A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,696
Currently Running With Scissors:
423 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 1952 Vintage Vogue Dress- 2nd dress added 05/20  (Read 18151 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Just_A_Girl
[Insert witty title here]

Straight to this very day it was the wrong way

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2006 05:31:38 PM »

Absolutely gorgeous!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I blame it on the bunny....

[Future home of a someday blog URL]
fade2black

"One man's trash is another girl's treasure"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2006 09:42:00 PM »

not prommy at all. more lie ka rgual;r sun dress. but you must have defiately stood out! and it was really well done.

Thanks! Prom is actually a little less formal nowadays. I literally went through hundreds of 'prom' dresses online and in stores and many of them weren't your average prom dress. I saw dresses for $400+ that looked a lot less formal that mine. Crazy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hilatron

Robots craft too!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2006 12:04:46 PM »

Yeah, my mom did it exactly as it said to in the instructions. The only thing we did differently was add a straight stitch right across the bottom of the band because the fabric was too heavy and the hand stitch wasn't holding well.

Thanks for the info!  I may try something different, because I'm not into all that slipstitching.  (Although I'm beginning to think this dress is not meant to be...the fabric I bought for the contrast band turned all streaky in the wash!  Grrr!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafty Robot: Handmade goods for discerning humans
CelebritySkin
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2006 03:20:40 PM »

I have a wedding to go to soon and that would be the perfect dress!!!!  It's so freaking adorable!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cccaryyy

doot en doot doo dooo...

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2006 11:19:07 PM »

you look gorgeous =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ikkerina
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2006 09:49:59 AM »

what cccaryyy said  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

She got back on mainframe
   She got crack on cocaine
   She got crack on seeing
   Cheater, cheater...
fade2black

"One man's trash is another girl's treasure"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2006 02:01:12 PM »

Yeah, my mom did it exactly as it said to in the instructions. The only thing we did differently was add a straight stitch right across the bottom of the band because the fabric was too heavy and the hand stitch wasn't holding well.

Thanks for the info!  I may try something different, because I'm not into all that slipstitching.  (Although I'm beginning to think this dress is not meant to be...the fabric I bought for the contrast band turned all streaky in the wash!  Grrr!)

No problem! I don't even know what a slipstitch is either, so uhh yeah. Haha. I think it holds better if you just do a regular straight stitch anyways. But yeah, you must show me your dress when you finish it!!

Anyways, well I finished that other dress for the wedding I was talking about. The wedding was today and I just got back from it about 30 minutes ago, actually. I've got a bunch of other stuff to do today but while I'm waiting for my feet to stop hurting from my heels, I might as well post here! Haha. Smiley

I guess this dress was easier since it was the second time, but we actually had more problems with it. We tried making the bodice for the petite size this time since I'm kinda [really] short-waisted and we kept having to adjust the first one. Something happened though and it ended up being HUUUUGE. We still ended up having to do a lot of adjusting anyways. We adjusted the bodice so much that the circumference of the skirt actually ended up being too big so we had to gather it a bit so we wouldn't have to alter the bodice or the skirt. I think it actually ended up being cuter because the fabric this time was super thin so it gave it a little more...floof. Tongue

But yeah, this dress was REALLY comfortable because the fabric was so thin and breathable. Definitely a bonus considering the wedding was outdoors.

That's me and my now cousin in-law.
She was so nervous! I was nervous and it wasn't even my wedding!

Me to the left.

Doesn't really show the dress, but this is the little devil who stole my heart.

And just because nothing is cuter than little kids in big kids clothes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Emmalou
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2006 07:11:58 PM »

I've been drooling over your dress since you posted it.  What type of fabric did you use for your prom dress?

Later this summer I get to go to a private showing of the King Tut exhibit, and it's super dressy.  Any other ideas what fabric I can use?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006 08:01:34 PM by Emmalou » THIS ROCKS   Logged

hilatron

Robots craft too!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2006 05:47:16 AM »

Well, I finally finished my version of 2902!

I may add a polka-dot band to the hem, as well.

Fade2black, I totally bow to you and your mom - this pattern was a struggle for me from start to finish!  I still don't like the way the contrast band was attached, although I thank you for the suggestion to skip the slipstitching (I actually just topstitched the damn thing on).  And am I nuts, or do the sewing instructions screw up the zipper insertion?  I'm pretty sure that they have you to do to the lining what you should do to the outer fabric, and vice versa, up until the end.  So the lining ends up lapping over the zipper instead of the fashion fabric.  At any rate: although I like the dress, I am SO GLAD this project is done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafty Robot: Handmade goods for discerning humans
rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2006 05:54:08 AM »

wow, all the dresses are beautiful!  it is really inspiring to see the same dress over and over in different fabrics, it just goes to show how versatile this pattern is and now of course i want it.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do: www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Rock the Shimmery Trend for Daytime
Celebrity Street Style Recap Jessica Alba, Gwen Stefani and Selma Blair
Ugly Christmas Sweaters Are a Hot Commodity
How to Care for Leather and Suede
Chris Brown Adds A Shirt With Him And Rihanna To Clothing Line
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup
@Home This Weekend: Bee Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...