A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,967
Currently Running With Scissors:
703 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dog "In Training" jacket - not seeing eye dog jackets  (Read 3881 times)
Tags for this thread: pet_clothes  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mdkarr
« on: August 09, 2006 02:30:25 PM »

I have a dog that I rescued from New Orleans. She was actually a puppy and when we got home I enrolled her in a Dog school for extensive training. Most dogs that came out of the Katrina/Rita horror are scarred for life in one way or another. The school felt that with Penny, she would always be afraid of noises and people. Their suggestion was to get a jacket that just says, "In Training" and that would help to cut down on the people who just come up to a dog and try to pet it before asking the owner about the dog. So, here is the jacket, or links to different images of the jacket, so you can see it. The last link is another dog I rescued and who now resides happily with my oldest daughter. I Here is the description part of the listing to help describe the jacket. BTW - Penny is doing just fine and handles people a lot better than she did. Daisy too has gotten better living in the city and taking long walks every night.
---------------
"In Training" Jackets for Dogs

Dog Jackets that say, "In Training" for use when you want someone to ask first before petting your dog.

Do you have a shy dog or one that you just don't want someone petting without asking first? We do. It was suggested to us that we get a dog jacket which just said the words, "In Training". I looked online for one, but just couldn't find one that wasn't for seeing eye dogs. So I made one. It came out so nice that the Canine school she went too wants me to make them for their clients who need them. Believe me, this jacket has cut down on the number of people who don't understand that you just don't walk up to someone's dog and pet them without knowing if the dog is going to react in a good or bad way.
Especially children. With her jacket on, most parents actually do stop their children first and ask if they can pet the dog before allowing them to come up to her. It is at that time that I can instruct the child/person on how to approach and what to look for if my dog feels uncomfortable in any way. My dog was a Katrina rescue who was born shortly after Katrina, but before Rita. She is coming along slowly and may someday never need this jacket again, but right now, I am glad I have it. I will have to make her a new one, as you can see, she has grown so it does not reach to her tail anymore. Daisy is the other model and she is a Corgi/Dachshund/Beagle mix.

The jackets are made of quilted material in colors red and green only. Later, I might expand the colors, but this is what I have right now. The color of the letters are Gold on a white backing to help them stand out on both sides. There is a reflective strip on both sides also to help cars to see them at night. This jacket is also reversable so if you decide your dog no longer needs the words you will have a beautiful plain jacket to put on them when it gets colder. It is attached via velcro around the neck and stomach. It is for either male or female. What I am selling here is a custom made size so when you win, you will have to tell me the measurements of:

• measurement from the neck where the collar sits to just before the tail along the back.
  • measurement around the neck where the collar sits, like the neck size on a gentleman for a shirt.
  • measurement around the largest part of his belly/waist.

All the letters and the reflective strips and velcro are sewn on and the whole jacket is machine washable. Nothing comes apart in the wash. On the reverse side, you do not see any of the stitching for the letters or other items as it is made up of two pieces of material which is what makes it easily reversable.

Note: This jacket does not look like the Seeing Eye/Service dog jackets on purpose. They are not meant to allow you to take your dog into stores,parks,etc where dogs are not allowed. They are just meant to help your dog adjust to people slower by lessening the people who "pet first and ask later".
-------------
I have had fun learning machine embroidery and hope to embellish these jackets a little more as my learning curve lessens.

Mary
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010 04:43:32 PM by pixieval - Reason: revealed images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
tasha_tuk
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006 04:18:44 AM »

I think that is a great idea.
They look fantastic!
Your puppies are cuties Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tasha_Tuk
http://natashasnews.vox.com for my everyday stuff
http://natashasneedles.blogspot.com for my sewing and knitting
DanielleHicks

**Sissy my little dog that is only 17 years old**

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006 09:50:53 AM »

That is adorable and you did a great job quilting it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

greendestroyed
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006 09:04:54 PM »

Great job on that jacket! I have a maltipoo named penny.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

... :]
Bzoink

Photographer Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006 07:24:16 PM »

Haha that's really cute! Cute doggie too. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovemylabs
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006 01:05:35 PM »

Wow!  Great job!   Your dogs are soooo cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alacarte
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006 12:38:32 PM »

I think that's a great idea!  We have a deaf rescue dog.  She gets very nervous when people come out of nowhere and want to pet her.  She's getting better, though. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tie-Dye Your Cheesecake for a Festive Easter Feast
How to Make Candy Dots, the Homemade Way
Hummingbird Cake Recipes
How to Make Flowerpot Desserts
Treat Your Sweet Tooth to This Chocolate Mousse Crumble
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...