A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 300,901
Currently Running With Scissors:
525 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bleach and water = Degreaser?  (Read 2802 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

splinter364

sofa king awesome :D

View Profile
« on: May 12, 2006 10:02:05 AM »

Hey craftster.org!
                         I havent degreased my screen since ive been using it (a month or so) and I found this article on www.ehow.com

http://www.ehow.com/how_10233_prepare-silk-screen.html

Is that a good idea instead of degreasing a screen?

Also, after I took off my emulsion a few times from making a screen etc etc, you can still see some of the stencil still on the screen after the emulsion is gone, is that okay?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
entriq
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006 02:43:47 PM »

I have never used bleach and Mr. Clean as a degreaser.  I am not sure of the benefits of that, but I have never used it, and I have prepped thousands of screens over the years.

I have always used a good emulsion remover to reclaim the screen.  You will often get "ghost" images there the ink has stained your fabric.  You can usually live with these for the most part.  It can affect the next print, but I wouldn't get too worried about that until it actually does.  If you feel you need to remove the ghost images, there are ghost removers.  Some of them are pretty caustic, and they are hard on the screen.  Still... I usually use them every 5 or 10 times I have reclaimed a screen.

If the stencil itself is staying in the screen, you might need to do a better job of reclaiming the screen.  It can cause blocking, and as you reuse the screen for other stencils, they all build up, and any emulsion that is left in the screen after washout will harden even more each time you expose the next screen until you just can't remove it no matter what you do.  Of course, sooner or latter the screen gets ripped or becomes loose and you need to start fresh anyway.

As far as what to degreaser - I have typically used Ulano Screen Degreaser Liquid No. 3 or some similar product.
I have also used stuff like Ulanogel 23 Roughening/Degreasing Gel, Haze Remover Paste No. 78 , and ulano ghost remover.

A poor mans degreaser that I have often used is Joy hand dishwashing liquid.  It works fine as a degreaser and wetting agent.  Just don't tell your screen you are using it, as you will hurt its feelings.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

entriq
ms_wu
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010 06:46:46 PM »

My screen is still waiting for either Joy or Mr. Clean to work at removing screen filler I used for a stencil last summer. 

Now summer is coming and I am so sad I may have to give up on even getting it cleaned out.  Should I go for purchasing the Ulano products or has it been too long sicne I could probably replace the screen for the cost of the products?  I put hours into scrubbing with Mr. Clean to no avail.  I have avoided using the screen filler ever since (the first two times I used it is was fine).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovevol
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010 05:08:57 PM »

Hey Entriq, A degreaser is different than a screen filler/emulsion remover. A degreaser is used AFTER the filler has been removed to clean off any dirt, dust, excess chemicals. At my shop we use an all purpose cleaner from Mrs. Meyers Clean Day or Green Clean (by clorox i think?). In the past i have used commercial degreasers and have found that it doesn't make too much of a difference.

What kind of screen filler are you using? If you have a Pearl Paint or Micheal's store near you they have a small selection of screen printing chemicals, if not you can buy from DickBlick.com or Silkscreeningsupplies.com.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Media Ready - DVD Studio Pro
How to Make a Title Sequence - Final Cut Pro 6
How to Use Color Correction - Final Cut Pro
How to Create Glowing Streaks - Motion 3
How to Create Lightsabers - Motion 3
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...