A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,699
Currently Running With Scissors:
654 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gift for my dad who is a mechanic?  (Read 4227 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crafty___x

Hey unloving, I will love you.

View Profile WWW
« on: May 13, 2006 10:53:54 AM »

Hmm.. any ideas for my dad who is a mechanic/guy who fixes a lot of stuff?

He fixes cars and machines.. anything pretty much. He does a lot of yard work I guess and likes to build things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tinxerb377

Bloody Hell!!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006 12:29:52 PM »

I made a birthday gift for my godfather who is a mechanic. Hope it inspires you: I bought a cute set of mechanic robes 9i dont know if they are called like that, they are those sets of jumpers tey wear Huh) color blue and I wrote on my computer " BEST FIXER IN THE WORLD" and I printed it and made a stencil out of it. I painted the words (with the stencil of course) on the back of the jumper with white paint. He loved it and wears it a LOT ill have to make him a new one! Hope this gives you and idea for your dad Wink

** Ohh the "BEST FIXER IN THE WORLD'' thing is a joke betwen us two... you should put something that when he reads it before working puts a smile in his face Grin
      good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Inside every HEART with dust, there lies a creature called LUST.
AriesEJ
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006 01:11:27 PM »

I'm not sure about crafty things for a mechanic dad, but my Pop loves
1) those red rags they sell in auto stores/auto dept. 
2) a really good tire gauge (they lose those so often). 
3) A device that telescopes (like an antenna) that has a magnet on the end.  It is for when they drop something in the engine. 
4) Different sized funnels. (they get all happy over those--go figure)
5) huge tub of orange scented oil/grease remover for his hands.
6) curel lotion for after he scrubs the oil off his hands.  Heals cuts and stuff.
7) I already bought a model kit with his fav nascar driver.  Tony Stewart.  Plus glue.
Cool my sister bought my Pop a neat cooler, drink holder for the middle of a bench type seat.   
9) I bought a organizer that hangs on the back of the seat.  Could make one.
10) a new duffel bag that has his fav team on it, car manufacturer, or tool company. 
11) small set of sockets.  Metric or American.  They lose those all the time, too.
12) mag lite.
13) heavy duty thermos.  My Pop throws his in the back of his truck and it can take being run over, etc.  (no glass inside).  Could engrave something on it.  An in-joke for the two of you.
14) of course a new tool box. 
15) a more expensive tool box that stays in the garage.  They usually come in red and have shallow drawers. 
16) another expensive item: new stereo, satellite radio (subscription might be a drag, tho'), new speakers.
17) a really good window cleaner.  The type with sponge/netting on one side, squeegee on the other. 
18) a couple of really good window scrapers, so he will always have one handy.
19) find out what kind of jack he'd like. 
20) an engraving tool, so he can i.d. his tools and stuff.
21) subscription to his fav mag
22) gift certificate to auto catalogs (Whitney's is one)
23) a cool house key that some places sell that have fav teams on.
24) new key fob. 

Crafty kind of things.
1) shop shirt with embroidery on it.  I'm going to use Sublime Stitching patterns.  Like a flaming guitar with his name in it.  Every man likes to believe he is rock star.  Indulge him.  Could do the collar, back or cuffs with a little something, besides the obvious chest area.  Could use clip art or copy drawings of cars and use fabric paint if embroidery is too involved.  (lots of work)
2) dollar stores have cheap baseball caps and I embroidered a design for my best/f's husband.
3) a cosy for his cell phone
4) I made a grocery bag holder and hotpad with the same fish cloth.  Could find car themed fabric.
5) Men love baked goods.  Pies, cakes, bread, cookies.  Make his own stash.  I make my Pop his fav and mail it to him.  I like to tell him it is the mail and he's pretty happy for the days it takes to get there, plus the day he gets it he calls and he will tell me "thank you, thank you, thank you!"
6) new key fob.  A easy one to make is one or two strips of leather or suede.  Put it through a split keyring and thread pony beads and plastic "bone" on and knot it.  Use colors he likes or sports team colors.
7) something to hold his car related papers in the glove compartment (registration, insurance info), could be an easy folder type or do a crafster search to find out how to make a pouch with a zipper (zippers--arg!). 
Cool a pouch for owner's manual, or a pouch for tools that get lost easy (like L-wrenches or spark plug gap measure-thingies).  Use tough material, for the items that will be sitting in a tool box.  Could find a sturdy wooden box, decorate it for putting those aforementioned small tools. 
9) something you made to hang over the mirror.  My Father bought a handmade dream catcher.  Could make something that reminds him of you.  Small picture decoupaged on a fimo clay item (cube, frame, flat tile), hang it from an elastic loop for easy application.
That's all I can think of, mechanic related.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
curlyfy
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006 10:52:42 PM »

Oh wow AriesEJ  has alot of good ideas!  You could take some of those items and put them in a decorated box, tool box or basket and turn it into a Mechanics Grab Bag or Basket Gift.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Deenie
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008 09:56:48 AM »

bumping this up as I'm going to be thinking of something for my hubby from my boys. He LOVES to tinker in the garage with his Jeep. always modifying something or other, these are great ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dena
Mom of two toddlers
I want more time to work on projects!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Waffle Cable Stitch Part 5/9
How to Crochet a Waffle Cable Stitch Part 6/9
How to Crochet a Waffle Cable Stitch Part 1/9
How to Crochet a Vintage Baby Hat Part 6/10
How to Crochet a Vintage Baby Hat Part 4/10
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...