A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,042
Currently Running With Scissors:
623 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: This is awesome!  (Read 836 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

iLoVeCaReBeArS
« on: July 17, 2004 02:11:50 PM »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20755&item=4313832748&rd=1

^I love that.

Does anyone have a clue how to attempt making one?  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

boo
da_hanstar
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2004 03:17:27 PM »

wow your right that is really cool. I supose to make it though you would have to cut a hole in the wall and i dont think my mum would let me do that!! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
trufflegirl

chocolatiere extraordinaire

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2004 05:21:34 PM »

It says you don't have to cut a hole in the wall to do it... It also says that it holds about 6 cups of water, which isn't that much for something as tall/wide as that. So, obviously, the tank is really shallow --- maybe an inch or so deep?

I'm not sure how you'd go about making it, but maybe some silicon adhesive to hold the panels of glass (or plexiglass?) together would make it watertight... You'd have to get two pieces cut the same size, and then narrow strips to make the sides and bottom. If the pieces were cut to fit a standard picture frame, you could just glue that onto the front, I suppose. And you'd have to attach something (paper?) to the back so that you wouldn't see the wall behind it --- you could use a picture of an under-sea landscape or something, or just a solid colour. I have no idea how to hang it to make it stable, though...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. --- Dorothy Parker
fleurdelisgrrl
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2004 09:27:39 AM »

i wouldn't try making one on your own.  there was an episode of 'changing rooms' on bbc america where they tried to make their own shallow fish tanks and a couple of hours after putting the water in the tank split & burst.  made for good tv - but you probably wouldn't be so happy if it happened in your house.  Wink  i believe they did use just cut glass & silicone.  it just couldn't handle the weight & pressure of the water.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I learned this, at least, by my experiment; that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. - Thoreau
teehee
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2004 06:00:46 PM »

Hmm This seems similar in size to those little acrylic tanks. Some are marketed under the brand name Critter Keeper and they're less than $10. Plus they come with a lid, so your fish can't accidentally jump out. Theoretically, this is so simple and under $20.
1. Buy mini tank at pet store, Target, etc. (they're everywhere)
2. Buy or make a simple 5x7 ish frame.
3. Make a little wooden shelf about the same size as the tank.
4. Attach the "frame" to the tank with finishing nails (maybe wood glue could work.)
5. Secure shelf/ frame to stud in the wall.
6. Test for stability! Fill tank with water and set on shelf. Slam the door a few times, if the tank doesn't fall, it's fish safe.

It seemed the one in your link wasn't really flat or inserted in the wall. Look at the pics again and you'll see what I mean. You could probably even make the "frame" wrap around the sides too. I suspect it's possible to make an acrylic or glass tank as well. With something this small, there wouldn't be a lot of water pressure. You would have to be sure to use aquatic pet safe adhesive (check the pet store) and test it before adding fish. BTW Acrylic is expensive and hard to cut without breaking.

A hermit crab would work well too and they're non aquatic so you wouldn't have to worry about leaks. A tiny aquatic frog or a tiny terrestrial turtle would also work well. No goldfish-they're very dirty and require constant cleaning or a filter. I'd love to test my idea, but that's not an option right now. This is a cheap gift idea and it's on my to do list! Please share pics if you do this. (P.S. Please read my "trashy desk" post. I need help!) 

And trufflegirl is really smart! Add some sort of pic behind the "frame".
« Last Edit: July 28, 2004 06:07:32 PM by teehee » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Geometric Shape using an Airbrush
Airbrush Masking Techniques Tutorial
How to Create Spray Patterns using an Airbrush
How to Basic Airbrush Spray Techniques
Guide to Controlling an Airbrush
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...