clothing that fits properly. Having big boobs means that I have to go up to an X-Large to find anything that fits, and then I have enough room around my waist to make me feel like a bell. A friend of mine calls it the shoplifter's physique because of the sheer amount of stuff I could stash up there. ^_^
Anyway, I just measured myself for a new grappling rashguard yesterday, so I know these ones.

Bust Size: 43.5"
Underbust: 38"
Waist: 36"
Hips: 44"
Circumference of upper arm: 12.25"
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fyberduck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006 08:08:19 PM »

Thank you Cheesy

I would believe that the average woman's bra size is 38-B, considering the difficulty I have in finding clothing that fits properly. Having big boobs means that I have to go up to an X-Large to find anything that fits, and then I have enough room around my waist to make me feel like a bell. A friend of mine calls it the shoplifter's physique because of the sheer amount of stuff I could stash up there. ^_^

I guess you're right.  It seems like I'm only ever around pixies or venuses - the average is just between them, I guess.  It just annoys me that most patterns will start at 36 and end at 42.  I've had to adapt so many patterns for friends, it's such a pain.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with the sizing problem (or who'll admit to it) - I always feel like I must look pregnant or something, because I have to do the XL shirt thing too.  That, or the sleeves come to my knees  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the qfa:

Got a tape measurer?
SevsOnlyGirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006 08:24:07 PM »

Hmmm, I find it hard to believe that's the average bra size.  Most of my friends and family are bigger than that.  I'm one of the smallest ones and I wear a C cup!LOL

Here's mine:

Measurements:
Bust (at largest circumference):  39
Underbust (which'd actually be your bra size, easy one  ): 33 (NOT my bra size!)
Waist (smallest circumference):  32
Underarm to waist:  13
Hips (largest circumference): 44
Underarm to elbow: 7.5
Circumference of upperarm: 12
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ravenfire

Pink is my angry colour.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006 08:38:35 PM »

I guess you're right.  It seems like I'm only ever around pixies or venuses - the average is just between them, I guess.  It just annoys me that most patterns will start at 36 and end at 42.  I've had to adapt so many patterns for friends, it's such a pain.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with the sizing problem (or who'll admit to it) - I always feel like I must look pregnant or something, because I have to do the XL shirt thing too.  That, or the sleeves come to my knees  Wink

I'm fairly long-limbed, so I don't have the huge sleeves problem too often. I'm more likely to find things that don't fit properly over my broad shoulders and do that weird bunching thing. Hence my huge collection of tank tops and interest in making custom sweaters. I rely a lot on the SnB Nation guide for customizing sweater patterns. But I agree. I'm getting really tired of patterns that either end too small or assume that a big-chested girl doesn't want anything that's fitted. I like to show what my momma gave me.

BTw, discussing custom sizing problems? My old roommate (also a knitter) had to adapt ever single pattern she had, since she was 5'4" and a 42 JJ cup before her breast reduction surgery.That's a whole lot of short rows.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
verycrafty
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006 09:35:25 PM »

I am a big boobed chick! They don't even have my size in most stores. I wear a 34D (i think. I dunno because I can never find it Tongue) I usually wear smalls just because I hate the way that bigger sizes don't fit my shape. I hate that they always ride up though so I always have to wear a jacket in school (cause you can't show belly)

anyway here are my measurements. they may be a little off because I wrote them down like a year ago anyway

Bust (at largest circumference): 35"
Underbust (which'd actually be your bra size, easy one  ): 30 (not my bra size either Tongue)
Waist (smallest circumference): 27"
Underarm to waist:( sorry the only meause ment I don't have and I don't have a tape measurer with me)
Hips (largest circumference): 34" (yes.. my boobs are bigger than my hips)
Underarm to elbow: 10"
Circumference of upperarm: 10.5"
« Last Edit: May 14, 2006 09:37:31 PM by verycrafty » THIS ROCKS   Logged
fyberduck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006 10:49:46 PM »

I'm fairly long-limbed, so I don't have the huge sleeves problem too often. I'm more likely to find things that don't fit properly over my broad shoulders and do that weird bunching thing. Hence my huge collection of tank tops and interest in making custom sweaters. I rely a lot on the SnB Nation guide for customizing sweater patterns. But I agree. I'm getting really tired of patterns that either end too small or assume that a big-chested girl doesn't want anything that's fitted. I like to show what my momma gave me.

amen to that  Wink

BTw, discussing custom sizing problems? My old roommate (also a knitter) had to adapt ever single pattern she had, since she was 5'4" and a 42 JJ cup before her breast reduction surgery.That's a whole lot of short rows.

Poor thing!  My mom always warned me not to complain about my bust (45") cuz it could be worse, and a 42 JJ sounds it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the qfa:

Got a tape measurer?
loisgriffinwannabe
The knitter formerly known as Cutieknittahfairy...

Happy!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006 12:31:04 AM »

Poor thing!  My mom always warned me not to complain about my bust (45") cuz it could be worse, and a 42 JJ sounds it!

I'll say A-men to that as well! Yikes! I have a friend who is a 38FF, and she has to drive for two hours to go to the only store that she knows of that makes bras that fit her. Each time she will have to shell out $150-300 for ONE bra.

Gawd.

Anyhoo, here are my:

Measurements:
Bust (at largest circumference): 45.5"
Underbust (which'd actually be your bra size, easy one  Wink): 40"
Waist (smallest circumference): 38"
Underarm to waist: (if I measured right) 9.5"
Hips (largest circumference): 51" (As Shakira would say, hips don't lie)  Kiss
Underarm to elbow: 9"
Circumference of upperarm: 14"

Emms Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ysolda
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006 08:17:28 AM »

My Measurements:
Bust (at largest circumference): 35"
Underbust (which'd actually be your bra size, easy one  Wink): 31"
Underarm to waist: 8"
Hips (largest circumference): 36"
Circumference of upperarm: 11" (with the muscle tensed, 9.5 otherwise)

Damn useful thread by the way. I'm always moaning about standard sizing charts. I suppose the problem is that there really is no 'average' size. I wish adapting patterns was seen as more fundamental knowledge, and made easier by the way patterns are written.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting patterns and all sorts of  crafty adventures: http://ysolda.me.uk
kinkyknit
Pathological Knitter

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006 08:29:45 AM »

It's fascinating how different people can be!

Measurements:
Bust (at largest circumference): 38"
Underbust (which'd actually be your bra size, easy one  ): (30" - yes, my bra size.  30FF)
Underarm to waist:13"
Hips (largest circumference): 38"
Circumference of upperarm 12 and a bit"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Chibi Faces
How to Draw Skulls
How to Draw a Basic Manga Mouth
How to Do the Graffiti Letter D
How to Draw a Panther
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...