A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,083
Currently Running With Scissors:
772 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tote for Mom (w/upholstery & mary engelbreit)  (Read 852 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crystal0901
« on: May 13, 2006 09:13:56 AM »

My mom owns a business and is constantly dragging work home - in plastic grocery bags!  Its funny to me what she will spend oodles of money on...and then she tries to carry heavy files and staplers in a grocery bag.  So, knowing how much she loves Mary Engelbreit I made this for her.  Next time I do a bag with pleats I think I'll do two on each side instead of one (under the ends of the handle straps). 

The tote is square-bottomed, though the way its pressed against the corner of the window that's hard to tell.  I used a sale piece of upholstery fabric for the outside and the Mary Engelbreit fabric on the inside.  The pockets are made from leftover squares from a sort of sentimental quilt I made my dad (piano keys represent my younger sister, who was killed in a car wreck seven years ago, and the other pocket is "support your troops" fabric to represent my little family - husband is Army and is deployed right now).  For the applique, I cheated and used fabric glue.

I would say that altogether the materials cost less than $10.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2006 09:19:32 AM by crystal0901 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.mylongestyear.com
A Story of Deployment as Told through Crafts & MiscAdventures
junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006 09:38:59 AM »

what a great job you did and I'm sure those little extras inside will bring tears of joy! I am sure she'll love it!
 I chuckled when I read about the grocery bags I do the same thing and my husband just laughs at me! All the bags I make and give away there has to be one I can use! I just say I'll get around to it one of these days.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dejavugirl
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006 09:27:29 PM »

That tote is gorgeous and I bet you that she will cry when you give it to her.  It's got a lot of love in it.

I have some of that Mary Engelbreit fabric, too.  I've been hoarding it, I just don't know what to make with it!  It is so sweet.

I use an ugly old store-bought tote myself and I know that I really should make myself something spectacular - it would be free advertising!  But I never seem to have time...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CrazeeMoi
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006 09:59:54 PM »

That is beautiful!!! She will treasure always too.  hmmmmmm  she might not use it  cuz she loves it so much  lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crystal0901
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006 10:40:37 PM »

Thanks for the comments.  I'm not a huge Mary E. fan in terms of what I would wear, but I do think her stuff is very graphic and pretty and I like that this particular fabric could go with so many other colors.  Unfortunately I didn't find it in a heavier weight fabric so I had to use it as the lining (versus the outside), but I kind of like the idea of it peeking out from the bag - a little more subtle that way.  I really love the upholstery I picked up - a sort of fake velvet/velour that I also picked up in a pretty teal. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.mylongestyear.com
A Story of Deployment as Told through Crafts & MiscAdventures
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
ISO Settings Explained
Memory Card Options
Portrait Photography Basics
Selecting an Everyday White Balance Setting
Time Lapse Photography Tips
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...