A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
577 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ~~I made a cat tree!!~~ *pic heavy*  (Read 11089 times)
Tags for this thread: cat_condo , cat  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mochiko

friendly, absentminded daydreamer ^_^

View Profile
« on: May 11, 2006 11:47:25 PM »

Grin I hope this post works! This is my first post as a crafter although I am a long time lurker  Smiley

Soooo... after weeks of planning, drawing out plans, making a cheesy little cardboard model, and scouting around for building materials, etc. my boyfriend and I finally did it! In fact, tonight we finally placed the grand finale, Racer's bamboo pagoda/hut on top of this monstrosity we came up with!  Grin It's a bit larger than we imagined it would turn out to be, but I love it!! We made the "trunk" with four 1x6 planks of wood, formed his tunnel, cradle, and part of his hut with concrete tubes (made out of cardboard, not concrete!), fashioned the platforms so that they actually penetrate into the trunk and can be removed if necessary, and spent hours hotgluing and stapling the carpet, sisal rope and bamboo to embellish! I still have work to do, such as decorating the trunk with perhaps cut-out paw prints in a contrasting carpet and attaching some fun toys, but I just had to show off my boyfriend's (and partly my) hard work  Cheesy

aerial view of the entire structure, you can see the roof is barely inches from the ceiling!

racer playing on his new playground

just a close-up  Tongue

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions on how I should spruce up this cat tree. Thanks for looking!!

Grin He is still loving his palace! I'm so glad that he still appreciates it, it's his own hideout when he doesn't want to be disturbed Smiley

That is amazing!  I've been thinking for a long time of doing the same thing. Any hints before setting out? Thanks.

Well, here are a few hints I can come up with offhand before setting out~~

1. If you call up your local carpet dealers, they may sell you a cut of their leftover carpet scraps for cheap. Some places will sell them cheaper, so call a few to compare. One carpet dealer was kind enough to tell me that you can actually go to dumpsters and salvage a lot of still good quality carpet (just that new homeowners prefer to put in their own when they move in). Unfortunately I was too impatient to wait around for the darn rain to stop before dumpster hunting Roll Eyes

2. The same day I bought a piece of scrap carpet, I found that the business next door had thrown out quite a few large pieces of wood (I think they were a sign making business) so I grabbed those and was able to make the platforms and base out of them. If you drive by businesses especially on Saturday morning before the garbage trucks arrive, you can find scrap wood.

3. We bought a circular saw, jigsaw, drill, electric stapler (very useful with this project), screws, liquid nails all-purpose construction adhesive, a concrete tube (I think ours was 12"), utility knife to cut the carpet (be sure to get the platinum blades for this purpose, they last longer because carpet is pretty rough to cut), and various wood pieces to build the trunk and hut at the top of the tower. Hot glue gun is always helpful with gluing on the decorations (in our case, the bamboo mats that I bought at a dollar store)

4. This project took a bit longer than I had anticipated, but that was mostly because we didn't fully organize everything before setting out to the hardware store and/or we came up with different ideas to put things together. Planning is key Wink

5. If I had to do this all over again, I think I would have bought more sisal rope to wrap around more of the trunk. Racer loves to scratch on it, but I think it would have been possible for him to actually climb up if it was fully wrapped in sisal. Be sure to wrap it very tightly!

I hope these hints help! They are very basic, but you should check out the links I posted above. They have some amazing ideas and it is so much fun to mix and match to your own taste!!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011 03:31:34 PM by PixieVal - Reason: combined poster's hints and instructions into first post » THIS ROCKS   Logged
srdesigns

extraordinarily stephanie!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006 11:50:36 PM »

totally awesome, i have 5 cats, and every last one of them would love it :]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bancher
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006 02:28:41 AM »

wow, you did an amazing job with that!  hopefully it cost less than buying a storebought one, but just the satisfaction of making something for your baby is worth it if it cost more.  and it is totally unique and much bigger than any you can find!

i love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ms. Rosie

Helpz Mommee is a cwazee cat ladee!!!!!!!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006 02:41:39 AM »

That is super!  Great job - I know my four brats would love it & be fighting over it.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ok, so I am the crazy cat lady.  Live with it.
AllieStar
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006 08:37:55 AM »

Love it! Btw, I'm sending my cat to your house... lol  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

coffee. myspace. cupcakes. flickr. embroidery.
NEW! my crafty blog >> ice pink stars!
xcriot
Don't mind if I do..

MMMbop, It's like an addiction.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006 08:44:14 AM »

Oh that's so cute. I really want a cat now. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If these walls came crumblin' down
Fell so hard, to make us lose our faith
From what's left you'd figure it out
Still make lemonade taste like a sunny day
KiwiDragons
Get it together!

Stacked Sheep. :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006 12:21:30 PM »

Wow! That is amazing! I feel so stupid for buying one! Yours is even better than the one I bought. I'm sure your kitty is going to love that tree for years! I honestly can't think of any way you could improve it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists

Little Visitor Adventures
Charlie in MO
Zazie in Canada
xveganettex
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006 12:40:15 PM »

im jealous!its awesome!i have 2 concrete tunnel/tube things.....all i need is some wood and carpet! Tongue
for now ive just sat the tunnels on the floor ...the cats have alot of fun running through them lol

THIS ROCKS   Logged
abandonedcouch
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2006 10:58:47 AM »

lucky kitty! that looks awesome [and way fun to play on]

i've been thinking about making a cat tree for ages. my cats are seriously understimulated and i'd love to have something for them to romp on, but cat trees are SO expensive. seriously, some of the ones i've seen that aren't nearly as nice as yours cost more than a couch!

and considering that i don't even have a couch yet...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Signatures are for sissies.
littlebiddle
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2006 03:51:32 PM »

that is the most beautiful cat tree ever!  littlebiddle, boots, ruby and squigglebutt are very jealous.  they have a cat tree that they inherited, but it's not nearly as nice as yours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Correct Colors
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Move Selection from One Image into Another
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - Introducing Adobe Photoshop CS2
Adobe Production Studio - Working with the Scrub Tool
Adobe Production Studio - Adjusting Panels and Saving a Custom Workspace
Latest Blog Articles
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...