A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,603
Currently Running With Scissors:
689 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tote for Mom (w/upholstery & mary engelbreit)  (Read 874 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crystal0901
« on: May 13, 2006 09:13:56 AM »

My mom owns a business and is constantly dragging work home - in plastic grocery bags!  Its funny to me what she will spend oodles of money on...and then she tries to carry heavy files and staplers in a grocery bag.  So, knowing how much she loves Mary Engelbreit I made this for her.  Next time I do a bag with pleats I think I'll do two on each side instead of one (under the ends of the handle straps). 

The tote is square-bottomed, though the way its pressed against the corner of the window that's hard to tell.  I used a sale piece of upholstery fabric for the outside and the Mary Engelbreit fabric on the inside.  The pockets are made from leftover squares from a sort of sentimental quilt I made my dad (piano keys represent my younger sister, who was killed in a car wreck seven years ago, and the other pocket is "support your troops" fabric to represent my little family - husband is Army and is deployed right now).  For the applique, I cheated and used fabric glue.

I would say that altogether the materials cost less than $10.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2006 09:19:32 AM by crystal0901 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.mylongestyear.com
A Story of Deployment as Told through Crafts & MiscAdventures
junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006 09:38:59 AM »

what a great job you did and I'm sure those little extras inside will bring tears of joy! I am sure she'll love it!
 I chuckled when I read about the grocery bags I do the same thing and my husband just laughs at me! All the bags I make and give away there has to be one I can use! I just say I'll get around to it one of these days.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dejavugirl
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006 09:27:29 PM »

That tote is gorgeous and I bet you that she will cry when you give it to her.  It's got a lot of love in it.

I have some of that Mary Engelbreit fabric, too.  I've been hoarding it, I just don't know what to make with it!  It is so sweet.

I use an ugly old store-bought tote myself and I know that I really should make myself something spectacular - it would be free advertising!  But I never seem to have time...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CrazeeMoi
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006 09:59:54 PM »

That is beautiful!!! She will treasure always too.  hmmmmmm  she might not use it  cuz she loves it so much  lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crystal0901
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006 10:40:37 PM »

Thanks for the comments.  I'm not a huge Mary E. fan in terms of what I would wear, but I do think her stuff is very graphic and pretty and I like that this particular fabric could go with so many other colors.  Unfortunately I didn't find it in a heavier weight fabric so I had to use it as the lining (versus the outside), but I kind of like the idea of it peeking out from the bag - a little more subtle that way.  I really love the upholstery I picked up - a sort of fake velvet/velour that I also picked up in a pretty teal. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.mylongestyear.com
A Story of Deployment as Told through Crafts & MiscAdventures
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tasty Beef Short Ribs
Chicken Stock on fixmyrecipe.com
Crock Pot Roast
Waffle House Waffles Recipe
How to make Mushroom Sliders
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...